Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 centavos:

Death Valley maps free:
    http://npmaps.com/death-valley/

Regarding rim locks... it's not so much the concern of ripping a tube valve stem from spinning your rim inside the tire from too much power, it's from locking your tire up on solid and "grippy" type ground when braking hard. This happened to a buddy of mine on a KLR 650... 36 HP......

Carry an extra tube for both front and rear.... and the knowledge and tools to repair/replace them.
    Motopsychoman and pegbeater like this.
  2. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As in, you dont air down at all? What bike are you riding? What tires? Tube or no tube?

There may be less of a need for low pressure with the E07 as well. No center strip.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the map info. PDF's too. I will probably load those on my phone. The braking hard makes sense. If the recommendation is to not air down at all, then it is less of a worry.
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome..

Seems that you're fairly new to the off-road game. Getting your feet wet with this type of riding in Death Valley is a perfect place to do so.
    You're going to find a fair bit of washboard and loose sand and you're going to find out that speed is your friend. Try lowering your tire pressure to see what difference it makes to your riding comfort and riding ability... You may consider changing your tubes out to a heavy duty type. I run ultra heavy duty ones with a rim lock, but it's a dirt bike.

Once you become comfortable with riding faster in the tough stuff, you'll surely want to start lowering the tire pressure. Air back up once on better roads.

Again, just my 2 centavos and what works for me.
    pegbeater and Davethestick like this.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    OK, great!! Thanks for the info. I have done quite a bit of washboard with lower pressure and softening my rear spring a bit. Probably around 30psi with my K60s. Seemed to work pretty well. In my limited experience, it seemed that ~30mph on moderate to mild washboard worked pretty well. I have run into severe washboard where that did not work so well so I slowed down until I was passed it. Is that what people typically do?
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I don't air down on my 640 Adventure, pretty close in weight and HP to your bike. Dual disc front, I can stoppie the thing and don't spin the tire on the rim. I run 32 psi, front and back. I prefer to ride and don't want to spend the day changing tubes.

On my old 300 pound bikes I'd run 20 psi in the dirt, then air up for street.

Here's my biggest DV trip, if you want to see how I do it. 21 days solo:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-am-a-ghost-this-is-a-dream-something-is-here-it-calls-to-me.644457/

Here's one from 2016 on the 640, couldn't find the magic with the heavier bike:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-want-to-have-the-same-last-dream-again.1187135/
    pegbeater likes this.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Awsome!!:beer Thanks for your patience!!
    larryboy likes this.
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've worn out a few sets of K60s on my Sertao (same motor and weight as your bike). I get about 11,000 miles out of a front and 6,000 miles out of a rear. I've run E07 Dakars and get a little more out of the front (13,000+ miles) and could have gotten about double (12,000 miles) out of the rear if my wheel bearings hadn't gone south (pulled the tire at 9,500 miles).

The 130/80-17 K60 has no center strip, giving it a good V-pattern deep blocks. Worked okay. The E07 has a very skinny center strip which makes little difference. The E07s feel like the rubber is softer and seem to grip better, especially on wet pavement. That said, I never had the K60s break loose on clean pavement either.

Personally, I've been sold on the E07 Dakars for a few reasons: they don't come off the rims easily if the tire goes flat, I think they work a little better than the K60s both on and off the road, and they out last the K60s.

I rode 70 miles at freeway speeds on a flat front E07 Dakar and only noticed it feeling a bit odd. That sold me. The Dakar versions have sidewalls that are about 3 time thicker than the standard E07 or the K60S and hang over the edge of the rim.

Also, I've converted all of my spoked rims to tubeless using the 3M Extreme Sealing tape. Been working flawlessly for 2+ years. I carry 1 front tube just in case.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tire info. As mentioned before, I have no complaints with the K60's. I have been hearing about the E07's for a while from different riders and posters. They were a little cheaper and I liked the tread pattern. Cant wait to try them out.

I have the E07 plus, not the dakar. I didnt see a lot of options in sizes for that tire???? Not sure why. And I got a really good deal on the rear plus.

My E07 plus has no center strip. Just lugs. That was another selling point for me. Although, my K60 was a 140 with the center strip. I think the K60 130 does not have a center strip either. I know the E07 140 has a center strip and the 130 did not. The 130 80 17 was the recommended size for my bike anyway. I was getting the 140 prior to doing more offroad because I figured the center strip would prolong the life a bit. I didnt realize that it did not do so well in mud, sand and grass.

Live and learn!!

Post and learn!!!! Ha! :wings
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    The Dakar versions cost a bit more and come in fewer sizes. I ended up with a 140/80-17 rear which has an inconsequential center strip. The Dakars are much heavier than the non-Dakar versions.
    The E07+ tires are new and I don't think there is a lot of long term ride info on them yet. They were supposedly designed for the BIG ADV bikes like 1200GS and 1090 KTMs. Most folks think the numbers of sizes of the E07+s will expand and that the old E07s will eventually vanish.

The center strip on the 140 K60 is wider than on the E07. The E07 tread blocks are bit deeper. Neither does well in mud or deep sand.

Like I said, the K60s were okay, but I wore out 2 rears at about 6,000 miles apiece and had a third go totally out of round on me at ~3,500 miles. They also square off much quicker then the E07s for some reason.
    pegbeater likes this.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I cant wait to get them on and maybe hit some local sand and mud before leaving for DV. Now with the new input about tire pressures and rimlocks, that will be one less thing to do. I can just get them mounted and balanced!!
  12. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you like riding on rocks. Biguns touching lill'uns. Riding any of the side roads on that bike loaded will NOT be fun. I'm not sure I'd do many of these by myself. This place is about the size of Delaware with no one around.

Must do: Titus Canyon, it's easy. May be slightly soft in spots, but it's mostly down hill. Try coasting through the last part. Stop in the slot canyon and just sit and listen to nothing for an hour.

Also: the 20 Mule Team Wash, just east of Furnace Ck. Short, but fun.

There is a lot of touristy spots, ride-n-hike into the canyons.
  13. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres the link I was thinking about regarding rim locks. Its based on the dr650 but is applicable to most. I found it helpful.
    https://4strokes.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31
    pegbeater likes this.
  14. Black Cat CO

Oddometer:
    Base Camp Ideas ??? looking for non-official and/or official but very quiet uncrowded camping spots for base camp on our upcoming trip to DV (may be meeting up with pegbeater if timing works). Can you camp at or near the hot springs around the Panamint area or is it a better hit and run, is it real busy there? Water and a crapper are a plus but definitely not necessary (we always come fully prepared & self-sufficient), somewhat sheltered/shaded is always good. Food, Bar and Gas are always cool to be relatively close (10-15 miles one way) is reasonable. We would have one to two pickups and trailers as we are hauling our bikes in from Colorado, then we'll do day trips/loops and an overnighter or two based from there. Any ideas from the "Wise Ones" would be helpful and appreciated, we'll be hitting the classic routes of course, and any suggestions on must do's or local favorites are always welcome.
    Thanks,
  15. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    How close to you need/want to be to fuel and water? Makes a lot of difference.
  16. Black Cat CO

Oddometer:
    See my original post
  17. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I was thinking of Pegbeater. Having support vehicles solves many problems: water and fuel are scarce items in DV.

PSR and Stovepipe Wells have fuel, food and water. Good central locations.
    Furnace Creek has all services (although the restaurant was under construction last year). Close to places in the main valley, Chloride Cliffs, Titus and lots of pavement accessible sites.

Because of the time of year, I'd stay out of the higher camps like the ones along Wildrose. Emigrant is right on Hwy 190 near the intersection of Wildrose, which would be good for access for the Panamint Valley areas (as would PSR).

That leaves places like Saline Hot Springs on the west side, Mesquite up north, Eureka Dunes (way up there).

There are number of "cabins" around the park. Some are reasonable to access, some require 4WD.

Beyond the actual "approved" camp areas, you can do backcountry camping, but the park rules say 2 miles from day use roads. You'd have to check with the park rangers to see which specific areas are allowed and which are off-limits. Unfortunately it is hit or miss when talking to the rangers. Some are extremely friendly and some are very unhelpful.

I just tried checking the NPS website. Any useful information on conditions won't be available until the government is open for business again.

Others will have to chime in on camping outside the park boundaries. There should be camping in BLM areas, but there is also a lot of private property.
  18. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Must do: Titus Canyon, it's easy. May be slightly soft in spots, but it's mostly down hill. Try coasting through the last part. Stop in the slot canyon and just sit and listen to nothing for an hour.

Also: the 20 Mule Team Wash, just east of Furnace Ck. Short, but fun.

There is a lot of touristy spots, ride-n-hike into the canyons.[/QUOTE]
    I will definitely put those on my list!!
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, after talking to a friend who is pretty talented off road (ex flat tracker) I think I will put a couple on the back wheel, just in case.
  20. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I had not planned on any specific base camp. That’s why I was asking about all of the gas in and around the park. I was planning my runs according to mileage and fuel calculations, but was not planning to return to a specific location. I wanted to see a few locations like the bristle cone forest and a few others outside the park as well.

I saw a lot of the main attractions in the park the last time I was there, so I was planning on spending some time in the northern and southern parts of the park where I have not been.

With that said, I am open to suggestion and this is not set in stone. That was the plan when I was planning on traveling alone. If I am with other riders, I am willing to make changes accordingly.

The plan was to travel with all my gear and camp where I ended up!!:-)