Death Valley cabins

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Hooliganrick, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Hooliganrick

Hooliganrick Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Hello to all the DV explorers out there. I've been going into and around DV for years, and the assorted cabins are on my list of the places to check out. I've been to all but this one. I came across this picture a couple of days ago. The person who took it said it was in DV. I don't recognize it from any of my research. Now I know the attitude is to protect "secret" spots, and I can appreciate that. What I'm looking for is the name of the cabin or the general area. The exploring to find it is the fun part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. and get outside and explore...... IMG_2771_1595622271587.png
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Bike Guy

Bike Guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    L B To the courtesy phone
    larryboy likes this.
  3. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Migolito likes this.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Hooliganrick I know that cabin well, though by a different name (per a note on the cabin door) :nod
    Disappointed to see it is easily found on social media under the name in previous post :bluduh
    First time I visited, was surprised at the remarkably good condition given the remote location :cromag
    Depending on recent conditions, access can be easy or very rough - even on two wheels :muutt

-M
  5. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Who knows of the cabins near Chloride City?
    el Pete likes this.
  6. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Been there, done that!
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took me 5 minutes to find with zero knowledge and no social media.

I did pull the post though.
  8. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must not be as good with the google-foo as you... took me about 20 minutes to find the exact coordinates and locate on google maps satellite images once I had the name. :rofl
    Chillis likes this.
  9. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Can you PM with the details?
  10. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    the picture i posted is NOT geologist, or boxcar cabin....
  11. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    i like the way members use other's posts as a way to make themselves feel superior. and to see others pile on with same minded posts. all i was asking for was a name or the general area. i wasn't expecting an exact position. the high and mighty can just move along. go post up a separate thread if you need to feel good about yourselves.....
  12. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Hooliganrick, my post above was not at all meant as a dig at you, sorry if you took it that way. I saw the photo, then the name of the cabin posted, and then the comment about disappointment that the name was posted on social media. That got my curiosity up, and as an annual visitor to DVNP decided to find the cabin myself for future reference.

PM me if you want coordinates...

BTW, the name of that cabin is not so hard to find online (for those trying to keep it off social media), but the coordinates take a bit more digging...
  13. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, it certainly is not :nah
    The green cabin is much farther north than either of those :nod

:dunno

I found the green cabin many years ago while just browsing around on satellite views. Saw something down in a canyon and made a point to check it out on the next trip to the area. There was a message and name on the back door which I later searched for, but never found much online. When I first responded to this thread, there was a previous post (now removed) giving a different name for the green cabin. Guess the cabin is fairly well know by the other name. Not trying to be jackass about it, but would prefer not to share the common name :augie

PM me for the location if you like :deal

BTW, I would suggest taking the XR to the green cabin instead of the DL :thumb

-M
    SFMCjohn and BillMoore like this.
  14. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    Thanks rider.....thats how i find my points of interest also. scrolling around google earth. I never expect to be given the location of something. that's the whole point. I was just hoping for a starting point in the general area. these places need to be kept alive. away from the scumbags that don't seem to care. I did get a couple of clues from another member, and was able to pinpoint where i think it is. Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it.
    Chillis and BillMoore like this.
  15. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    No sweat Billmoore...it wasn't your post that had me writing my second reply. One thing I do know now is that there are shitloads of cabins that i wasn't aware of. my list is way short of what there is out there. I appreciate your offer for the location, but i was contacted by another long time member and was given a couple of clues to get me going. thanks for the reply...
    Chillis and BillMoore like this.
  16. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    No offense meant to to you Rick. Most of the cabins in DV are so remote and obscure they are next to impossible to access without a long hike or a dirt bike. I too have been exploring DV and parts of the desert for many years and have only scratched the surface of what is out there.

There is not one person alive that has been to every cabin in the park. I have come across dug out ones not only in DV but other parts of the desert that have not seen a human since they were abandoned.

Google Earth is only a tool and does not come close to revealing what's out there. The one that is in the picture you have has been redone by the "Adopt a Canyon" crew. Most of those are not even fun to explore. Many of them are protected by hidden cameras and every singe vehicle that comes through and your face is recorded.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. Hooliganrick

Oddometer:
    none taken Chris....we've been going out there for close to 10 years, trying to find new locations to explore. just shows that there is always more to find. The hidden cameras don't surprise me. nowadays you have to protect your property somehow. I've been to a couple of out-of-the-way places in arizona, and have seen them. would never have thought until i saw them. just wish i had the time do really get around. so when we do...we have to concentrate our time to different areas. a little at a time. have fun out there
    ballisticexchris and Chillis like this.
  18. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    And yes Rick I do get that with the internet so many people learn about a place and it just gets overrun with idiots and goofballs. I notice you have a XR650L. That's a perfect bike for exploring DV. Unfortunately, I don't have much off road travel experience out there other than that long stretch behind the main valley. I haven't even been to the Racetrack yet. I'm hoping to get out there with my Super Tenere when the weather cools down.
    Hooliganrick and Chillis like this.