Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That would be great to have info that current. Have a great trip!

Got my tires back today. Rear with dual rim locks. I’m pretty excited. Looks great. The tire guy said that between the super stiff Mitas e07 and the dual rim locks, the tire was SUPER hard to mount. He jokingly asked me to never bring that wheel back again!!!:roflI think he was joking?

I’m getting the bearings pressed out of the wheels on Friday at my friends house. I’ll post some pics then
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I have mount an E07 (or K60) in the winter, I throw it in the back of my Forester for the day. It'll warm up and soften up considerably. The trick then is to get the darn thing on to the rim as quickly as possible before it cools too much. Seating the bead just requires a lot of RuGlyde and air pressure.

If the guy thought the E07 was too tough, bring him an E07 Dakar next time!
    Black Cat CO and pegbeater like this.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I think the issue was having both rimlocks in place, trying to adjust the tub location and getting everything in place while getting the tire to bead. He said there was no room to adjust the tube with both of the rimlocks on. One would have been easier.

My thought was that you would that you would leave the rimlock nuts off until everything was in place?? Wouldn’t they just push up into the tire giving you room to work? Of course, I have no first hand knowledge of this!!:hmmmmm
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Better break out the spoons and practice changing the tube a few times, don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a flat and no experience changing your setup.
    pegbeater and Motopsychoman like this.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Ive had the rear tire off twice now, just not with the rimlocks. I am planning on getting a bead breaker an one more spoon for the trip too. Im more than a little intimidated to take it off at this point. The tire guy (who also is a very seasoned motorcycle guy) said that with that tire and two rimlocks, I could pretty much ride that bike out of anywhere with a rear flat. Im thinking that if I ran into trouble and getting the tire back on with the rimlocks is too hard, I would just mount it without them until I could get to a bike shop.
    larryboy likes this.
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Another day in preparations!!
    I took the tank off today to address the threaded insert that was just spinning. Apparently, these are molded into the tank!!! Ugh. :(

IMG_5570.JPG

I started drilling around the edges of the insert slowly with a small bit and was able to remove it! Whew:wings
    I cleaned up the hole with a dremel and used some loctite 2 part epoxy to put it back in. There was a little hole through to the tank, but the epoxy is supposed to work even in contact with fuel and oil, sooooooooo. We will see how it set up tomorrow. Maybe add another layer.

IMG_5573.JPG

Got the carbs off too............. Im feeling like im in way too deep on this bike!!! Ive always worked on my cars and engines, but this is the first bike I have taken apart.:puke2Cant help but be a little worried!! Its a little different.

IMG_5579.JPG

Found that I will need to replace some exhaust rings and fuel and vacuum lines. No problem.
    Also took this off the headset. Its a wire management nicety that has always been cracked. Figured I would drop it by the shop tomorrow to have them weld it up. This shop also did the brackets to attach a cross support for my panniers.

IMG_5592.JPG

Bought a paint pen and started marking all the bolts that I have checked and loctited recently too. This bike is gonna be like new!!
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    You should be able to ride it slowly for a long distance. And I'd do the same thing, leave the rim locks out if I had to repair a flat in the back country.
    pegbeater likes this.
  8. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Wow Lots going on!! Hope I get everything done for this trip, and...........hope there is nothing else closed in the park. Im reading that lots of roads are closed from the recent weather. Bummer.

Been knocking out some of the repairs though....................and had some others crop up of course.

Put another coat of epoxy on the threaded insert on the tank. That should do it!! It looks like it will stay.
    Also, have had a dime size chunk of my airbox busted out for some time now. Right above the rear wheel. Rock damage Im sure. Anyway, I do poses the chunk that came out and it was previously sealed shut with gorilla tape. Was working good too!! I decided it was time to epoxy that as well, and did.
    Tires, rimlocks and new bearings are all on the wheels!! Soooo excited to try these tires.

IMG_5607.JPG
    IMG_5606.JPG

Took apart the carbs last night. Started cleaning and reassembly today.

IMG_5603.JPG

Got the new jets in and replaced all of the o-rings. Then I noticed that there were several small pin holes in each of the diaphragms. :( So, got online, ordered some more stuff and will wait. I hate the waiting part.

Started to modify and F650 radiator guard today. Need to get some mounting hardware and will finish up tomorrow.

This little dealy has been cracked ever since I have owned the bike.

IMG_5593.JPG

Took it to the shop yesterday and got it welded up. It always made this little buzzing noise!! I know its just a little nicety wire management deal on the handlebars, but its the little stuff that counts, right?? Sometimes? Maybe? Anyway, I wont have to look at that crack any more under my ignition!!! Will paint it tonight.

C'mon GOV!!!! Get back to work and start cleaning up our parks! :dirtdog:dirtdog:dirtdog:dirtdog:dirtdog:dirtdog
    Motopsychoman and larryboy like this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    So those are the E07+ tires. Let me know how they do and how they wear. I think Mitas may eventually phase out the standard E07 line or at least the sizes that are in common.

Also, in the late spring/summer when the snow is gone let me know and maybe I can meet you for a ride up in the foothills/Sierras. Lots of Forest Service roads to explore.

- Marty
    pegbeater likes this.
  10. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I’m really interested to see how those tire wear as well. Tires and crash guard are my favorites so far.

The other thing I’m curious to try is the carb jetting changes. I went from a 110 to a 112.5 main and a 42.5 pilot. I didn’t mod the vacuum port or the slide spring.

I would love to do some Sierra rides as well. :D
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    '80s and '90s bikes sold in the US were often lean on the pilot but okay on the mains. Suzukis were really cold blooded, but bumping the pilot jets 2 sizes normally fixed that. It takes many good runs at the desired speed and load and then plug checks (or access to a Dyno) to figure it all out. It is a painstaking process. Having a tail pipe sniffer helps.
    Did anyone in particular advise you to fatten up the mains? Dialing in carburation is a true art.
  12. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    This was one of those really lean bikes. They did it to pass import emissions was my understanding. I have read up on a lot of posts on the AF1 forum and they all had good results making the jets a little bigger. The first question Im always asked by people who know this bike is if I did the jets yet :confused.
    I was still a little skeptical of course, so I contacted a couple of companies that make jets for my bike. They all recommended the same jets that I ended up purchasing (so there was consistency there). I had trouble with the exhaust popping and the throttle not responding quite right. So we will see how it goes. Worse case, I put the old jets back in (hope not!!). :jack
    At least I know how to get them out now!!!!!!

And, I have a 69 VW Westfalia with dual 40mm Kadrons. Those have been a pain to get dialed in as well. Sometimes tinkering is the best way to learn (as long as I dont accidentally break something expensive in the process). So, lots of carb time it seems. Must be a curse!!!:D
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  13. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    pegbeater likes this.
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    motocopter likes this.
  15. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    All hail JB Weld epoxy!!! :freaky Seems like its bee a few days of epoxy filled fun.

I put fuel in the tank yesterday...............and...............no leaks. Yay:wings

Had some repairs to do on the fairing where some of the screws go through the plastic. There have been some that were in pretty bad shape when I got the bike. They are on their way to being functional again. Whew!! I get some pics when its done. Multi stage process and all!!:knary

Also found a crack in the plastic of my $30 boots. Those are being shoe gooed at the moment, and then epoxied tomorrow.

Got the front wheel cleaned, together and mounted.

Modified the F650 radiator guard and made some mounts for it. Looks pretty good!!

IMG_5610.JPG
    IMG_5611.JPG
    motocopter likes this.
  16. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4F658905-B66A-48FE-BAF6-6D5872B74553.jpeg 71B1BDF8-0000-4207-8CE1-F778324B1D58.jpeg 2F9A822B-CDF0-43F8-97AD-ED2C4D8E18CB.jpeg Just finished my maintenance and add on’s Today, it’s been about 3 months of working on it as time allowed. She’s ready for Death Valley. Now it’s time to pack and finish mapping. Fingers crossed for good weather and open roads.
    larryboy and pegbeater like this.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Man, nice bike. Looks like its ready to get dirty!! Have fun out there and keep up posted!

Did not have a lot of time to work on the bike this weekend. My son was over and we worked on getting the check engine light and codes sorted so he could get smogged. I think it was successful! No engine light on after 100 miles.

Now for what I was able to get done:
    Carbs are ready to go back in

IMG_5623.JPG
    IMG_5625.JPG

Boots seem like they will hold up at least for this trip. I feel like it was a $30 well spent!

IMG_5612.JPG
    IMG_5614.JPG

The black plastic had separated from the white. I drilled a couple holes for plastic bolts to hold stuff together while drying and packed it with Shoe Goo. Took the bolts out and epoxied the seam, filled the holes with more goo. Been though a lot of epoxy. Hope it all holds:amazon.

Might be able to get the bike back together this week!!
    larryboy likes this.
  18. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Work man, you’ve been putting your time in. Let us know how the carbs work out, do they need to be synced? I’ve never done twin carbs.
    You guys need smog tests on the bike?
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I didn’t touch the connections between the two, so theoretically the only thing to synchronize should be the needle jets? :hmmmmm I’m hoping anyway. If not, there’s gonna be a learning curve there for me cuz I’ve never messed with motorcycle carbs either. Fortunately I have been able to browse through a lot of stuff online about them. Even suffered through a couple vids in French!:y0!
    Black Cat CO likes this.
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Thinking they will still be sync'd is wishful thinking. Find someone who has a set of carb stix you can borrow. Easy to do.