Dear God No, Not another Alaska Ride Report: Los Angeles to Alaska 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AllSeasonRider, Aug 2, 2019.

1. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    In!
    :lurk

Wheelie occassionally.

Have fun and....

Ride well!

Dave
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  2. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! Ride safe!
  3. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Checking in from Ashcroft, BC. Roads are empty because they're all in this Tim Hortons! On and off rain all day, heated gear came out, and I'm enjoying the lower speeds limits up here.

Prince George tonight, then I can slow down. Still in go go go mode for now.

More later.
  4. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Bike! I'm in Longview, AB Heading up the Icefields Pkwy tomorrow and will be wandering around Alaska and NE Canada for the next couple of weeks before I head back, I'm on an 06 V-Strom if you see me.
    bobw and AllSeasonRider like this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Well, I finally made it to Prince George this evening, and staying with
    @GISdood . The conversation and company has been more than welcome as I've been limited to gas station attendants and motel clerks, who have generally been less than excited for a dirty biker to be patronizing their establishment.

To back up some, things got moving Saturday morning without a hitch. The absurdly early start was aided by my wife who was also leaving for out of town and had to catch an early morning flight. What she doesn't know is I planned it that way - now she had to leave the house first and be the bad guy!

Escape from L.A. is no problemo before the sun comes up, and after it was only an issue when a Buick tried to occupy my lane on the 5. I showed it my bear fighting face and it leaked a little fuel and got back in line. Crisis averted.

Temps were warmer over the Grapevine than I was expecting. The Central Valley did its best Kansas impression as always, but the mountains to the left are always a dead giveaway.

Between Sacramento and Redding is where the rain first showed up, and it's been on and off ever since. North of Redding and through southern Oregon was also a treat - the 5 was not the drawn out slog I was fearing.

I stayed overnight in Vancouver, WA. It's just across the river from Portland, so it was an easy choice in that it was the laziest way to be in Washington State by that night.

This morning was more on and off rain with temps dipping into the mid-50's. By no means cold, but my blood has been thinned considerably by SoCal, so the heated jacket and gloves came out at the first gas stop.

The area immediately around the border is ho-hum, but British Columbia really starts showing off shortly thereafter. It's been impressive and entertaining scenery the whole time in BC so far. Google maps even did a funny thing routing me around Williams Lake, and put me on some really nice twisty tarmac in the middle of nowhere. Flowy, in great shape and no one else around, it was perfect.

Well, almost perfect. Pandora started playing Nickleback and since I was on the bike I couldn't hit the thumbs down button. So now Pandora thinks I'm indifferent about Nickleback, which is a real shame.

The sky turned quite black for a while around McLeese lake with lightening all over the place. It seemed I was going to go around the storm, but eventually found myself in the middle of it.

I kid you not, "Here Comes the Sun" came on Pandora and the rain stopped for the rest of the ride.

Rolled into Prince George for a visit with @GISdood , had a drink, some good conversation, and a little route planning, and now it's time to zonk out.

Starting tomorrow (oh crap, it's tomorrow already...) things will slow down and I can get some proper photos posted.
  6. ssgmiddleton

ssgmiddleton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope I'm not too late to help with the whole bear thing. This link has everything you ever needed to know about bears and their plan to take over: http://bearmageddon.com/ It's chocked full of expert advice on how to die like a man when you ultimately have to fight one.

Ride safe
    td63, Amphib, AllSeasonRider and 2 others like this.
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Yes you're too late! I don't know how Milepost is required reading for a trip like this, but this book is not mentioned. I'm happy to hear that bears want to kill us all, and there's comfort in knowing my demise is inevitable.

Of course I didn't read Milepost, either, so I probably wouldn't have read this ahead of time. I got the cliff notes from the Amazon page:
    518NsNLE-CL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  8. jameyers22

jameyers22 n00b

Oddometer:
    So awesome. Great progress so far on your day 3. Bike looks great - lean and mean setup, though not a lot of room to move around, no? Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!
  9. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    The Great Basin has my bear canister right on top, so I sit on that once in a while. I spend a lot of time standing on the pegs like a poser- er... uh, to stretch my legs and get my helmet into some clean air.
    bobw likes this.
  10. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Rainy start this morning because British Columbia, amirite?
    20190812_085104.jpg

Rain went away in short order after I yelled at the clouds a bit. Sun came out for a while, and now having lunch in Houston.

Nice to get something other than gas station food in me. I told myself I was going to eat well on this trip - had a banana at my very first stop on Saturday, but it's been Tim Hortons and rice crispy treats ever since.

Planning to stop in Stewart for tonight.
  11. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you’re going to Stewart you get to have yummy fish at the bus in Hyder.
    Phoenix101, bobw and AllSeasonRider like this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    That's the plan!
    Little Bike likes this.
  13. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully more salmon in Fish Creek so you can see some bears. Don’t miss Salmon Glacier. 17 miles further down the road.
  14. Martygarrison

Martygarrison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you have almost caught up with me in three days. I’m currently in Whitehorse headed to Tok tomorrow. Look for the slow Honda CRF250l. It’s the only one you will see. Wave as you pass.

1622ED34-1F2A-4536-A3E4-7362E5E9E735.jpeg
  15. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    The Seafood Bus is closed on Mondays!
    Wah...
  16. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nooooooooo
  17. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Wow, you're making the miles! (Or, KM's as it were.)
    AwDang and AllSeasonRider like this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Nearly 800kms today. I think that's a solid 65 or 70 miles. Someone check my math.

Speaking of math, a Canadian Harley rider was chatting with me after lunch and asked how far I could go on a tank. I said about 400 kilometers. He said, "what's that in miles?" I think the universe imploded.

It was a late rising this morning - two big mile days will do that. The morning started with rain, but about 45 minutes in it petered out for most of the rest of the day.

BC16 just got better and better as you went, until this showed up:
    20190812_220628.jpg

A little road construction for good fun and I eventually turned onto the Cassiar. Incredibly, aside from a construction zone, I didn't see another person traveling the same direction as me the whole time on it today.

Waiting for the flagger after a brief rain:
    20190812164034_IMG_2491.JPG

As you near the 37A turn off, you begin to see what lays ahead off in the distance to the right.

But before we get to that, let's talk about Canadian highway names. Yesterday I was on the Caribou Highway... no caribou. Today I was on the Yellowhead Highway... nothing with a yellow head. After that I was on the Cassiar and didn't see a single Stewart Classiar.

But the Glacier Highway? Oh, we got you covered.
    20190812_220918.jpg
    20190812_220941.jpg

I want to be clear that you now have to spend extra money to get a special pass so you can wait in a slightly shorter line for Disneyland, but I somehow had this spot all to myself, and paid a $0 admission. Makes no sense.

I continued on into Stewart and passed into Hyder. The bus was closed and I didn't feel like riding anymore, so rather than ride the Salmon Glacier, I decided to go back to Stewart to set up camp and grab dinner.
    20190812_221011.jpg

I was really hoping the pizza joint was open, but no luck. I ate at the big inn in town (forget the name).

Camp is all set up, but it turns out I'm not all that good at camping.
    20190812_221030.jpg

It took forever to get the tent set up - I just don't have a system down, yet. And I'm hopeless at starting a fire. You look at the ground cross-eyed back home and the whole state goes up in flames, but nothing here.

There's only me and 1 other tenter here tonight - a couple of ladies with some big ass dogs. I asked if they knew if there were bear lockers and the one just kind looked at me like I asked what kind of cheese the moon is made of. She says they just keep their food in big plastic totes and if there's a bear she'll unclip the big mangy dog. Apparently he's attacked a bear before.

I've either got the best campsite neighbors I could hope for, or I'm for sure going to die of a bear attack tonight.

(Please forgive the photos, I'm typing this up and editing on my phone, so I'm a little limited...)
    td63, OV10, MannyUrrego and 17 others like this.
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some funny schitt raight thar :lol3
    MannyUrrego and AllSeasonRider like this.
  20. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    I thought the moon was made of spare ribs. :hmmmmm
    MannyUrrego, AllSeasonRider and bobw like this.