Dead Battery (Tender?)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by micklevanon, Nov 28, 2011.

1. micklevanon

micklevanon Wordman

Oddometer:
    Hi, quick question. I accidentally left my ignition turned on for 4 hours (I know, I'm an idiot, I fully admit this!). I shut it off. 3 hours later I tried to start the bike. It cranked slowly twice, then I get the click of a dead battery. No surprise right? I hooked up my battery tender, and get a flashing red light. Two days later, light is still flashing red, bike is not starting. The battery is only 8-9 months old! Any ideas.

As always, thanks in advance, seems my mileage may vary.

signed, dead in Clearwater! It's riding season in Florida for cryin' out loud! Need to ride. Please help!

cheers
    mick
  2. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    Check to make sure you have the polarity correct. If so check the battery voltage. If you are at 0 volts the tender will not charge it. To charge a 0 volt battery you will need to hook up a good battery in a parallel circuit (+ to + and - to -) this will trick the tender into thinking it is hooked up to a larger battery with low voltage. Do not leave this set up unattended. Check the temp of both batteries every 15 min and regularly disconnect the good battery to see if the bike battery is taking a charge.
  3. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    More info, puhleeze-

What kind of battery is/was on the bike, and what flavor of Battery Tender is it?...

If it's a flooded battery, add water if it needs any, and put the charger back on for the time being.

As to the need for a second battery to begin charging a completely flat battery, all you need is ~3 volts, so a momentary connection to a 9v battery will be enough to wake up a Battery Tender. As long as the flat battery remains connected, the B-T will continue to charge.
  4. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Deltran tender's instructions say that a blinking red light means its not charging at all. Check the connections at both ends.
  5. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    Can you expand on this "wake up" a Battery Tender?

I've got a BT that I am basically ready to toss out. It won't change from blinking red. I pulled it out after a few months just recently, and I've tried plugging it into my GS, and my G450, and my tractor... (all these vehicles start up daily and show good voltage). No luck, every morning, still blinking red.
  6. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Battery Tender will not charge a totally dead battery, or one with very low voltage.

You need to hook up a 'dumb' charger and get some voltage built up, or jump start / jump charge the battery.
  7. Sport

Sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not true at least on one of my bikes with a totally dead battery. Took awhile but it charged up completely and worked fine for years. Check where you've plugged in your tender. Is it directly into an outlet or into a power strip or an extension cord. If its into a power strip or you have other items plugged into the same power strip it may not work.
  8. micklevanon

micklevanon Wordman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try to hook up a friend's larger battery charger to it to see if it can get some life back, or take it to Batteries Plus and see if they can charge it.I just hope I don't have to buy a new one. Thanks again.

m
  9. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Are we talking about a CanBus bike here? The Battery Tender won't work if hooked-up through the Powerlet socket. An SAE pigtail is the way to go, among other methods. That said, if the installed pigtail's polarity isn't correct, then you'll also get the flashing red light.
  10. gratitude

gratitude n00b

Oddometer:
    The trick with the 9 volt battery mentioned earlier was just the ticket for my 2003 Ninja 250.

I just Left the blinking battery tender on there, and HELD the positive connection of the 9volt battery to the positive connection of the Motorcycle battery, while holding a bent piece of a binder clip between the negative conector of the 9volt battery and the negative conector of the motorcycle battery.

I held thee in place for nigh 1 minute, and my battery tender, after I tried a few different positions with the 9volt and the piece of binder clip, stopped blinking when I held the setup in placer for a minute.
  11. BOB RAMSAY

BOB RAMSAY Not in the Clique -

Oddometer:
    Check the fuse in the Battery Tender if it has one.
    Don't ask how I know this (twice...)
    Stasher1 and zivi123 like this.
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Bob, if you act quickly and don't let the discharged battery sit too long, you'll likely successfully resurrect it. I would not rely on a low current tender however. I would charge it at about 4 amp with a smart charger. As mentioned, you may need to apply some voltage to your dead battery to trick the smart charger. Many chargers do not go into the charge mode if the battery is below some threshold voltage.

I would remove the battery from the bike and monitor the battery temperature while charging.

Finally, if you are successful, you might want to then have the battery load tested to ascertain the health of your newly resurrected battery.

Good luck.

13. Beecher Snipes

Beecher Snipes Fool

Oddometer:
    Gratitude is on the right path. You just need to make the battery tender think there is something there. You can fool it with your car charger or that 9 volt battery. Now go out and buy a decent charger. Optimate, Xtreme, Ctec other smart chargers.
  14. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    This is the reason I don't like Battery Tenders and other "smart" chargers. They're too smart.

I just hook my battery up to a bench power supply set to 14.4 V max voltage, 2 A max current. Works great. (Higher max current is probably OK, but check for your battery.)
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1. 10V or less is a battery at 0% state of charge.

This is in agreement with the advice that Odyssey gives for recharging its batteries. You may just get enough charge in an hour to get it going. As DEF pointed out it is better to recharge a dead battery as soon as you can.
  16. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Yes, but few of have an adjustable power supply.
  17. 5 Hour Butt

5 Hour Butt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BMW battery charger for my R1200GS that I always use every time I park it in my garage. That is what keeps the battery like new! The battery I have is 3 years old and is in perfect condition! That is really nice since it is a battery I bought at Advance Auto Parts because they do have BMW parts and It's the best battery I've ever had! :1drink
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Don't stand too close when they turn on the particle accelerator. Wear lead underwear and keep your battery in a concrete bunker. :eek1