Dead battery advice after battery just died

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by The Other JC, Sep 14, 2019.

1. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    I bought and installed an Odyssey PC535 battery at the beginning 2014 for my R1200GS Adventure

For the past few months I have had the symptom that when first trying to start the bike after a few days there is little to no power, just a pathetic half attempt to turn the motor over.

If I then waited for a few minutes and tried again the battery power seemed restored and the engine turned over and kicked into life without issue; and no issue later in the day or next day.

This weekend I have gone to do the same after a week of no use and the battery is absolutely just dead flat.. showing 3.8 Volts on the multi-meter.

I cannot find any information on batteries dying in this manner. I have no add-ons attached to the power.

I had expected another 3-4 years out of this battery from all that I have read.

Anyone got any ideas?

I am loathe to spend $100+ on a charger if the battery is just f**ked to then have to spend another $210 on a new one that will never need the charger.

I use the bike almost weekly and have never had to charge it.

Thoughts?
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1.). That battery is likely toast. @roger 04 rt has a detailed post on rejuvenating an Odyssey battery. It is a detailed procedure that requires patience and a suitable charger.

2.) There is no reason whatsoever to pay $200+ for a PC535 battery. They're readily available online for < $150. I bought my last one at a local Battery Mart for only about $135.
    ultane and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  3. The Other JC

Oddometer:
    Aha very interesting.. thanks for that.. I am in Australia.. everything is expensive! $210 is the cheap price that I can find.

Reading that post I might pull the starter motor to have a looksee and give it a clean also. Bike is now at 72,000klm.

It is just odd that the battery died so completely in those few days.
  4. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The good news is that you ride your bike every week. No need for a charger.

The bad news is your battery is pushing towards six years old. You really thought it would last another 3-4 years?!

Just put a new battery in. The behavior you observed is consistent with a battery struggling to hold a charge.
  5. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    5 years isn’t bad for that battery. At least 3650 starts....you do the math per start. Pretty convenient for the monetary outlay.
    ultane likes this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Although debated at nauseum elsewhere, Odyssey batteries do require Odyssey battery tenders to be maintained properly when not in use. If you plan on buying another Odyssey battery, you may want to invest in Odyssey specific tender first and see if you can save the battery you've got. Odyssey batteries can last a bit longer and yours may not be dead dead - there's chance that properly charged, it'll come back to life.

If you don't plan on buying another Odyssey battery, you can find some other one which can be maintained by assortment of chargers/tenders. An example at local Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNXSMR1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

:thumb
  7. The Other JC

Oddometer:
    Thanks people. Where did those 5 years go! Other info I found claimed 8-10 year battery life for these batteries.

It just seemed odd behavior over time to find the power after a couple of minutes after a false start with the ignition on, to then die completely to 3.8Volts in a week- absolutely no life from the bike at all.. I initially thought the onboard computer had failed when absolutely nothing happened when I turned the key. I have never experienced this in all my years with a least a pathetic click of the starter solenoid showing evidence of a flat battery in previous cars/bikes.

I shall just get a new battery I think hoping it is not an effect of an issue with the bike electrics. I would not have the confidence in a 'bought to life' battery. Bump starting this beast is out of the question in my physical state if it fails again out on a trip. Just getting on and off the damn thing is becoming a struggle, but I do love this bike.

My previous bike, a shitbox GPz900, had a shitbox old battery for many years and died only a slow death over time - lasting longer than this expensive battery. That bike was used less than this one and sat for over a year without use at one stage.

Maybe I was just unlucky with this particular battery.
  8. Jager

Jager Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to bear in mind is that older bikes, and their electrical systems, had far less dependence upon a robust electrical output than do newer bikes (and cars). Newer bikes will fail in lots of ways if voltage drops beyond a certain threshold. And they fail suddenly, with their microprocessor controls simply saying 'no.'

Which is one reason why a sketchy battery in a newer vehicle is a good way to end up on the side of the road.
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I leave my pc680 disconnected for 6+ mo. at a time, and doing so has worked for 5+ years. Upon my return, I put a 6-8 amp float charger (cost < US$25) to the battery posts for several hours to overnight. That works well, for me.

Note that here in the US there's now a viable copy of the PC680 from Odyssey. I bought a replacement Full Throttle FT230 AGM, and it's been working great for over a year now. Was about a $20-25 savings.
  10. The Other JC

Oddometer:
    Thanks lewisjr1, however I doubt your voltage has ever dropped below 11volts in the worst of times.. down to 3.8 volts in a week suggests an internal implosion of sorts, after all it would not have started at all the previous weekend if it could not muster 12.4Volts. ( or close to) . Very peculiar all told.