Dear Motoport:

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by motorradfahrer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, I can't believe the Motoport bashing still continues. Let me sum it up for you guys that don't understand Motoport: It is a very small company with a limited range of products, produced by a fanatic about safety and quality. Think small, custom shop guys. I live near Wayne and have seen, tried on and handled all of his products, they are all first rate. I have also seen, tried on and handled just about every other garment available (except the Halvorson which I'm sure is just great).

There is no way Wayne is going to go through the expense of the CE testing crap. Why, so those that live for the spec sheets can feel better. Sometimes you just have to step away from the spec sheets and check things out for yourself, I mean give it a good inspection. There's more to a garment than tear strength for crissakes.

Anyone who has ever handled a Motoport garment knows what I mean. I would feel very safe taking a tumble in Wayne's gear. At least as safe as in anything else out there and way safer than in most stuff.

For the record I do not own any Motoport gear, its a long story but I bought Rukka instead, but I love Motoport. If Wayne's lack of marketing skill or his claims put you off, go somewhere else, but if you want quality stuff, check it out with confidence.

One more thing: Its not just the fabric and its strength, its how its sewn together as well. If the seams rip or get ground down and fail allowing the garment to fall apart in a crash, you are screwed even if the fabric survives. Motoport stuff is well constructed.

Hiya Wayne!
  2. Wayne at Motoport

Wayne at Motoport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When wearing the Aero-Tex Liner Waterproof/Windproof/Breathable Liner, zipped into our jacket/pant, (no insulation,) the rider has comfort from high 30, low 40f up to 85f. or higher. This is an incredible range to ride in comfort.

Thanks again for the positive comments.
  3. license2ill

license2ill Banned

Oddometer:
    In regard to the "save you hide" info, who's the independent company, when was the test, and how does it relate to your current products or the products of competitors? It's not exactly complete or deifined, and has no real information regarding how it relates to your offerings or how the tests were performed or who did them and when.

What format are these other tests in? Can you attach them here?
  4. PizzaHog

PizzaHog Thought Criminal

Oddometer:
    Ignore Lists are a good thing. Just sayin'...

You guys are pushing on a rope re: ill. Another way of putting it is "Arguing with a drunk." :baldy

Either way, you're totally wasting 'trons communicating with him. He *won't* get it, and he won't stop. Passive-agressive bullying, if you will.
  5. jonasf

jonasf Ich mag Sauerkraut

Oddometer:
    man,you should get a live or something,or maybe take a hit or the best thing to do STFU.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    what does thinking you sound like an idiot have anything to do with my "understanding" of how Motoport's gear performs?
  7. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    He must be quite a piece of work away from an internet forum. On the internet, I've pegged him as simply an attention whore.
    Ciao, Steve
  8. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    1. Both the European testing and USA testing are shown in the files I can email below.
    2. The Tear/Abrasion on Save Your Hide were numbers on testing done in the USA. As mentioned in #22 of this Thread: This is the same tesing method all USA material companies use. Dupont, etc...
    3. Again repeating: When other companies use words like "Balistic", "Hypertex", "RockTex", it is difficult to know what material is used. Materials shown on Save Your Hide are the majority of materials used today for motorcycle apparel. On each of our products we explain what material is used. This is how it relates to our current products.

I've tried to attach the files. It appears that they will not download. Again please request the info at: cycleport@motoport.com
  9. klopfi

klopfi Professional Struggler

Oddometer:
    Hello,

It is one thing to be curious about test methods and what they may mean - frankly, it is not unreasonable to want to discuss the various testing criteria and attempt to sort out a synthesized opinion on the topic before plunking down your hard, cold cash.

But...

I am a very satisfied owner of both the GP2 jacket and GP2 pants from Motoport. The gear is solid, well made and comfortable. In terms of comfort, I think that most riders will find that they are far less fatigued from long rides when the gear fits well and doesn't beat on them from wind flappage... The pants actually reduce monkey butt - in spite of the fact that humans and chimps share so much DNA! I can't say enough for how the comfort positively affects my riding enjoyment.

Over the years, I have owned 2 different 1 piece leather track suits (AGV and Teknic) along with a variety of leather and textile jackets. My Motoport stuff is far and away the most comfortable, well made stuff of any of my other pieces of gear. That's important, because the gear doesn't do me any good if I'm not wearing it.

I don't know about other people, but I'm not in a position to own and maintain a high end track suit, a commuter suit and other bits to mix and match. I needed to find gear that met my needs in a flexible, efficient way that still had me well protected and would allow me to get the most bang for my buck. Notice that I didn't say "get me something cheap"... If I were a gazillionaire playboy moto-racer who could afford to buy a new leather suit every couple of years (or whenever I wrecked the current one), I would still think twice about my choice for the street... A good racing suit fits in a way that has you hunched over like Quasimodo when you are zipped up... that keeps the armor where you need it. A good leather suit is hot... Even with perforations (which can affect the suit's tear strength), you can get overheated pretty quickly.

None of that makes a lot of sense for me - so, I was looking at my options in 2 piece rigs and wanted something that would be comfortable in a wide range of weather conditions with a high degree of protection. From the reading I did, along with the reviews written by people who had actually worn the gear, I decided to call Wayne at Motoport. I'm happy that I did.

I made an economic decision to not purchase liners - so, I'd say my operating range is around 60 degrees (f) to 100 + degrees (f)... I know Wayne says it's good up to 120 degrees, but I'm pretty sure my eyeballs would explode at a temperature of 115. As much as I'd like to help out in the crash protection debate, I swore off crashing for Lent and decided that I didn't miss it...

My feeling is that I received excellent service and value for my money. I highly recommend the Motoport gear and dealing with Wayne. I don't have any reason to think that my choice in riding gear didn't result in exactly what I was looking for. I can accept that other folks may not come to the same conclusion I did - but I don't think it's fair to Wayne to ask him a question that he tries to answer as honestly and completely as he can then argue with him about it. If you spend a little time speaking with him, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find someone as committed to his product line and what it is designed to do as he is.

Nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition!

jim
  10. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you summarize it? :D You don't like the flat elbow armour? You wanted Goretex on the outside?
  11. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Here I am saluting License 2 Shill while comfortably ensconced inside my Motoport gear:

[​IMG]
  12. frazz

frazz Slow & Easy

Oddometer:
    I just had a face plant wearing their Kevlar Street Jeans with zero damage to either my legs and the area covered by the pants or to the pants themselves. There is only a light scuff on one leg to show my airborne impact and slide...if the EMT's hadn't cut the pants off me...I would still be able to use them...no tears:clap I, for one, am replacing these with some new...great product...IMO:D
  13. Gravity

Gravity Ride the world!

Oddometer:
    I got Motoport.

I like Wayne.

I like Motorcycles.

Gravity
  14. Hospitaler

Hospitaler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Motoport gear has held up exceptionally well over all these years. I did a 30 mph crash about 5 years ago while wearing the old Canyon jacket. I got to see the inside of the local hospital with some minor ankle and facial injuries (nothing but a full faced helmet from now on). Small scuffs on the jacket, but still using it. Granted it wasn't high speed, but enough to convince me of the merits of Motoport's products.

Thanks to threads like this one I'll be ordering some new Motoport gear real soon!
  15. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the delay in showing this photo of the machine we used for testing our Tri-Armor and comparing it to the best CE rated T-Pro armor. This machine is used in many different applications and is more accurate than the machines used in the CE tests.

Go back and read all the crap 2ILL made up about this machine and the testing we did. I'm not waiting for 2ILL to admit that he was wrong. People that have no character never admit to making mistakes.
  16. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

<TABLE class=tborder id=post3694988 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3694988> The top graph above is showing the best T-Pro Back Protector, CE approved armor as "A". Cycleport/Motoport's Tri-Armor is "B". A is showing the Peak Acceleration at 30 G's and Static Stress in PSI on initial impact. Cycleport's Tri-Armor is absorbing the impact better at around 25 G's.

The second photo is showing the Shock Data Capture Instruments, used in measuring the impact force/absorbtion.

I'm going to go back in history, to the present date and explain how we developed our apparel. This will leave no doubt to any reader the fact that Cycleport/Motoport has by far the most versatile/protective motorcycle apparel on the planet. I've been very busy here at Motoport, especially as we get closer to Christmas. Instead of waiting 12 to 14 weeks for us to ship gear, were currently at 4 to 5 weeks. This was a major improvement on our end. I'll try my best to finish the article on how we developed our gear soon.

Thanks for the great photo IKONOKLASS. A very appropriate gesture for 2ILL.
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>[​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  17. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    I've been putting some big miles on my AX Motoport jacket lately, and the thing is the warmest riding gear I've ever had. Good stuff.

Chip
  18. Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Oddometer:
    license2ill~~~

I,,, R E A L L Y , want to know,,, what jacket/Pants or Motorcycle suit do you ride in now??? P L E A S E,,, tell me...

I have spent over 4 months studing every manufacturer TRYING,,, to find a company,,, OTHER than Motoport to buy from...

Why you ask???

I am a cheap bastard I have been called so I guess that is the reason...:rofl Well,,, I can't find any better than Motoport,,, and I am ordering...

Why 4 months have I spent looking???

I had a get off/Tumbilina Party in the middle of frigg'n Idaho August 1st... :eek1 Spent 5 days in the hospital,,, broke Collar bone,,, shoulder bone,,, Grade 3 AC Seperation,,, 3 broken Ribs,,, bruised Lung,,, and bruised heart...

"IF",,, I would have had my Hein Gericke Timbuktu Air Jacket I PROBABLY,,, would have walked away... Well,,, Walked away after waking up 5 hours later... :wink: If you ever question having a full face helmet on or wearing a 3/4 helmet,,, come check out my Chin bar showing wear and I wouldn't have had a chin left without it...

I wore my,,, "Cooler" Firstgear Mesh Tex II jacket as it was hot and I hate hot on my 16 day,,, 10,000 mile ride I take at least 1 time a year... The Firstgear had that,,, "Comfy" foam in it,,, and I decided at the last minute that it would be cooler than my trusty Timbuktu Air jacket with the FAR BETTER Shoulder/Elbow armour I had planned on using... Dumb,,, Dumb,,, DUMB!!!:freaky

Did not have a bruise,,, mark,,, anywhere as my Hein Gericke pants worked well,,, but were ruined,,, and if I would have slid another 30 feet,,, it would have been Skin,,, sliding as they were about wore through...

Another 5 feet,,, and my jacket was done helping protect me,,, and it would have been skin,,, wearing away... I was VERY,,, lucky in so many ways,,, even being unlucky having as bad of a get off caused by pea gravel in a corner...

Why,,, am I looking at buying Waynes Motoport Mesh Ultra II Jacket??? The pading,,, around the chest,,, and shoulders can not be matched by anyone... Believe me,,, I have looked... On 3 or 4 web sites,,, I am known as the "Jacket/Pants Whore"... :lol3 I have owned just about every Hein Gericke/Firstgear brand jacket looking for the Bestest I can find... Motoport,,, hands down,,, is the Bestest...

I could have slide,,, 200 more feet,,, and MAYBE,,, washed my Motoport,,, and wore it again,,, or,,, sent it to Wayne,,, to be repaired... THE BESTEST,,, any company can offer...

So,,, what,,, is it you wear,,, than can offer me,,, with a written doctors warning on getting hit again,,, in the same area being the shoulder/chest to assure me of the best chance if,,, GOD FORBID,,, "IF",,, I ever have another get off again...

I am all ears,,, and wait with baited breath... :norton

Terry "Two Wrecks" Hammond
  19. Wayne at Motoport

Oddometer:

Terry,

Thanks for all the positive comments.

On top of the current 7 year warranty on all of our Kevlar blended apparel, I'm adding a new Guarantee:
    IF CYCLEPORT/MOTOPORT USA CANNOT REPAIR YOUR GEAR AFTER A CRASH WE WILL REPLACE IT FREE!!!!

I don't care if you crash at over 100mph, the guarantee to replace for free if we cannot repair, is still valid.

Terry, if your wearing our gear the next time in a crash, it will provide
    the best protection in the world and you get new gear if we can't repair it.

For any riders still trying to bash our apparel, what can you say negative now? Does this prove we have the best motorcycle apparel in the world? Why, yes is does. No other motorcycle apparel company has ever had anything close to certify the protective/long lasting quality of their apparel. I challenge any other motorcycle apparel company to match our guarantee.

Best regards,
    Wayne
  20. Paul Varnsverry

Paul Varnsverry Northampton, England, UK

Oddometer:
    That's quite a guarantee, Wayne, and quite a risk you are taking in offering it; but I suspect the risk is 'calculated'. :wink:

Do you have any customers in the UK, who have purchased your suits and who you can put me into contact with? I would like to take a look at one of the suits for myself, and see where it has progressed from the mainstream garments manufactured in Keprotec. I promise I won't subject it to any destructive testing without the owner's prior consent! :D

Paul