1. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    It's been awhile since I've bought a motorcycle from a dealership... usually buy my dirt bikes used.

I was talking to a dealership in San Bernardino and the sales person added $890 ADM fee to the bike I'm interested in... sales person said that fee is to cover putting the bike together from the crate, oil, gas, shake down etc.

Doesn't the manufacturer reimburse or provide assistance to dealers for this already?
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Additional Dealer Markup. It is pure profit for the dealership.

If you're looking for a KTM, I'd recommend two brothers in Costa Mesa. Been a few years but they didn't play any games and gave me a fair price on a couple of high demand bikes when I bought from them. And they were a 200 mile RT from where I was living at the time.
    Davethestick likes this.
  3. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would go ahead and take the deal after adding your $1800.00 customer acceptance fee to the bottom of the invoice.
    MeefZah likes this.
  4. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Chop Chop

Oddometer:
    Unless it’s a high demand bike, you might get a competing dealer to offer less, maybe MSRP plus tax and reg. Prior Model year or late season bikes usually get another $1K reduction. Highly variable by region, dealer, etc but that is what I have seen when shopping. I will not pay ADM and will keep shopping dealers until it’s gone, if needed. MSRP is fair, and usually mid point of the possible price range and leaves some profit for the dealer and salesperson.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that! But it never hurts to try to negotiate.

Many years ago I worked at a Yamaha shop and all I did was un-crate and set up bikes. Now days many bikes are assembled and delivered set up to the dealer by a service.
  6. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately its the Tenere T7 so it is high demand and/or limited supply.

I called another large dealership in Azusa and they have one on the showroom floor. Sales person there told me the ADM is $1700. I asked him what that was and he just sputtered and talked in circles. Said it includes freight and other things. He said that he doesn't know the breakdown.

Guess I'll keep looking or just wait until the bikes are growing cobwebs on the showroom floors.
    MrGadalot likes this.
  7. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle sales are up about 50% right now. I think dealers can pretty much charge what they want.

If you noticed, there aren't a whole lot of bikes on the floors of the stores now.
    Mrstig and Davethestick like this.
  8. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Chop Chop

Oddometer:
    Yep, higher demand and limited supply, so there is a markup. I was talking to the guys at TO Powersports, and they mentioned at least a month wait until they get more in. The initial ones they received were sold to folks on a waiting list, I think. I am guessing no deals on this bike for another 6-12 months. I also noticed limited in stock supply of the Betas at the other dealer I go to...
  9. DirtRider....

Oddometer:
    I fully understand limited supply but don't want to be price gouged just because of limited supply. I'm fine with paying MSRP + fees on popular bikes but don't ADM me just because.

MSRP was created for a reason... i'm fine with waiting in line until one becomes available.

That's like being okay with paying $200 for a roll of toilet paper just because TP is in high demand when COVID hit.
    Surcease and MrGadalot like this.
  10. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Chop Chop

Oddometer:
    DirtRider.... likes this.
  11. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here. My first job was uncrating and setting up bikes at a m/c shop. For years, I bought all of my bikes crated (dirt and street) - would rather set it up myself, but that option went away a long time ago after all the lawyers got involved and dealers started worrying about liability issues. I long for the good ol' days...
    Strong Bad likes this.
  12. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In 1966 bought 2 brand new Hodaka Ace 90's from Kenny Johnson of K&N fame at Yamaha of Montclair out the door $800 for both! Have things changed a little:-)
    DirtRider.... likes this.
  13. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    I've given up on dealerships at this point. It's almost comical how archaic the whole model is and how awful and unhelpful some of them are. Don't even get me started on the parts counters... lol
  14. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are good dealers out there, granted they can be few and far between. Anyone who is determined to grind the last little bit of profit out of a purchase has no right to complain about the quality of the hired help (I'm not accusing you).
    I try to make sure that a dealer comes out OK when I purchase a bike. A couple hundred bucks can be a tiny percentage of the purchase price, but a significant percentage of the dealer's profit. I don't tolerate bullshit fees that a dealer pulls out of his ass though.
    GalacticGS and Strong Bad like this.
  15. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    I totally agree. I generally have no issue paying a touch more for something I could get cheaper online if I can locally. BUT, when they don't have it in stock and its very universal, I just don't get it. Why pay them more to order something that I can? That's the point of the brick and mortar. It's gotten worse and worse. I can click through a parts fische and ask year, make, model too.