Dear God No, Not another Alaska Ride Report: Los Angeles to Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AllSeasonRider, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, I will be 75 this year when I do my third trip......and I am not old.
    BIG-E, black 8 and 95Monster like this.
  2. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am thankful for any advise. 130 something miles of dirt road is not really something I'm looking forward to but dang I hate to go and pass up something then get home and say I wish I had. Have just upgraded shocks, but better smart than stupid.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. taylor

taylor Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope I will still be able to type when I get 75!
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Dawson City-Chicken-Tok tale: In '17, my wing man and met a great group of H-D riders while refueling at Stewart Crossing. The three couples were all riding their own machines, the guys on tricked-out trikes and their wives on Screamin' Eagle dressers. They'd been on the road about a month and we enjoyed talking with them. We bumped into them a time or two while enjoying the amenities of Dawson City, too. The morning we left for Chicken, they were waiting at the ferry and we had a chance to speak with them again. As soon as we got off the ferry, they waved us ahead. We didn't see them again until Chicken. They rolled in about the time we were leaving and, with weather closing in, they asked if they could ride with us. A few miles down the road, we came upon four road graders working in tandem and the whole road for half a mile was a soft and now a very muddy quagmire. I went first and nearly went down on my GSA followed by my wing man. Then, the ladies on those fancy dressers negotiated the construction and made it through without a dab. The road turned to pavement a few hundred yards later so my wing man and I rolled on to Tok. At dinner at Fast Eddies, we run into the H-D riders, again. The guys started talking about how treacherous the construction zone was and we just smiled in agreement. Their wives gave them a bunch of well-deserved crap. A couple of days later, we saw them, again, on the Denali Highway and they were having as good a time as we were.

Mike
    rs42sport, OV10, Merfman and 2 others like this.
  5. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taylor, don't worry about it and just do both roads:

Top of the World:
    [​IMG]

The Denali Highway:
    [​IMG]

If you're lucky, you'll get a nice view of Denali:
    [​IMG]

Both roads are hard packed and can have some washboard. Just slow down and enjoy. I've ridden both in rain and they aren't that bad.

Mike
    NSFW, lvscrvs, black 8 and 4 others like this.
  6. fzrcraig

fzrcraig Offensive to Most

Oddometer:
    Not the first Alaska RR report that I have read, but definitely the most enjoyable. Thanks for taking us along.
    YLBiker and AllSeasonRider like this.
  7. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    95Monster likes this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @thirsty 1 I see you've mentioned Corrales in the first paragraph of your thread, so I'm definitely going to give it a read!
  9. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    DUDE!!! You gotta Go!!! It's the best! Make sure to ask for a 4 way and get some extra hot sauces! :rofl Its my old staple so I have a love thing with it..:D
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'll have to try the 4 way. I'm a transplant, but a buddy grew up in Ventura got me hooked on the vegetarian burrito with chicken. Yeah it makes no sense but it's so good!
  11. SpencerR

SpencerR ShiftGearsChugBeers

Oddometer:
    I've read this entire RR three times now. The pictures, story delivery, and emotion really are entertaining and inspiring. I have May 27-June 17 approved off this year for a vacation with my wife. She still doesnt know if she can get the time approved (new job). If she can, great. If she cant, then I'm headed to Tuk. Thanks for sharing this, truly.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  12. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll never forget you pulling out a cigar and a beer at the Arctic Circle! Cheers brother!
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @95Monster I recall being a bit miffed about the lack of fanfare when I arrived in Tuk. I thought for the sure the locals knew I was coming and would at least have a small parade going in my honor. A cigar would have done nicely in its absence!
    NSFW, 72 Yamaha RD350, gpfan and 3 others like this.
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @SpencerR Oh man, this is awkward, but only the first reading is free. I'll PM you PayPal details so you can pay for the 2 extras :deal

You *might* be a hair early in the season with that schedule, but if it works out and the weather is looking halfway decent for Tuk, DO IT! And if you can swing it, try to camp up there and spend a little more time than I did.
  15. SpencerR

SpencerR ShiftGearsChugBeers

Oddometer:
    I've paid money for 400 page books that I couldnt stand after one chapter, so paying for a good story is no issue to me! :p3rry

I am slightly worried about being early to the party up there. My plan is to abuse myself on the way up with high mileage days to give myself plenty of time to wait out ferries, rain, or whatever other wrenches in the spokes. I'm also trying not to get myself too hyped to go yet because if the wife does get the time off then tuk wont happen until 2021 because I will be in a cabana on a warm beach with a BAC of 0.25 instead
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Both options sound pretty good.
    SpencerR, ScotsFire and gpfan like this.
  17. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another thanks for sharing your journey. Very well expressed, which is not unusual on this superb forum, but also truly well written and well illustrated.

Your photos are very good, and complemented the narrative very well. If talking photography is not of interest, please just ignore this inquiry, no problem. But should you be willing to share any insights about shooting, editing, or choosing what to post, or just the hard facts such as camera(s), lenses tripod or tripod alternative, filters you actually used, this reader would be interested.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kudos.

I wouldn't even pretend to consider myself a "photographer" as I believe it'd be an insult to those who have really put some time and effort into learning the craft - I'm a hobbyist as best. That said, I have gotten similar feedback, specifically regarding composition, on my pictures. I might have read an article here or there on how to do it, but for the most part I look at photos I like and try to pick out the parts that make it a good photo. What's the subject, how far is it from the lens, what the POV is, wide angle or telephoto, etc. At the end of the day, though, I just click the shutter when the frame looks "right". If it doesn't look right, I move - change the zoom, crouch down, step closer to or further from the subject - change something until it's right. For the record, in most scenario, holding the camera up to your face while standing is about the most boring perspective you can get - I'm almost always on the ground or holding the camera over my head for a more interesting viewpoint. I admit this was FAR more enjoyable when I used to use a DSLR with a real viewfinder, but that's what I do. If I'm not feeling particularly creative, I tend to default to wide-angle landscapes, shot low to the ground and showing a lot of sky.

As for editing, I'm truly a novice. All of these photos were edited on the road on my phone, using the OOTB Samsung photo editor. I don't love the color saturation some of them have, and I'm unimpressed with the HDR abilities, but it's good enough for these ride reports. I'll get around to choosing a few to make prints of, but I'll re-edit them before doing so. This was the first big trip I shot in RAW, so there will be a learning curve with that.

Equipment is minimal. I used to bring a DSLR, 1 or 2 lenses, and a small tripod. At the end of the day, I used a single lens 95%+ of the time, and the whole setup was just too bulky, so I sold it all and got a Canon G7X Mark II. Overall I'm happy with it.

I used to really enjoy using polarizing filters, but they're no bueno for wide-angle work which I'm doing more and more of lately, so I left it home this trip. I only used a UV filter, just to protect the lens.

When choosing what to post, there are only two criteria:
    1) Does it look good as a photo, standing on it's own merits? If so, then I post it.
    2) Is it a shit photo, but still manages to enrich the story? If so, then I post it.

Hope that helps!
  19. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve left the full frame gear at home, too. Using a Sony RX10, good camera for distant wildlife and scenics. Polarizer tip: Use a step up ring and an oversized filter. No vignetting.
  20. superfunkomatic

superfunkomatic Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer:
    An enjoyable read. It's nice to have a humourous narrative to relive my riding experience up there. Good to see some familiar and unfamiliar sights.
    Did you do the Tide pod thing when you got back or did I miss it? ;)
    Brokenhorse and AllSeasonRider like this.