Death Valley 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by pegbeater, Dec 14, 2018.

1. pegbeater

pegbeater Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked up carb stix................this was also a mystery to me! :hmmmmm I have an air flow tool that I use on the VW, but it would be difficult to use here. Found several people on the Aprilia forum saying that syncing is not necessary with the single cylinders?? There were comments on making sure the carbs are jetted correctly and opening at the same time, but nothing for synching. If this is correct, that would be great for me :smile6

I did a bench test with a strobe light and was able to get both carbs opening at the same time (they were really close already).

Also, after inspecting my carbs I found that the vacuum ports are not in the same place on each carb (like they were on several of the videos that I watched about synching) and the port to the throat of the carb is slightly different on each? One of the vacuum lines is connected to the fuel cock where the fuel comes to the carbs. The two ports on the other carb are plugged? Would this make it not possible to sync?

Mikuni BST 33's on a 2000 Aprilia Pegaso.

Any thoughts?
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, there are two ways that dual-carbs on a single cylinder engine can operate:
    As two single barrel carbs doing everything at the same time and splitting the work (acting like 1 carb with double throat area, or
    As a primary and secondary, like 1 2-barrel carb where only one operates at partial throttle and the second opens at about 1/2 to 3/4 full throttle, giving a huge boost. They would also typically be jetted very differently.
    Sounds like the Aprilla is the first case. If they are little out of balance, it probably doesn't make too much different, but I guess it might idle a little lumpy. Once off idle, it should be fine.

The line from one vacuum tap to the petcock is the auto-shutoff. No vacuum, no fuel. Had that on my Suzukis. I'm wondering if it is connected wrong: seems like the carb with 2 taps should have one capped and one going to the petcock. The one tap on the other carb would be capped. I'm no Aprilla guru.
  3. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Two carbs as one seems to be correct. There are no jetting differences.

So, fuel cock is what Aprilia is calling the deal where the bottom of the black hose is connected. The blue is fuel in.

IMG_5627.JPG

The other end is here on the side of carb 2.

IMG_5626.JPG

These are the two that are capped.

IMG_5628.JPG

So, not vacuum to the petcock. Just fuel. Sorry for the mixup.:dunno
  4. NWB

NWB Rain or Shine Rider

Oddometer:
    In 10 days, I've left San Diego and did the COBDR. then on a separate trip the AZBDR. and UTBDR... and returned home. All living off the bike, no hotels, camping only. Been to Death Valley too. 10 days in DV... IMHO...10 days is at least 5 days too much. For me. I personally only need a couple days there at any one time.
  5. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    There is a lot of stuff outside of Death Valley that I plan on seeing too. I may only be in the valley for around 3 days. Just depends on where I end up.
    Although I have been thinking about that being too long as well. May head home early if I run out of stuff to see. The plan is to do some hiking as well while Im out there. I want to get to some of the more remote petroglyphs and check out some of the old mine and town sites. Maybe hit a few hot springs. So, hopefully I will have plenty to do.:jkam The last time I was there for 5 days camping out of my jeep and felt like there was so much more to see. Thats part of the reason for the 10 days. As long as there are no major break downs, its gonna be a great trip.

Your trip sounds like a great one. You definitely have the bike for it. Not sure if I would want to cover that much ground that quick on my bike! Its like half the size! :muutt
  6. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    I was able to get a little work done today with the bike. Feeling a little under the weather, so I quit early.

Got the carbs fitted and connected.

IMG_5639.JPG

Reconnected the back of the frame and checked all of the bolts on both sides.
    Cleaned up the old exhaust fittings, inserted the new gasket rings and put the exhaust back together.

IMG_56402.jpg

Sorry for the mess!! Didnt feel like cleaning up either!! :puke1
    I did find that one of the exhaust brackets was broken. Right behind the passenger footpeg. It looks like its been that way for a while, so im just gonna leave it for now.
    A few more things to check off the list.:nod
  7. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Question for anyone who might be in the know. Is anyone using a power distribution block? Switched, unswitched? I was looking at a few online and they can get pretty fancy and pretty pricy!!:confused

The only extra things connected at this point are the battery tender and the cigarette lighter for charging. I will be adding the light bar soon and just dont want a ton of stuff hanging off the battery.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
  8. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I put one of these under the seat of my G/S:
    [​IMG]
    Holds 5 ATO fuses. Wire it as you please. Cost ~$7 at O'Reillys. If you want to get fancier, checkout Blue Sea Systems. If you only need 3 fused outputs, checkout Eastern Beaver:
    [​IMG]
    You can buy the pieces or the whole thing ready to install.

If you want loads switched on/off by the ignition switch, you should add an automotive relay and power the relay from some lamp circuit (like tail light) that goes on when the key is on.

In my case, with the 5 fuse block, I wired it with 3 switched and 2 unswitched. Currently only using 3 of the five: driving lights (switched), heated grips (switched), dash for GPS and USB charger (unswitched).
  9. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was going to be my next stop. One of the automotive shops. The 5 fuse block is just what I was looking for. I probably will put in a relay. I saw a site with pretty good instructions. Also mentioned using the power off the license plate light. That way if something blew, it wouldnt be critical.

How would I tell what devices should get what amp fuse? Is that just common knowledge on the web?

Thanks
  10. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Fuse box.JPG
    The relay is the orange square (bought the actual socket form BMW for it). Fuses are misc. I added a bronze ground stud at the hole just below and to the right of the fuse block.
    pegbeater likes this.
  11. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Installed my new front brake line today. Having trouble with the bleeding though. I cannot seem to build up any pressure at all. Not sure what to do next?

I should mention that I have bled brakes on several vehicles in the past with no issues, just never on a bike. Am I missing something? front system was dry for about a week while the line was on order.
  12. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Ziptie the lever to the bars, fill master, take a nap, fill master again, make dinner, fill master again, go to bed, wake up, fill master, release lever, pump it up and get the rest of the air out.
    pegbeater likes this.
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Brembo master cylinder? Some have an air-bleed screw. It would be in the reservoir, near the banjo bolt end. If it is there, open it a full turn, pump handle a bunch of times, close screw, pump. Repeat.
    pegbeater likes this.
  14. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    It is Brembo, but Im not seeing any bleeding screw. If I ziptie the brake, do I need to open the bleeder on the caliper?
  15. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    This thread for riding conditions in Death Valley:https://advrider.com/f/threads/death-valley-riding-conditions.912416/page-139#post-36890600 hint: goto last page and read backward.

I have a Tom Harrison Death Valley Map and like it. National Geographic and Wilderness press maps are usually good also. REI stores usually have Tom Harrison and National GEO maps.

Consider checking out the Death Valley noobs rally at the end of March: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-death-valley-noobs-rally-march-22-25.1264350/ (might be too late to get in).
  16. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I have been following that thread also. Some really good recent pics there.

As for the maps, I bought the Tom Harrison map per the advice of another rider that suggested it here as well. It looks like it will do the trick for this trip. I thought about getting the Nat Geo as well, but it looks pretty close to the Harrison.

I wish my timing was different so I could go on the noob trip. That would be a great way for me to learn from people who have been there before. Unfortunately I am leaving the 22nd of this month. My wife and I will be in Puerto Rico during the rally.

Maybe next year.
  17. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Your in GV? We should ride some time!!
  18. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Nope.
    pegbeater likes this.
  19. pegbeater

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Left for quite a while and nothing had left the master cylinder. :dirtdog Started manipulating the brake lever with small----very small----bubbles coming up. Started manipulating the new line and turned the handlebars all the way to the left so the reservoir was tilted towards the front wheel. Slowly, slowly slowly bubbles were coming up and the lever started to get a little resistance. Started bleeding, and it finally got back to feeling like the brake was working.
    :happay
    Bought some more fluid, so I guess I will run some fresh stuff through it tomorrow just to make sure. There must have been air trapped in the master cylinder or something. All new to me. Add it to the buckets of learning curves.

Thanks for the suggestions and responses.
    larryboy likes this.
  20. Black Cat CO

Black Cat CO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride Report: Death Valley week between 2/1/19-2/8/19
    It’s been an adventure for sure. Mostly highs but definitely some challenges.
    Friday 2/1/19- leave Alma, CO, drive all night , arrive in Death Valley around 10:00am. Challenge # 1, trailer lights don’t work, buy parts at Murdoch’s, stop in Eagle, CO. Rewire my 7 way receiver, tabs corroded, only thing I didn’t remember to check on truck. Everything works accept tail lights, crap. Stop in Grand Junction at truck stop, buy battery powered tail lights, sweet lights on just in time for Utah, thank goodness. They don’t take kindly to us pot smoking Colorado hippies to well. No more issues, arrived in Death Valley excited, despite a light rain.

Attached Files: