De-eliminating a fender?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by King_Panther13, Feb 8, 2011.

1. King_Panther13

King_Panther13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I'm looking into a used Ninja 650 (amongst other bikes) and every damn one that I find has the rear fender eliminated, and has those retardedly small LED turn signals put on. I'm planning on touring with the bike, and I've heard that without the rear fender, during rain mud likes to splash right up on luggage. Not to mention, I prefer turning signals that people can actually see.

Is it possible to restore a rear fender without spending a ton of cash (and most likely without having the original piece, as everyone down here throws away everything), or is it just more worth it to deal without having it?
  2. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    I just got offered a stock fender and stock exhaust for my FZ6 for $75 plus shipping, so they're out there. Just put up a WTB post on some Ninja 650 forum.

Now to sell this annoyingly loud aftermarket pipe...
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You could order the parts from your dealer. Have you priced them?
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    post up in flea market. you will likely get one for the cost of shipping.
  5. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy do I ever understand what you're talking about. Typical CL ad says, "power commander, Yoshi slip-on, fender eliminator kit", and the more they list makes the bike less appealing.
    When I was a wee lad, in my late teens I was talking to a fellow who was interested in my '63 Chevy II. I had a "built" engine in it, and a lot of other mods done. Finally, after I had gone on-and-on about all the modifications (which I thought were good things) he said, "The more you tell me, the less it's worth, and the less I want it". That certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear, but now I completely understand.
    I just bought a new GSX-R600 and the last thing I'll do is any sort of mod, and if I do add or change something, it will only be something that I can reverse when the time comes to sell it (which might be soon, before I lose my drivers license for felony speeding:rofl).

Lynn
  6. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    I have ordered all the parts to do a rear disc-brake conversion on my EX500 and a EX650/KLE650 regulator for my Versys from this Ebay seller: domnicprofenno

He ships fast and has good communication and seems to always have quite a few EX500 and EX650 parts for sale. I'd give him a try and even if he doesn't have it listed, he may have it if you just email him through Ebay. His prices are usually good and will combine shipping costs if you order more than one part. One other plus is he has a real shop with a real phone number that you can call if you have problems with your order.
  7. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    LOL, i'm there with you. When i had my first VFR everyone told me "go get a fender eliminator". Cool i thought, ordered one, wrestled that bish on there and though "looks badass". Then i rode in the rain. My back was covered from the water being flung up by the rear tire. Reinstalled the fender, sold the eliminator and have ridden happily ever after ever since.
  8. King_Panther13

Oddometer:
    Hmm lots of good ideas. I've never owned a bike newer than 1980 (unless you count my 50cc Razz's) so I wasn't sure as to if the fender eliminator was a hard modification, or if the fender was just simply removed. Either way, I know that when the squidly types down here modify something, the "excess" gets thrown away...and whenever I do buy myself a Ninja 650 it's a 90% chance that it's going to come from a squid.
  9. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    That rear fender/plate assembly bolts right on under the tail. Most 'undertails' will use that mounting point, rather than attaching to the plastic. The original may have been thrown away, but you can always replace it.

Suggest you price the original and use it as a bargaining chip when you buy one.
  10. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    I won't even look at a motorcycle with the fender removed, much less actually buy it. I have never heard of someone not buying a bike because it has a rear fender. It's bad enough on sport bikes, but I sorta understand it because they are repli-racers, no? And racers don't have rear fenders, I get it, wouldn't do it myself, but I get it. But why the hell do you do it to a Bandit, Versys, or ZRX. Anyway, no way I going to spend a penny restoring a rear fender. Besides, people who don't mess with the fender, I like the way they treat their bikes, well, most of em!
  11. King_Panther13

Oddometer:
    Actually, my CX500 had its rear fender removed when I went out to buy it...the guy said he wanted to make it a cafe racer then gave up (even though it still had the bucko bars lol). All it had was a crappy iron cross for a brake light, no signals. I almost didn't buy it, but this was an old guy who, y'know, owned a CX500 and he whipped out a box with the fender, signals, etc.

From what I've picked up, it's a fad, as most squidly types in this area anyhow don't know anything about racing, have never been to a track, and most likely never will. But I don't care how my bikes look, I'm in it for practicality.
  12. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
  13. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    My SV1000s was like that when I got it, flush mounts in the front, some retarded leds in the back instead of the turn signals and a fender eliminator.

Got the 4 turn signals, rear mudguard, license plate light, reflectors and brackets, all in almost new condition, for less than the price of only two new turn signals.

Place WTB ads on brand specific forums, resort to e-bay as the last option as you'll probably end up buying from different sellers and the shipping adds up.
  14. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I never understood, why someone would make a bike harder to see, by putting smaller lights on it.

As far as removing the fender, afraid to use the word chopped?:D
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Its not chopping on a lot of bikes, its a simple unbolting procedure.

One of mine it takes 4 bolts and a disconnecting three set of wires and the whole thing light plate and all comes off.

Handy for track days.
  16. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    I don't get the "fender eliminator" fad either... I like my fender. It gives my turn signals something to be mounted to.
  17. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I wish that were the case. I always end up mounting them off the toprack since they interfere with the side cases. :baldy
  18. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate when the vehicle in front of me covers me in mud...

I don't understand why you would want to hide the license plate if you're not doing anything illegal on public roads. It will only make it harder to recover the bike if it is stolen and might also make the cops think that you might be trying to hide something.

I don't understand why you would want to remove the reflectors or have smaller turn signals. The most common excuse is "I didn't see the motorcycle", why would you want to make yourself less visible?

I hate having my back covered in mud, which happens if you remove the fender. I do ride my bikes in the rain.