Deals Gap Trip- Day 3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by FormerInmate 081920, May 9, 2002.

1. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning came with a nice rough-around-the-edges feeling to it. Steve and I were able to get breakfast in while the others slept late. We had agreed to have the wheels turning at 7:30. But Blinker Boy is not a morning person. We didn’t get on the road until 8:15.

A short slab ride up I-75 and we hit 25W north to TN 90 to KY 74 and up above the clouds into coal country. 25W is a great little road that runs along a river. I was in the lead and Steve was in the back.. He actually stayed back there longer than I expected, but sure enough, he was soon on my wing.

We turned right onto TN 90 and started climbing the hills. It was a tight twisty road with the top of the guard rails at the road surface level. If you took the time to look down it was a long drop! I stopped to get a quick pic and heard Ed say that the road scared the hell out of him :D He must have been looking down too much!

We knew we were in KY when the road turned to shit. Potholes, patches, screwed up railroad crossings and deep ruts caused by the coal trucks. The guys in the lead stopped at the top for a break and everyone got back together.

We hit Middlesboro, KY and the late sleepers were hungry. A short stop at Mickie D’s and they were ok. Rob had to turn his Sprint RS back south and home. It was fun riding with him through the hills. Nice guy with a good sense of humor. He was the only non-beemer in the crowd and took all the teasing in stride :thumb

We took 25E north to US 119 and started making some time. It’s a two lane slab like road going through the KY valleys. Now it was my turn to have shit blow out and lost a VA and WVA map. :rolleyes

Just to the east of Cumberland, KY US 119 turns twisty and we had a ball going up and over the mountain. Three of us hit something slick in the road going down and I almost went bit it when I got my front wheel in that shit in a serious lean trying to set up a double yellow pass. Dayum!!

We were supposed to turn south at US 23 and pick up VA 83 just over the state line. Steve was in the front and headed north. :confused Bill was behind me in the back and we pulled over to wait things out. Ed realized that they were going in the wrong direction and tried to slow ‘em down. Nope.

Due to my screw up yesterday, Steve was bound and determined that we were wrong and he was right :D They must have ridden 20 miles out of the way. Bill and I were on the side of the road laughing and trying to figure out how long it was going to take for them to turn around. We finally saddled up and slowly headed after them thinking they may be on the side of the road over the next hill. Nope, they were riding :lol1 So 3 out of the 5 riders made a wrong turn. Not too bad :rofl

After heading in the right direction, we stopped at the top of the hill on US 23 at the VA/KY state line to fill up. A bunch of Hog’s rode up. One ask where we were from, we said Harrisonburg, VA. He wanted to know if we were going to make home it that day. :rolleyes Just some local cruisers that probably trailer their bikes to bike week!!

Rick was hungry, So we stopped on VA 83 in the little burg of Clintwood, VA. He was getting worried about the distance he had to travel and decided to split off from us and head on home. The last we saw him was at the VA 83 VA 80 fork in Haysi, VA. It was fun traveling with Blinker Boy. He has a great sense of humor, too!! And always has a flask of something in his bags!! :1drink And his blinker is on for miles and miles :rofl

We stopped at Grundy, VA for a short time so Steve could see a school he helped build. He left the firm before it was finished and was curious. He informed us that it was 6 hours by US 460 and the slab to get home from that spot. Looked like the fun was over. I really want to go back down to that part of Virginia. I don’t think there is a bad road there.

The four of us headed out again. US 460 is a divided road but it has some nice sweepers going through the mountains. The whole town of Grundy is being moved to the top of a mountain. It’s cheaper than rebuilding it after every flood. You can see where they are leveling the mountain off to put the town.

At Bluefield WV, we had a quick rest stop. Ed had the next day off and was not pressed for time. He was looking at the map and decided to head deeper into WVA. We were looking at the clock and decided to hit the slab. Now the fun was really over. Ed split off to catch US 219 N through WV and we headed to the slab and all the 18 wheelers rolling on a Sunday evening up I-81.

It was a fun weekend!! Great time riding with some fun people!!! Riding the slab, I was laughing just thinking about all the bullshit that happened during the trip. D My thanks to all!! :thumb

Pics at http://www.pbase.com/epfister/deals_gapfrtrs_photos
  2. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day three's story just kept going and going :rofl

Looks like y'll had a great time.
  3. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:
    :rofl

:dood it was a long day!! I kinda screwed up with the route home and had too many back roads in a part of the country I had never been through. :D We started at 8:15am and got home at 9:30pm that night.

:lol1
  4. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    He means your post keeps going! Repeats itself about three times. Time for some editing dude! :dood

Where is the link to the pics???

The funniest part about the Harley's was when we told them we had been to Deal's Gap. "That's supposed to be a nice ride" one of them mumbled and Bill replied, "Yeah if you like turns". Shut them up quick!

I did not go the wrong way, I had just chosen an alternate route. We still could have gotten there from the way I was going!
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
  6. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:
    :stupid

:rofl

is that better?
  7. raven955i

raven955i formerly - lenq

Oddometer: