Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I’m having trouble locating directions to Ward and Bobs. I know it’s just a outside the south end of the park, having trouble with the specifics? Any suggestions?

I have marked all the others on my map and made a key on the back.

Also, it looks like the trail to Briggs can be a little tough?! Wow, way not interested in going over a cliff:vardy! Maybe if I can get someone to come along on that one. Whew.

Also also, saw your YouTube video of that cabin. If I sketch out on the trail with the bike, I can always hike there and take a look. Very cool:muutt
    larryboy likes this.
  2. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    So far, this is my list of places to see. Short, but more to come.

Ancient Bristlecone Forest
    Burgess Mine
    Titus Canyon
    And at least a couple cabins

Thinking of documenting a lot of the trip too. Pictures and video
    High Country Herb and larryboy like this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Find Salt Basin off the Harry Wade Road and you'll find Ward and Bob's place.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Rhyolite is close to the start of Titus and worth seeing.
    High Country Herb and pegbeater like this.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I drove though, or by, briefly the last time I was there. I would like to see more of it. I’ll add it to my list!:clap
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Started tearing down the bike today. Heres some pics.
    IMG_5470.JPG

I had to replace the drain plug a while back and have been meaning to make this mod since the last oil change. I bought the rare earth magnet online. The site had all different sizes.

IMG_5472.JPG
    I had to shorten the plug by a few threads first.

IMG_5473.JPG
    I centered a small hole and then used a larger bit to make a 'catch' for metal debris.

IMG_5474.JPG
    I placed the rare earth magnet in the smaller hole(I did measure with the micrometer before hand). No glue or adhesive necessary. The strength of the magnet will hold it in the smaller hole.
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I did run into a few issues already. The spanner tool that I got does not work on my triple tree so I will need to purchase a better one (I replaced the bearings this summer so I want to make sure it is snug). Next, I had a fairing bolt just keep twisting. the insert in the plastic tank appears to be slipping. Any suggestions on getting this freed up?

IMG_5475.JPG
    I tried drilling it out, but the plastic was starting to melt.
  8. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike? I use a rear shock preload wrench from some random old bike I no longer own (looks kind of like a C with a hook on the end) to adjust the head bearing retainer. It normally doesn't take much torque once the bearings are seated in the head tube.

On the fairing bolt, if it won't come out by slipping a lever behind it while turning, grind the head off, but only a bit at a time. Spray with water in between grindings.

One somewhat anal thing I did before I left on a 11,000 mile trip this summer (only ended up riding 9,500 miles because of conditions) was to put a dot of colored paint on each and every fastener that I torqued so I could see what had been done and what was left to check. Any fastener I moved afterwards I just popped the dot off with my fingernail so I knew to check it afterwards. Nothing fell off on the entire trip.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Its a 2000 Pegaso. I might try one of the two sided spanner wrenches to see if that will work. Ive seen them at the local bike shops. I nevery had one for the read shock and recently replaced it with one that has an adjustable preload knob.

I have tried to pry and twist the stuck bolt out, no luck. I did hit it with some penetrating oil though. Ill try again next week. After that I will try grinding it off.

The paint idea is a good one, I think I will do that while the bike is torn down. Its one of those things that you see other people do, always tell yourself its a good idea, and then never do it!!:doh:knary
  10. moragabiker

moragabiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pegbeater likes this.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Great list. I have been to a few of those places, have a few on my list and now will add a few more. The minietta mine will be one addition for sure:-)
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Got a used pair of boots today. Dirty, but in pretty good shape for the price. Scott boots and paid $30. One more thing off the list for the trip.

:D

Attached Files:

larryboy likes this.
  13. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    OK, so removed the side cover in preparation for the new waterpump shaft and seals and the new EBC clutch and springs. Ran into a couple of issues. First, I though I bought new seals and was not able to find them. Had to order a couple online. Two, the last disk of the clutch that I removed was offset in position from the other disks in the basket. The tabs, or ears on the new set will not fit in that offset position. They are too big or wide.

So my question to anyone that might care or know is, do I modify the ears or tabs via a file or just put it in the pack in line with the other disks?

Also removed the rear wheel to find that there was some rust in one of the bearings. Got that replaced too.

IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5487.JPG
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Don't know. The Pegaso engine is closer to the earlier F650GS than the G650GS. Might try posting over on one of the F650 threads. Or you might try PM'ing a guy WayneC who know lots about the variations of Rotax singles.
    pegbeater likes this.
  15. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Found that EBC does not account for the offset position of the last plate. It was an issue on the early F650's as well. So I will carefully file down the edges to be able to put the last plate in the correct position. There are several F650 guys that said it would be fine to leave it aligned in the stack with the other plates, but being that this is in preparation for Death Valley I would rather have it the way the manufacturer intended.

Also found that I will need to replace both rear bearings and seals.

Going to take the front wheel off today and check those bearings as well. At least the aftermarket bearings and seals are cheap!!:D

Attempted to break the bead on the k60's. No go. I will try it in a vice today with some lubricant. May just have to have a shop do it.:dirtdog
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Bearing houses will often carry a couple of grades of the most common bearing sizes. Buy the best grade they stock. They're still cheaper than OEM.

Heat the tire up. When it's sunny, stick it outside for a couple of hours. Inside, use a heat gun and keep it moving. Then use a C-clamp to break on spot loose.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Whew!!!:happayGot the tire off. In the bench vise again Took a while, and even a little sweat (and its cold here today).

Got the two opposing holes drilled for the rim locks. Turned out well, I was a little worried about drilling into the rims:pope.

Files down one edge of each of the tabs on the last clutch plate. It now fits in the correct position!:wings

Took off the front wheel and inspected the bearings and seals. They are OK, but I am going to replace anyway.

IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5497.JPG
    IMG_5502.JPG
    IMG_5503.JPG

Should be able to get the tires mounted this week unless I have to order rim locks. :nod Oh yeah, I feel like this is getting more real by the minute. Really looking forward to this trip.
  18. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Super stoked today!! This showed up from Poland (Yes, Poland.....very hard to get these for this bike)!!

IMG_5508.JPG IMG_5509.JPG IMG_5513.JPG

Case guards for the Pegaso!! I wanted these for a very, very, very long time.
    Im really impressed with how heavy they are. If they fit correctly, it will be great protection for the bike.
    This company also had an upper guard for the fairing..............I just couldnt pull the trigger. Aside from tires, its the most dough I have spent on this bike. Really happy I did!!
    (Yes Im super cheap. Cali life is super expensive:jack.....so im told) Anyway, its a good addition to a bike I plan on having for a while.:ricky
    larryboy likes this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I just gotta say!!!! This community has been great with suggestions, pointers, knowledge and help. But this one guy!!! A fellow inmate, I guess I will leave him un named for now, just let me borrow his Great Basin Giant Loop bag for the trip. AND, he just GAVE me a Spot GPS also. WOW. I just cant believe the generosity there!!

What a great guy. We met locally or the hand off and were able to chat for a while too. Just gotta say, there are some really great guys on here!! All of the rest of you included!:D:D:D:D

Dropped the wheels off today with my guy to get mounted and install the new Motion Pro rim locks. I should have some pics of the new shoes soon.

Thanks again everyone.
    Motopsychoman and larryboy like this.
  20. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Parts keep coming! This was one of the things I was most worried about, the seals for the water pump shaft. They are like $28 each from AF1, and they only had one in stock (That means a very long wait for another one from Italy usually). Found these for about $10 each on amazon.

IMG_5519.JPG

Measurements are the same, ?so Im sure they are fine.

I tried a few bearing and seal houses here locally in Sac and was able to get wheel bearings and rear wheel seals. No one had the water pump seals or front wheel seals that were not as expensive as the OEM?

Does anyone know of a really good bearing and seal place here in Cali, or somewhere close where it will not take a week to get them for future reference?