Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with Bearing Engineering down here in San Leandro. Have had all the wheel bearings and seals I've needed, except the "specialized" bearings for old Airheads. Haven't tried to get waterpump seals. They evidently have a location in West Sacto as well.
  2. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Also, shaft seals could be had from any BMW parts place. Same motor.
    Is the shaft in good shape, because they get scored and pitted.
  3. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bearing Engineering is where I went for the wheel bearings. We have one here in Sac. Napa had the rear seals. No one had the water pump size or the front wheel seals in stock. They were all special order at a 'special price'!

I would have gone with the BMW parts for the water pump, but they only sell a 'kit'. I already had the shaft from way back, so I didnt go for that. It is probably what I will do next time though. $75. Maybe just get one to have....Im sure Im not the only one who does that? Right? :confused

The only thing Im still waiting for is the front wheel seals. Im sure they will be here soon though.

RKRB5114.JPG
  4. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I carry a pump kit and side cover gasket with me on my adventures. Just in case.

I also carry an output shaft seal and fork seals. Could be changed on the road if I had to.
  5. Firestorm;

Firestorm; Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pegbeater it looks like your really getting all your ducks in a row. The only thing I would add to your list is a personal locator beacon. If you go down or the bike dies somewhere that’s remote it could be the difference between getting found and being a statistic. I wear mine strapped to my body whenever I ride. That way if I’m separated from the bike I can still call for help. And even on a group ride it’s nice to have, especially in the bush where there’s no cell service. There’s plenty of them out there but do your homework. The track record of some aren’t as good as others. I use a Garmin Inreach Mini and it’s been a dependable unit so far.
    pegbeater likes this.
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    That was also on my list. A member here just gave me a Spot brand locator. REALLY nice of him. You have to sign up for service of course. I will probably get it set up about a week or so before I leave so I can test it and figure out how it works.

The only thing that I really have not purchased yet is another 1 gallon can. I have a Rotopax that is one gallon, just not sure if that will be enough. I would rather be safe than sorry. The only reason Im waiting on that is the spout. Not sure if you have seen these STOOOOOPID things they put on California gas cans, but its an 'impossible to use without spilling' safety spout??????? What a bunch of :topes!! Anyway, Im waiting until I get into Nevada to get one with a normal spout and try to get one for my Rotopax as well.

Ill have to do some mileage math before I leave to see if another gallon is necessary. Since I dont really have an itinerary, I can head towards gas whenever I need to.

Also, trying to figure out if the Great Basin Giant Loop bag will work with my racks on. With them off, the bag would be resting on my exhaust cans. c I get the bike back together, Ill be able to figure that out.

Heres a quick update for everyone else that has been helping me out.
    Got the waterpump, shaft and seals in today. New EBC clutch is in and good to go. Closed up the side cover with a new gasket. Reconnected the clutch. Changed the oil filter. Took off the chain (still in good shape, just a little dirty) and put in an oil bath. Checked the head bolts, they were all good. Blue locktite on everything.

Gonna put some wedges in the battery holder to keep it tight. I cant imagine that it banging up and down for long distances will be any good :muutt. I tried to get the bearing out of the front wheel today. They are way stuck, and I dont have a press. Im gonna have the shop press them out and the new ones in.

Will have the tires tomorrow back from the shop as well. Motion Pro rimlocks and all!! Really excited about that.

Will be modifying my BMW radiator guard and fitting the crash bar this weekend. Woooo Hooooo!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot! I have been looking at the possibility of a light bar as well. These have become soooo inexpensive that I figured that it would be nice just in case I was riding after dark (my headlight is crap). It would be cheaper than HID light conversion, and you never know how the headlight conversions are going to project.

Was looking at these to mount the lightbar to the forks.

s-l1600.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  8. Firestorm;

Firestorm; Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s nice that you got the Spot locater for free but here’s the rub. The satellite system they use isn’t that reliable and you cant do two way communication. That and the fact that when you send a message or SOS you have no way to tell if it went through. Plus they’ve been jacking their fees lately. It’s certainly up to you what you use but I would do a bit more research first. Just my 2 cents worth.
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I did research it a little online. It appears they have recently changed to monthly fees instead of annual. I will check their service map as well
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:

I gallon should be plenty.
    Plenty to pour on the moto to start the emergency signal fire. lol
    Fuel in Beatty, Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells and Panamint Springs.
    https://www.quora.com/Where-are-there-gas-stations-located-in-Death-Valley-National-Park
    pegbeater likes this.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I took a 1-gallon plastic gas can on the back of my XL600. I used bungees to attach it. The hooks bent, the gas can fell off, and the bungees wrapped about 20 times around my rear axle. :baldy I currently use ratchet straps to attach a soft tool bag with MSR fuel bottles in it. 2 of the .8L bottles gets me about 25 miles. I could fit 4 bottles in the bag if I wanted to. I empty my spare fuel into the tank as soon as I get the chance.

The Rotopax is certainly the cleanest way to attach fuel, short of an extended range tank.

As far as range: In our group of riders based out of Furnace Creek, the lady with the XT225 had the shortest range, at about 170 miles. (I had my can, or I would have been the limiting factor at 120 miles.) She never ran out, but was constantly keeping track.
    Black Cat CO and pegbeater like this.
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I need to do some math. I get about 180 miles from my tank and another 40 from the extra gallon. Im hoping that will be plenty. I will not have a base camp, so that frees me up a bit as far as places I can head towards. Im still gonna look for another spout for my rotopax though!! hate those spouts.
  13. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    220 should be plenty.

You can find different spouts for those things.
    https://www.motosport.com/product/?...ent=badger&variant[ROT000H]=ROT000H-X001-Y001

Maybe even directly from Rotopax:
    https://rotopax.com/self-venting-spout.html
    pegbeater likes this.
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    High Country Herb likes this.
  15. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    When the EPA/CARB approved nozzle of my Kolpin broke, I removed the spring and the little flapper valve, drilled a 1/8" hole thru the inner and outer parts and pop riveted them together. Viola! Now I have a normal function nozzle.
    pegbeater likes this.
  16. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I modified my last one with a sheetrock knife!
  17. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy Pegbeater,
    We’ll be headed out to DV in early February so we’ll be missing any chance of getting together. Great to see you getting your ride and trip sorted out. We are doing the same out here. I’ll try and post up any helpful information for you when we’re out there. Have a safe and awesome trip and may your preparations go smooth.
  18. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “The hooks bent, the gas can fell off”
    Picturing that made me laugh pretty hard
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
  20. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Haha, yeah. Some lessons are hard learned.

I started thinking, what if my ratchet straps come loose and wrap around my axle? They won't stretch and break like a bungee. I better make sure they don't come loose. :lol3