'DeadHand System"(aka SARWATCH) - looking for trial users

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Pepperjack, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Pepperjack

Pepperjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Gang,

I built a system that will activate if you don't deactivate it - kind of like a Dead Hand system. OR you could think of it like a SARWATCH system (as Pilots use when going over Remote Areas or Water)

The idea is that when you go riding etc you set it to activate in say 4 hours, upon your return in 2-3 hours you deactivate it - if you don't return, it will fire off and email/sms your NOK/Loved ones etc, telling them where you set off from, what you are carrying, approximate search area - all that stuff.

I'm using it myself.. it is pretty cool.. but I would like to have a few beta testers.

Looking for people are mad as me - that go on MidWeek night time solo rides etc.. i.e. people that do often get out and need someone to be keeping an eye on them.

drop me a PM and I'll set you up. Any Timezone is fine, it works automagiclly
    charliektm400exc likes this.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i guess my first Q would be is this satellite based? and four hrs wont work for me,,, can i set any time? 12-14 hrs would be normal.
  3. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Time cam be set to anything...this is just like someone keeping an eye out for you and if you don't 'check in' then an alarm is raised. You check in by going to a website with an auth code.

This isn't live tracking etc. It's a different system. It's like when you go for a ride and tell your friend, wife, mum etc and they're keeping an eye out for you..except this is a system which is keeping an eye out for you.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
    DiabloADV likes this.
  4. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    What if I don't have access to a web connection when I end my days riding? I wouldn't want to set the time for multiple days as a lot could happen in that span of time. I often am out for overnight or multi day trips where there is no connection to the outside world other than perhaps by satellite.
  5. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    So what do you do..? If you were to get stuck out there, no comms...pinned under your bike etc..who would notice? or would you just die and no one would say anything?

6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    SPOT tracker. Thinking I might upgrade to a Delorme for the added ability to send text messages.

I'm not critical of this new idea, just trying to figure out the advantages and disadvantages compared to other devices.
  7. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Overcomplicating things here.. this is a service, not a technology. there is no real time tracking, no spot, no Delorme.. think of this like the girlfriend who knows you are out ADV Riding, Fishing, Bushwalking, MTB Riding - whatever.. and when you don't get back at an agreed time (or check in [web]) she raise an alarm for you.

I'm divorced, so I often do stuff at night rather than sit at home and watch mindless dribble on TV.. and no one knows I am out in the bush. I don't always take my Spot or Delorme with me so what happens if I get hurt/immobilised/lost and I don't have cell signal - I'm screwed. it would be 2 days until my friends or folks wonder why they haven't heard from me. I would likely die of exposure or something like that.

So when I go bush, I open my deadhead page, lets say I'm going MTB riding - usually 1.5 hours. I set it for 3 hours from start time - essentially if I haven't checked back(deactivated) in in 3 hours then clearly something is wrong. When I check in I say where I am, what I am doing etc. If I fail to check back in in three hours(or 120 hours, or whatever I set it to) then the system will send me 15 emails, one per minute, warming me it is about to trigger. If I don't deactivate it will send 15 emails(one per minute) to my Level 1 escalation contacts (NOK, friends etc) - if I selected L2 escalation when I started my activity it will progress on from my L1 contacts(assuming they don't respond) to my L2 contacts (I have my L2 in another timezone).

believe me, when it goes off - you can't mistake it.

The goal is - that if I don't check in, this system is keeping an eye out for me an alerts people. It saves me from ringing a friend on a Monday night at 8.30pm and saying I'm going MTB Riding - please keep an ear out for my safe return. It's nice to know, someone has your back (in this case my system does).

I could extend it such that if it receives an 'ok' message from my Spot Messenger then that would also deactivate it. I could also phone a friend, give them my auth code(One Time password would be easy to make) and they can deactivate also.

Think of this like a minder. It's called a dead hand because it will trigger at a given time in the absence of a human telling it not to. Clearly I'm also a fan of cold war history also!

Hopefully that answers all questions.. if anyone is keen to give it a go - PM me.
  8. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So why don't you always carry your Spot or Delorme? If you own them, it's kinda silly not to carry one. In the aviation world, we have the option of filing a flight plan. If you don't close your flight plan at the end of your flight, the notification system starts. Pilot's forget to close flight plans all the time and they are trained.
  9. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like this idea! It is simple and couple probably be accomplished with nothing more than an app. It isn't as fancy or functional as a Spot but that isn't the point of it.
    jackbyo likes this.
  10. s1marks

s1marks Mercedes

Oddometer:
    I like this idea. It's a good idea for;
    a) Someone who doesn't own an active spot, delorme inreach or plb device.
    b) Someone who rides in area where there may not be cell phone coverage.
    c) Someone who rides alone.
    d) Someone who lives alone (or is frequently 'home alone' before they decide to go out riding).
    e) Someone who otherwise will not be noticed missing until X hours too late.

I'm not knocking this idea, it's a great idea and I see it as a useful service. If the above 5 don't apply to you, then the service is not designed for you.

To the OP, I think the negativity that you perceive on here is that most people can't check all of the above 5 boxes. I can't so I am not an ideal person to sign up. I do ride alone, at night in remote areas midweek, from time to time though!

I am all for this kind of thing. Worst thing ever is to here of someone 'dying' out there who could not be found in time. Also, take a look at my sig line and look into Spotwalla. I am currently signed up through my cell phone (not perfect but better than nothing and it's free!). It provides some level of tracking, it would work well in tandem (i.e. it would complement very well) the service you are offering..

S1
  11. TheStovePipeKid

TheStovePipeKid Safety Man

Oddometer:
    PM sent.
  12. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
  13. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    You could hook it up to an SMS service, or assign it a phone number, and a call or text with the PIN would add X amount of time.
  14. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Just had a look.. well I built this for my own fun, for my own self. It's not going to be a business enterprise etc. Seems those systems are all effectively the same in concept but these are more aimed at kicking off a process when you die. The shortest time period i saw that you could set is one day..I can set a dead hand switch for 10 minutes from now.

My system is really about keeping an eye out for you when you do something, classic example is..it's 9pm and I'm going for a Mountain bike ride for a few hours - and I love alone. I set it for 3 time. I know, that people will be looking for me from midnight.

Seems the same in concept, but timeframes are different. Mine is much more tactical as opposed to strategic. Those systems are more aimed at Digital Wills and that kind of thing.

biggziff likes this.
  15. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Yep, indeed. Good idea
  16. BadgerDog

BadgerDog It was a dark and story night...

Oddometer:
    PM sent, and a bump. I need this.
  17. Pepperjack

Oddometer:
    Life has gotten in the way her folks..will post when I'm able to get on it.!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk