Deadhorse and fires

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by the1mavin, Jul 10, 2019.

1. the1mavin

the1mavin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been up the haul road recently? We made plans six months ago and I'm wondering how interesting the fire is making travel?

Thanks!
  2. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  3. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ya, big one at Livengood area. saw it on the news. look how puny the Kenai fire looks by comparison....
  4. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fairbanks air quality has been listed as hazardous for the last few days with the recommendation that everyone remain indoors and avoid any physical activity outside. Visibility is less than two miles due to heavy smoke.
  5. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree, smoke and heat in Fairbanks are bad. The eastern edge of the Shovel Creek fire is five miles from our house but fire managers have been very good with suppression and info. I did evacuate some of the bikes with the help of bike buddies who dropped their own priorities to help out. So we're on standby "Alert Level One" for evac. Unless weather gets violent with lightening and big winds, which could happen, we should be OK. Fire size including backburns is now 23,000+ acres. Not our first rodeo with wildfire close by, and probably not the last. We live in a forest of "gasoline on a stick" aka black spruce trees.

[​IMG]
    Shovel Creek Fire July 10, 2019 Fairbanks AK
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, we are hoping for the best for you and Cee.
    Fast Idle, AK650 and AKDuc like this.
  7. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    David, I have your address so I can see your location on Google Earth but the reports call out neighborhoods by name.
    What is the name of the neighborhood they consider you to be in?

Back around when this fire was first reported I didn’t have much luck in determining where you were or how far from the fire & what direction the fire & wind was moving. Then on July 2nd you reported that the fire was 10 miles away. Didn’t necessarily seem all that threatening then but a lot depends on wind conditions/direction.
    Was hoping that they had got the fire more under a lot more control by now. Don’t sound like it & it’s been a month. 15%?
    Your report on the fire that 2 miles away from you in 2011:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/burning.689644/#post-15964419
    At that same time I had a big fire in the woods right next door so I know the feeling. It's pretty damn scary & you're helpless to stop it.
    Good luck & please keep us posted.
  8. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    They put our road in Coyote Jones subdivision but we are directly under Moose Mountain subdivision. Though we're so old, the hill didn't have a name when we moved onto it...

Had a bit of rain last night and today so humidity level is up. Cooling the house off and can breathe semi-clear air outside. The fire is at 23,734 acres and 15% contained as of today.
    Several alert levels have been reduced. And some crews have left for other fires. I thought the contained number would be higher by now too.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6400/
    Bad news about the Kobe fire in Anderson, that came up fast.
    Fast Idle, KHud, Tom S and 1 other person like this.
  9. AKMotorbiker

AKMotorbiker Searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    I rode up to Deadhorse on the July 6th. Hess Creek Fire was smoking pretty good. When I came back down on Sunday July 7th it was smoked out from 100 miles North of Fairbanks all the way back to Anchorage. There was one blue sky patch above Talkeetna. Everything changes depending on the wind, humidity, and rain. I wouldn't cancel my plans until I was told to turn around by the Troopers or Fire Department. I hope your trip works out!
    ThatGuy and bigjohnsd like this.
  10. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In prudhoe now. Hess creek fire still smoking but not bad. Air is ok and the roadway is completely normal. Fire is not anywhere close to the dalton...
    Bigbob1 likes this.