Dear God No, Not another Alaska Ride Report: Los Angeles to Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AllSeasonRider, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Martygarrison

Martygarrison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m leaving Tuesday from Whitefish, Montana on very close to the same route. I’m on a Honda 250 so at some point I’m sure you will wizz past me.
    OV10, MannyUrrego, wilsonjw42 and 2 others like this.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'll try to keep the roost down as I wave!
  3. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look at taking the Ferry from Whitter to Valdez (if strike gets settled).
    Nice relaxing cruze and the road out (and in) of Valdez is amazing.

If you do the road to Valdez consider the 100 mile plus run out to the Kennicott Mine.
    Decent flat gravel road, very scenic and the Mine is interesting to tour.
    We rode across the pedestrian bridge and no one seemed to care.

Rest stop here near Lodi, Ca if you pass by.

Safe Travels
    mikegc, AllSeasonRider and wilsonjw42 like this.
  4. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @holckster I'm not planning on any ferries, but I'm not ruling it out, either. Whittier to Valdez is a good idea - I was previously only thinking of Skagway/Haines. Kennicott is also penciled in, all depending on how the schedule is looking.

Appreciate the offer, but I'n thinking of running up the other side of the Sierras to get north.

For those paying attention, I still don't know what my route it to get from here to the Canadian border. I'm pretty sure I want to avoid Portland and Seattle, and cross at Osoyoos/Oroville, but still debating a route. Was going to run 397 and 97 all the way up, but heading fruther east into NV and taking 395/95/17/97 might be a little quicker...
  5. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    There's a smaller border crossing a few miles west of Oroville, called Nighthawk. From Oroville, go west on the road leading to the golf course (Loomis-Oroville Road, I think). It runs along the Simalkameen River and is a twisty, fun ride. It's a one-lane border crossing which usually has no wait times, as opposed to Osoyoos, which took 45 minutes the first time I went north.
    CCitis, rkover1, NSFW and 1 other person like this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

it really makes sense.

so, they let you take off for 2 months. in my case, i have to quit to get that many days even though i have 70 days in the bank.

have fun.
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a So Cal to Watson Lake trip and took 395 to 95 all the way up to Radium Hot Springs. I visited friends in Boise, but I think I’d go that way again anyways.

Loved Liard Hot Springs.
    95Monster likes this.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This time of year Oroville can be high 90s to 100s
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  10. Viper7

Viper7 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ride north of Osoyoos is beautiful. We took the 97c through Ashcroft and the roads were nearly empty, the scenery was amazing, and the corners were fast and fun. Traffic along the lakes can be a bit slow until you get to 97c. Quite a few towns to pass through. Great views though.
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I wish 2 months! Only three weeks off.

We're you able to make good time going up? It looks like taking 5 and 97 saves a couple hours, and I'm not taking this trip to tour CA and the PNW, so I'm tempted to just make time...

This has been part of my dilemma - traffic and a busier border by taking the 5 the whole way, or slightly slower progress overall if I stay further east.

I'll probably decide that morning.

Oh, who am I kidding - I'll probably take the 5 to NorCal and decide if I stay on the 5 or take 97 when I see the exit!
  12. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ASR, I came up through Glacier, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. The Icefields Parkway was spectacular. If I were to do it again I would plan 3 days along that route to be able to enjoy all that there is! Lodging is difficult to find in this area also. FYI
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    It will probably come out to a little less than 3 days to cover all that, but not by much. I'm figuring on finding a room/campsite off the main route in Hinton or so ... I've been told it's easier to come by, there.

I've also been told that the east entrance of Glacier is less busy, so was going to try to find a sleep spot there and head over Going To The Sun first thing the next morning. Crossing my fingers I've not been lied to!
  14. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hinton KOA is very reasonable and tent sites were easy to come by when we went through there.
    Have a great trip!
    NSFW and AllSeasonRider like this.
  15. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were up that way about a month ago...truly epic trip in store for you. And yeah, lots of bears.

Skagway was pretty awesome, but we heard from some NJ Harley riders we met at Trails End BMW in Fairbanks "Ya gotta go to Hydaa" spoken in the gravel-iest New Jersey accent I've ever heard. So, we went to Hyder. Honestly, you can skip crossing the border to Hyder unless you really want to, but there isnt much there. The best part was the road to get to Stewart. Lots of great mountain views and scenic lake, river, and glaciers.
    95Monster and AllSeasonRider like this.
  16. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you include usb cable/baling wire in your packing list ?? :lol3
    Looking forward to your RR.
    P1040044.JPG
  17. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I don’t like doing big mile days, I usually max 300 mile days so I went Temecula to Bishop, Bishop to a town in Nevada I can’t remember the name of, that town to Boise, Boise to Moscow, Moscow to Radium.

Just realized I didn’t really answer your question, yes, I was able to make good time on that route. The only place I got hung up was some road construction just south of Boise.
    AllSeasonRider and Davethestick like this.
  18. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AllSeasonRider Oh Shit! That was you at Noobs Rally in March with the broken exhaust bracket on you KTM? Hope you remember me, I was the guy with the blue Tiger. We rode to Hunter Mountain together with @headstaller leading the way.
    NSFW and AllSeasonRider like this.
  19. Little Bike

Oddometer:
    I was on that ride too! :lol3
    NSFW, outdoorsman and AllSeasonRider like this.
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Two is one and one is none, and since I need one for actually charging I'm packing...4? 4 feels like the right number.

I've also carried my own bailing wire with me every day since, even when I'm just walking. Can't be too prepared.

I will also be packing a spare key, since that was the other snafu that day!