"Deactivate brake light" (?) F750GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by CourtFisher, May 31, 2020.

1. CourtFisher

CourtFisher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Max BMW sponsoring a track day at Lime Rock, says brake light must be 'deactivated'.

Can anyone suggest a quick-and-dirty, track-side procedure to deactivate the brake light on a '19 F750GS, without messing with other electrical components on CAN BUS?

Owners manual says only that LED brake light is 'self-contained' unit (bulb cannot be removed separately); and suggests that fuse for circuit including brake light effects other critical systems.
    I don't have access yet to BMW Repair Manual DVD, which might show enough under seat wiring detail (?)

Thanks for any advice!
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you just tinfoil and tape to cover them?
  3. CourtFisher

Oddometer:
    Thanks! One of the solutions I'm asking Max BMW.
  4. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    I'm sure Max BMW will tell you what you need to do hopefully they don't charge for the fix.
  5. CourtFisher

Oddometer:
    Yep...Max BMW says 'taping over' brake light = 'deactivated' Easy peasy. Might still be interesting to know if there's a quick 'n dirty disconnect. Thanks all!
  6. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Disconnect connector to taillight?
  7. CourtFisher

Oddometer:
    Thanks Zoef. Yep, that's a logical description. But (for this non-techie), there are various connectors under the seat near the brakelight housing, and it's not clear, without a schematic/ wiring diagram, which is the right connector. Even if I know which is the right connector, it's not clear to me that simply pulling a plug won't 'disrupt' some other CAN BUS function.
    (BTW, haven't ridden out to Finnoy Island, but through Stavanger several times, up the coast road thru Ardal, and on the main southbound ferry, a beautiful stretch of the coast :-)).