Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride man
    High Country Herb likes this.
  2. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    I could tell you about the time I was on the way to San fransiquito and got into the deep sand, and got stuck under my pannier when the bike went down. I stayed there awhile because I couldn’t lift the bike off my ankle the way I was pinned face down. When the guy I was riding with cane along quite a bit later my ankle was swollen bad. I had excellent SIDI adventurer boots on at the time or It would have surely broken.
    I spent the next 6 weeks limping and stuffing a swollen ankle into a boot to continue my trip.....
    Does that paint a picture for you?
  3. Black Cat CO

Oddometer:
    I’ll definitely let you know what we end up deciding for dates once I get everyone’s schedule figured out. 55 degrees during the day 25-30 at night sounds just about right, ah down sleeping bag take me away
    pegbeater likes this.
  4. Black Cat CO

Oddometer:
    Ot
    Other than you being hurt, that would have been a sight to see
  5. Black Cat CO

Oddometer:
    That’s pretty much what happened to our friend Pete pictured above on the GS(note the crutches)
  6. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Not sure what you mean personal protection?
    If you mean protecting your personal stuff, like some stealing something then hard bags are better than soft parked at the Wharf overnight. Please do NOT think about that camping in DV.
    If you are talking about protecting yourself in case of a fall, do not think that way either.
    Just falling down at 5mph, not hard crashing, your leg can be snapped so easy from hard bags, not me talking, facts. If that happens heli only option.
    At the Noob Rally as others have mentioned, no ride leader will even let you ride with hard bags,
    NOT Allowed for the reasons I have stated.
    Many peeps ride with hard bags, but offroad, ripe for disaster.

hh
    wwm
  7. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Great, thanks. Good info. I will check the rims and take a look at Motion Pro as well
  8. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello again,

Said you were camping off bike but will not be at any of the campgrounds to meet people,Huh??
    As far as being confident, since you surf, riding in the desert especially DV is like the ocean.
    Never turn your back to it and never be to confident.
    Have great adventures, riding and surfing.
    Noobs next year!
    Deep six the rubber drain plug also, blue loctite, NOT red.

hh
    wwm
    pegbeater likes this.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I was thinking bike protection (fairing?) and personal protection when going over. That is very good info. I will keep that in mind. I never considered getting pinned under one. Unfortunately, soft bags may not be in the budget for this trip. I also dont plan to be in situations that are too technical (hopefully). I am not opposed to getting off the bike and taking a scout walk of the trail to make sure Im comfortable. If not, Ill turn back.

Please keep the suggestions coming!! I really appreciate all the input.
  10. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I hear that!! Man, if I had a nickel for every time I have told my kids not to turn their back!!

Wilderness camping probably. No in town camping. Probably no campgrounds either, unless it just happens to be where I end up at the end of the day. I like being waaaaay ouuut.

Im pretty cautious. At the end of the day, its surfing that is my top leisure. So all else, but the wife, takes a back seat!! If that means turning around, so be it.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh, down. Big Agnes is my girl!!:1drink
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ok, so getting a mixed bag on the rimlocks from research and friends on weather to put them on the front or not. Some say that its not necessary (lower horsepower and torque bike) and others say its better to be safe than sorry.

I have had the tubes twist on both wheels, but not shear. I do run at lower pressures when in the sand or mud. I believe the bike has 51hp and 50lbs of torque. What is everyones thoughts on this.
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't run less than 30 psi on a heavy bike like yours. Rim locks aren't needed.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Even if the tires have turned on the rim before? Define heavy? I always though my bike was on the lighter side for an adventure bike. Heavier with gear of course. The tires Im running have really stiff sidewall as well. Does that affect the psi that you gave?

I guess Im looking for a little more explanation.:D
  15. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good heads up on soft bags only for the noob rally coming up.

I run Heidenau K60's. Their rep told me to keep my tires at 41 rear/34 front even in dirt, to NOT air the tires down and I'd get 10-12K out of the rear tire. I ran the Dalton at 55mph standing up with those tire pressures without any problems at all. I'll be doing the same thing at the noob rally.
  16. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Correction on the torque and HP. Just looked it up. Torque is at a whopping 54 and HP at 50. Bike curb wight is ~400 pounds.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/front-wheel-rimlock-is-it-really-necessary.967238/

Really wish that rally worked into my schedule!!! Im just taking off the K60's and fitting some E07's. Pretty similar tire, so I would imagine it to be the same? I ran the K60 at lower pressure, around 20lbs, in mud and sand and they performed much better (mine had the center strip that made them useless in mud, sand and grass). I still got 10k out of the rear tire and closer to 20 from the front. On my previous set of K60's, I got a flat about 25 miles from my friends house in the middle of nowhere. We could not repair the tube and I did not have a spare with me (NOOOOOOOOB!!!). I rode this all the way home, 25 to 30mph, dirt and pavement. The tire did not come off the bead, was TOTALLY flat and I still got 10k out of that tire. Really like the K60's. E07's are a little cheaper and the rear tire pattern looks a little more aggressive. I hope they work as well as the K60's. I now always cary tubes!!!
    AZQKR likes this.
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    38 HP at the wheel, 400 pounds is very heavy for a single. Rim locks not needed, keep the psi's no lower than 30.
    pegbeater likes this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    OK. Noted. Soooo, 30psi should keep the tire from turning on the rim? If so, that would be good as it would be one less thing to do on the bike before leaving.
    Sorry, totally new to a lot of this, so I want to get as clear an idea about these off road theories as a can.
    Thanks again.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yes, I don't run rim locks and have never spun a tire on a rim as I don't goof around with low tire pressure.