Dear Ma, It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Alexa, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Alexa

Alexa I think I don't know

Oddometer:
    Dear Ma,

I woke this morning, and sure as the sun rose with me, I felt that old familiar tug stirring. At first, I thought it hunger for more of the mouth watering possum-sausage pizza Skinny Beans had scared up for supper last night, so I went down to the kitchen and had myself a possum-pizza breakfast. That’s the thing about possum pizza; it’s just as good for breakfast. Then I went out to the barn to feed the chickens and caught sight of dust recording time since we last rode our motorcycles. Suddenly the dusky light in the barn brightened with rays of sunshine streaming down from the heavens like those sentimental greeting cards you fancy. It was then that I realized what sort of tug actually stirred in me—it wasn’t possum-pizza cravings at all. I suspect this tug is the same tug that causes the birds to take to the sky and fly south. And it’s the same tug that causes the salmon to leave the ocean and swim up a stream. It’s the tug that causes Skinny Beans and me to take to the open road on motorcycles with too much camping gear and not enough forethought.

Well, I rather enjoy the feeling of this tug... provided I find myself in a position to heed its call, which I presently mostly do. Otherwise, that rascally tug buries itself into me like a gopher and causes all sorts of mischief, the sort of mischief that usually leads to poor judgement with a ladder and some improperly used sporting equipment. If, however, I stay strong and don’t resist the tug, I am rewarded, as the tug creates order out of my chaotic universe. The tug puts all of my internal ducks in a row and sets my heart free.

Now, I have no intention of resisting this powerful force of nature. It has called on me to take to the road, and I will answer its call. The only problem is that a small problem exists. Actually, two small problems exist. But my name would not be Peanut if I let a small problem—or even two small problems—stop me. And likewise, Skinny Beans would eat his hat, or helmet as the case may be, before letting a problem—or even two problems—block him from doing what he desires. It’s more the fact that small problems have a way of banding together like thieves and becoming bigger problems.

Hugs and kisses,
    Your Penelope

SBnP_Fish_Lake_Day1 - 1.jpeg
  2. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Along again for the fun!! And a very Merry Christmas to you and Skinny Beans.
    Alexa likes this.
  3. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    What a Christmas gift from a “perfect” stranger:clap

Thanks Peanut and Skinny
    BB
    Alexa likes this.
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh...I was under the impression that when you "follow" an inmate, you get notifications when they post. Now I'm wondering what following actually does, besides make one a stalker?
  5. JLA49

JLA49 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    YES, YES, THANK YOU YES, I'M IN!
  6. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh...some excellent reading to look forward to. Though I still haven't read the entirety of your first report on joining the biker gang, dammit. Oh well, it'll be fun to bounce back and forth.

Outstanding image to start the story with @Alexa; nothing like a desert sunrise (sunset? not sure if the camera is looking east or west...lol).
  7. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    I studied that image too trying to figure out if it’s bed time ....or breakfast time?
    Doesn’t matter though as it’s another outstanding image captured by Ms Peanut / aka Alexa.
    Hope this report lasts several weeks at least.
    Or a month or so.

In fact Peanut, I bet most on here would contribute if you would do a RTW and post for a few years.
    amboss87, liv2day and Bunyip1260 like this.
  8. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  9. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yep Im in also!!
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm tugged IN!!
  11. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In for the fun.
  12. Alexa

Alexa I think I don't know

Oddometer:
    Dear Ma,

The first problem that didn’t stop us from going on this motorcycle camping trip is a cast—the kind a kid gets from falling out of a tree, and which then receives more writing on it from the other kids than any kid has ever written on anything. Well, this cast covers my left hand, which is good news because I’m right handed, so I’ll still be able to pen my letters to you, but more of a problem is that my left hand can’t pull my motorcycle’s clutch lever. But, good news, like a tree critter clutches its momma’s back, I can clutch onto Skinny Beans’ back, so for this particular adventure, I will ride pillion—Skinny Beans says that’s a fancy French word for a female dog, and from what I’ve seen on the farm yard, I think I do understand… except, there the female usually rides in front. Anyway, I do believe this will be a measure easier than that time I had to ride my motorcycle sidesaddle to Cousin Jethrine’s wedding ceremony on account of the fashion of my bridesmaids’ dress being a narrow tube of purple satin taffeta that extended from my hip to my toes. And, turned out, that despite its thick durable appearance, satin taffeta is not the same thing as rip-stop nylon. Nothing stops a rip in taffeta, which I now know from experience. But I still do think that a few creases introduced from hiking that thing up to my waist would have been a whole lot less unsightly than the hole burned into it by the exhaust pipe and the slit torn up the side on account of my need to take full strides like a lady instead of itty-bitty choppy steps like a criminal with shackled ankles. This Peanut almost became fully unshelled up there in front of that whole congregation. But I came into this world naked, so I guess I can go to a wedding naked.

Anyway, the other small problem is the winter solstice and its resulting short cold days and long freezing nights. But again, this is not such a big problem because I have a lovely electrically heated jacket and glove ensemble—black with shiny reflective highlights, though I do wish they were pink—plus a stack of air-burning body-warmer thingies. The greater concern of these two small problems is the bigger problem that these two small problems together create—sort of like the trouble Cousin Beth-Ann and I used to get into whenever the two of us were put together as children, and something inevitably would catch on fire.

The logistics—although the root of such a word suggests logic is being employed here, which I don’t think it is—is that I will occupy the space on Skinny Beans’ motorcycle where customarily a considerable amount of camping gear would ride. In addition, my motorcycle won’t be carrying any gear as it is not coming along on this trip. I tried to figure out a way to lasso a rope around its handlebar, so we could tow it behind us similar to the way I rode my mare and her foal followed along like a hypnotized chicken. But in my imaginary calculations—that I do mostly in Crayon pictures with the aid of a little kinematics and calculus—Skinny Beans had to drive an illegal head-snapping speed to keep my un-piloted motorcycle upright, but in every simulation, the bike ended up with a fit of head-shake something fierce until it was wobbling so badly, it was taking out garbage cans on both sides of the street and forcing me to let go of the rope before it yanked me clean off the back of Skinny Beans’ bike. I guess some of my mathematical-modeling numbers are off. Skinny Beans says I probably didn’t sufficiently constrain the limits of my integration. I think I probably just forgot to carry a 1.

Well, outside of my imagination, things went a little smoother when we took a fully packed Leonidas (that’s what I named Skinny Beans’ BMW 650 X Challenge on account of its fearsome presence) out for a test ride up Peavine Mountain on the western edge of Reno. But I hadn’t been too far off. Poor Leo squatted like Penny, the “Little Rascals’” swayback horse, under my added weight, which I found a tad offensive on account of not being able to convince any motorcycle I ride that a teacup-sized girl is aboard. Skinny Beans had to pump the air shock up to 300 pounds! (Let’s see, 100 and 150, plus 50 pounds for gear, carry the one. Yeah, that’s right).

All my love,
    Peanut

SBnP_Fish_Lake - 2.jpeg

SBnP_Fish_Lake - 1 (1).jpeg
    ilten, AngusMcL, Joris van O and 13 others like this.
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Just when I thought I'd learned something new and suggestive on this word "pillion", my research did not reveal the same conclusion you came to on your French word...but yours is more...interesting.:lol3
    RokLobster, JustKip and MrKiwi like this.
  14. SwampyDeadHead

SwampyDeadHead Pitter patter lets get at’er Supporter

Oddometer:
    My dearest Peanut, I write to you again seated on a bar stool compelled by motorcycleless boredom while also awaiting any photos or narratives you might provide. I am also suffering heavily awaiting my wife to finish furniture shopping (money better spent on a fancified Tenere 700 but that’s a different matter).

You might be surprised to know I harbor an affection for fried possum peckers and pine cone moonshine so I am heartened by Skinny’s use for North America's most delicious marsupial as a pizza topping.

Did you know that a possum (or is it opossum?) and tater feast was served to President elect Taft in the city of Atlanta?

https://blogs.loc.gov/folklife/2019/09/politics-and-possum-feasts-presidents-who-ate-opossums/

- Anxiously again awaiting reports of your adventures in boring Florida.
    dano619 likes this.
  15. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're a sick woman!
    Just my type. Dump that Skinny Beans and we'll make beautiful music together.
    Your partner in integration,
    S the L.
  16. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in, I like your prose and pictures, keep up the great RR, please!
  17. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, you have so many quotable pieces of prose that I typically avoid quoting anything and just add some dullard response. This, however, I had to quote - naming a bike after the king from Sparta...genius. Though I do have to wonder about the longevity of said bike based on its namesake :lol2 :lol2 As an aside, the book Gates of Fire was a good read.

Great shot of Skinny Beans astride Leonidas, though I'm very curious as to the cylinder strapped to the bash plate?

Look forward to the next update @Alexa, thanks for keeping this report going!
  18. Tim Seawel

Tim Seawel n00b

Oddometer:
    Much fun to be had up ahead. Looking forward to more prose from the Peanut.
  19. jkm

jkm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sunrise or sunset, the sun must have been in Skinny's eyes to have caused the right side fall shown in the 1st photo....
  20. jathkajoe

jathkajoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skinny Beans could simply have been bedazzled by the radiance of Ms Peanut.