Dear Ma, I Joined a Motorcycle Gang and We’re Going on a Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Alexa, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Alexa

Alexa I think I don't know

Oddometer:
    Dear Ma,

I joined a motorcycle gang. It’s a small gang. My member number is 2. Skinny Beans—you remember Skinny Beans, don’t you? He’s the one who hot-rodded your lawnmower, which then ate your roses and trimmed your dog’s tail. I bet you remember him. Anyway, he’s our captain, or chief, or whatever you call the person leading the gang. Well, Skinny Beans and I are going on a motorcycle trip, sort of north and sort of west.

I got a bike. It’s big and black and named Hobart. I know you think I’m superstitious naming my vehicles, but I swear they have souls, and if you don’t name ‘em, they get ornery. That’s what happened to your Plymouth, I bet. The bike is a DR650—that’s 650 cool cups of power. More than I need, and more than I’ve ever ridden, but I’m not concerned. I can handle it. If I can handle Skinny Beans, I can handle this bike. It’s more the fact that I‘m 5’3” and weigh 100 pounds, and it would take three of me to make a fair match with Hobart. Maybe that’s why you sometimes see three and sometimes even four small people on one bike. But I don’t have three, or even two, other people who want to ride the bike with me, but that’s okay because I have a lot of luggage.

Your daughter, Penelope

5132BF17-3909-41B0-8712-D630FD900A7F.jpeg
  2. Alexa

Oddometer:
    Dear Mrs. Crane,

Peanut told me about the letter you wrote her, and about your concerns. First of all, let me assure you that our gang is not full of hooligans, and we have no intention of committing any hooliganery. We just wanna ride bikes on the open road and camp out in the nature. As you know from the lawnmower incident, I’m pretty good with motors and wrenches and such, so we shouldn’t find ourselves stranded out there. I love your daughter, and I won’t let any harm come to a hair on her head.

By the way, Peanut told me to tell you that she named my bike Magnum. It’s a KTM 690 Enduro, and it’s super cool. It will carry most of the weight. Peanut’s bike is mostly carrying toilet paper and other dry goods.

Hope your rheumatism flares down soon.

Skinny Beans

9031FA0A-2337-48C8-97F1-37A553BC1CCE.jpeg
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    This one sounds different. Interesting. Dare I say, unique. In.
  4. Alexa

Oddometer:
    Dear Ma,

We left Reno today in a heat wave. Right away, we were stuck behind a train of trucks spewing dust at us. Our first day, and already I look like one of those mud wrestling girls because dust and sweat make mud.

764CB8C0-9A05-4007-86A5-6BF67D805349.jpeg

296E15EC-8910-4EEC-9A9F-4AA538A431C6.jpeg

Highway 89 between the Little Truckee River and Graeagle sure is pretty. It’s the quintessential Sierra Nevada mountain scenery with pine trees and deciduous trees cut through by small creeks with grassy shores.

Didn’t take long before all the heat made me sleepy, so we rode up a dirt road and camped on the flattest spot we could find, which wasn’t very flat at all, and which put a crick in both of our necks.

Your Penelope
    xr-nut, ABee, EmmEff and 23 others like this.
  5. PhactoryFil

PhactoryFil Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, in.
  6. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    In!!
  7. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Uses the word "deciduous" correctly in post #4?

I'm gonna hang around for this.
    Cobra5150, Hannda, 68vette and 2 others like this.
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Up til now, I was convinced that people who named their bikes lacked creativity...recalculating...

and following
    Hannda and bike like this.
  11. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Just following along wishing I was there...
    Seems like this will be an interesting trip. (story?)
  12. JasonFL

JasonFL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In, stay away from the squirrels!
  13. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant start... thank you for raising a smile so quickly.
  14. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, a writer! Always appreciated by the masses. A good sense of humor as well, also mostly appreciated, by those that get it.
    Hannda, klaviator and staticPort like this.
  15. Alexa

Oddometer:
    Dear Ma,

Learned something important today. I don’t know how big my gas tank is. It looks giant—curvy and bulging like Dolly Parton in her prime or like that time I thought Cousin Jethrine was carrying twins but turned out she was just addicted to diet food. Well anyway, by my estimation, the hideous engorged growth—and really the only eyesore on Hobart, unless you include the luggage—looked like it could hold a full load of dirty laundry, so I figured the tank had to be around 5 gallons. But I ran out of gas after only 84 miles. I am pretty good at math, and I am pretty sure now that the tank is not 5 gallons as I’m pretty sure I’m not getting only 15 miles to the gallon, and I’m also pretty sure it’s not a measly 2-gallon tank since I can safely assume Hobart averages at least 40 miles to the gallon, so something isn’t right. Anyway, we’re camped next to the Feather River, and I thank my lucky stars for stranding me in this here beautiful spot.

400F25C0-3729-496E-9162-F077BF43F507.jpeg

2DEE50C7-8028-49BA-A7F7-13E427C85C56.jpeg

Hugs and kisses, Penelope
  16. Alexa

Oddometer:
    Dear Mrs. Crane,

I know you are concerned about your little Peanut being out here in the wilderness wrestling her big bike, and I know you fret that she’s as skinny and frail as a newborn fawn, which she is, at least the skinny part, but I am skinny too as my name suggests, and I do hope you know that’s not my real name... Anyways, where was I? Oh right, and that she should be home baking cookies, but I think you will be pleased to know that she has been eating a lot of food. She has not baked any cookies as of yet, but last night for dinner she stirred up an apple pie that would surely win first prize at the state fair. I know this is a tall claim since your sweet potato pie is world famous around your parts, but Peanut knows how to bake a pie too. Anyways, her apple pie made me weak in the knees. It wasn’t a vanilla variety apple pie, for it was made on the ground and cooked in a fry pan on a camp stove. It had four layers like that Mexican restaurant television advertisement. It had a layer of tart apples covered by a layer of sweet white nectarines and generously topped in a layer of topping. She couldn’t fit her flour mill on her bike, so she had to improvise with buttermilk pancake mix. And since she couldn’t pack her ice cream maker neither, she made luscious hot fudge sauce to top it all off with. If she keeps cooking like this on our trip, I reckon I’m going to have to change my name to Chubby Beans.

4BD72027-D6FE-4EF5-9301-DA87D3BE6D30.jpeg

Yours truly,

Skinny (for now) Beans
    xr-nut, ABee, Franque and 35 others like this.
  17. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm camping wit the wrong crowd!
  18. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most excellent start to this ride report! In for the long haul....
    Hannda likes this.
  19. JLA49

JLA49 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That does it; I'm in.
    Hannda likes this.
  20. Slammin

Slammin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m thoroughly enjoying this. Hope you keep it going.
    eaglescan likes this.