1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last time I was there in my Jeep was the first week of March. It started snowing when I left the park over the eastern summit. No snow or rain in the valley. Temps were between 70 and 75 in the day and around 40 at night.

Yeah, there is a possibility. I’m willing to risk it though. It’s the best time to see any blooms too
  2. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    copy that, thanks. I am willing to risk it as well. Just have to keep an eye on the weather patters.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    For sure!! I would hate to be caught in the rain there that time of year on a bike!! Especially at night! Brrrrrrrr!

I thing I will bring an extra light weight tarp jus in case.
  4. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Sooo, I am thinking of leaving Sacramento area on the 22nd of February and heading back either the 1st or 2nd of March.

Of course this will depend on weather, work, family etc. keeping my fingers crossed!!

Really getting excited about this trip, thanks to all the input from all of You!!

Thanks again
    larryboy likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure every bolt on the bike is fully tightened. Loctite if possible. Everything loosens up when riding the back country of DV. Take the washboard from The Recetrack to Ubehebe and see how many bits fall off. Carry a few common length M6 and M8 bolts, some locknut's and washers, and maybe a stick of blue Loctite.
    Been on rides where a guy's oil drain plug fell out, another where a tail section was dangling by the wiring.
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Oooo. Good idea, bolts, washers etc. Universal drain plug (rubber type). Locktite. I will add all that to my list.

Thanks
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Not sure I'd carry the drain plug, just make sure it's tight.
    Also, a couple of chunks of wire, maybe 1'-2' of some 12AWG solid and same of some 18AWG stranded. The solid can be bent and used to hold up a broken battery carrier, etc if needed.
    Carry a few TyRaps as well.
  8. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    :happayThanks!! Just added those to my list. Will start pulling the bike apart this weekend.

Bought a lightweight tarp today. Check’n the boxes!!!
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great trip! As an Aprilia owner, I'd love to see a picture of the Pegaso in current state of farkle. I tried to turn my Dorsoduro into an adventure bike, but it's still a street bike in disguise.

I went to Death Valley many years ago on my Honda XL600. There were a few rocky trails off the Valley floor up to mines in the hills that the guys on big BMWs struggled with, but you should be fine on most trails.

Out of all the trails, I'd say don't miss Titus Canyon. It can have a little gravel in the bottom (since it is a dry river bed), but is totally doable.

This is back when I was running TKC80s :lol3 I'm using Pirelli MT60s now, which fits my mix of dirt/street much better.

[​IMG]
    Black Cat CO likes this.
  10. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    I’m gonna throw this out there. Take it for what it’s worth:
    If you can change dates I would encourage you to do so. It’s a pretty damn cold day in February sometimes. My suggestion is to push it to THE NOOBS RALLY!
    of course if you can’t do that, then it’s understandable. But if you can you’d be a lot better off. You’d meet like minded people and have riding partners who have experience and can show you things. There’s usually a repeater set up so if you got in trouble help could be summoned. There’s decent food so you don’t have to haul a ton of crap. You could set up once and explore.
    Then there’s The raffle! The $$ goes to a good cause. You just might win something.
    And you just might meet some folks to ride with another day and another place.
    I’ll place this wager: if you go to the NOOBS, you’ll be back.
  11. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the nudge! Believe me I would love to go on that ride. There are two things keeping me from it though. One: I want to be there at the optimal time for any bloom that might be happening (usually at the end of February), and Two: my wife and I are going to Puerto Rico that week.

Soooo, the opportunity to surf Puerto trumps any riding these days. Never been there or done that either!!! :super:thumb That may change as I get older....maybe!?:beccaHope not!

I have camped there in that time period before and it was tolerable (aside from one night in the Jeep because of high winds). I know it can change that time of year as well, I’m trying to be as prepared as possible. I am an avid backpacker as well, so used to being in the elements in sometimes less than optimal conditions.

With all that said, thanks for the info. Maybe I can make that trip next year!! Then I’ll be a veteran (not!!)! :D This will be a learning experience for me for sure. When I started planning the trip, I had lots of reservations and was a little fearful of the unknown. Since then, I have talked with and had advice from quite a few people. It’s a little less daunting now. Whewww!

I’m still hoping that I will have some takers on my invite to go along. If not, I will just have to try and be extra careful out there.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Gonna wait for any new pics for until I get everything back on the bike. I plan on trying to post stuff while on the trip also. It will depend on signal of course!!

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming. I’d like to be as confident as a teenage beauty queen with new shoes, a fresh tiara and 10000 Facebook friends by the time I leave!!:lol3
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    By the way, I’d sport that bike any time!!
    High Country Herb likes this.
  15. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Easy to meet peeps at campgrounds
    Lose the hardbags!!!!!!!!!

hh
    wwm
  16. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the bike and personal protection from the hardbags. What are your thoughts on that, reasoning?
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Also, I won’t be at any of the campgrounds camping so I would feel like a TOTAL noob asking to tag along. Thoughts?
  18. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Also, having a lot of trouble getting any clear answers from local shops about rim locks. I have had trouble in the past with tires turning on the rim and the valve stem getting cockeyed. Fortunately no sheared stems yet.

If anyone has advice on sizes? How to measure the inside of the rim to get the correct size? And if dual rimlocks on apposing sides of the rim will help the wheel balance better?
  19. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Your rims should be marked with the size: diameter and inner width.
    17" rear should be something like 3.00" or 3.50". 19" front should be 2.15" or maybe 2.50". There are some other sizes out there and some oddballs also.

Since I'm not riding a dirt bike and never let my tires below about 20psi, rim locks are a waste for me. Plus, they make it a bunch more difficult to mount a thick-walled ADV tire. Not so bad with flexible dirt bike tires.

And yes, two rim locks are normally placed 180° apart. Rim has to be specially drilled also. Don't think I've ever run across anybody running a single rim lock.
    pegbeater likes this.
  20. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motion Pro has universal rim locks available and if I recall also some good information on installation,etc.
    pegbeater likes this.