Dead battery or...?could use some help in Augusta, GA

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by John E, Oct 7, 2017.

1. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have left Augusta...

New starter arrived via Amazon, tested and installed, works better than the old one!

Made it on the road and I'm almost in Birmingham, AL.

Thanks for the help and advice, looks like I'll be trying to get as far as Albuquerque and then I'll have to park it and fly home. Gotta new job starting on Saturday and I need to be home by Friday.

P.S. Had the shifter linkage detach from the tranny while on the Atlanta bypass highway, spent a while on the side of the road but got it fixed and picked up some loctite at a auto parts store for a better repair tomorrow.
    Good times...
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like real Adventure!

I forgot to mention but sometimes it could be corrosion on connectors, especially if was kept outside in humid East Coast conditions. Cleaning terminals, connectors and packing them with dialectic (terminal) grease makes big difference..

Good luck on your trip hopefully starter is the last thing and you will get home safely!

The friend of mine had his rear brake line fail on his R1150RT we had replacement line brazed on in hydraulic shop. Took us 5hr to bleed the bloody thing, you have to take plastics and tank to get to servo, and we made an improvised funel out of plastic cup. Good thing we had extra pair of hands.

IMHO BMW seriously over-engineer their bikes they're not roadside repair friendly.
  3. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made it to Santa Fe a couple of hours ago, dinner at the Plaza cafe and found the right motel.

I'm flying home tomorrow, ran out of time waiting for the starter, I'll be coming back to pick up the bike and finish the trip in a few days. Gotta get back to work so I can pay for this little adventure I've been having.

Onward...
    Dracula and cyclopathic like this.
  4. John E

John E Long timer

Oddometer:
    To bring this whole saga to a finish, the bike is now parked and waiting in a long term parking lot in an otherwise secret location somewhere near Albuquerque.

My flight home was uneventful, little expensive due to buying the ticket a few hours before departure but I earned a lot of extra miles on Southwest Airlines!

I made it home in time to grab a few hours sleep before heading to work this morning at 4am.

Thanks for all the help.
    CrStep, cyclopathic and Dracula like this.
  5. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it home with time to spare. :D As you see, it's not much about saving sometimes ... BTDT.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck the adventure is going on!