Death Valley Daze XIV Jan 23-25 2009

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MaddBrit, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Lionel_Hall

Lionel_Hall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year there was someone who had printed stickers for Death Valley 2008. Was that guy here this year and if so did he make some for the 2009 event?

Thanks
  2. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    there were a couple of folks who did stickers, I was one of them and I was not there this year.

On another topic, anyone go out the saline valley hot springs? How was the water level and the washboard! :ear
  3. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

Luv2race and i made it out there on sunday.
    the water was around 105, but we didn't have time to jump in, we were racing the sun.:deal

next time i'm out there, i will get up earlier, and head straight out there.
  4. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks to all around site 61 for not hitting BikeCrisis.
    Spencer and Team: we do have video of the ravens attacking your site.
    No injuries or bike trouble for us - no KTMs either. Injuries seem to link with the KTM bike.

Great time and yes, I will return next time.

Tom/ da Crisis
  5. Rider351

Rider351 Dude Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:

Yep, it was...:huh
  7. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    sweet, think of camping out there. Will be on the loaded GS though, not sure how many miles of fun washboard "I" can handle :lol3
  8. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    I was expecting miles of washboard, but was surprised to find smooth roads. Must have been recently plowed, because last year, the washboard road by Eureka Dune was more like a whoop section on a supercross track
  9. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    A stupendous weekend. Great riding and with the exception of the one park ranger, great people. Special thanks to Ktmser, Rockthrower, Noshoes and BigE for letting me tag along.

There are some great DV photos being posted so I'll just add a few snapshots.

[​IMG]

The famouse Site 71, unparalleled hospitality.

[​IMG]
    Gary (I don't know his ADV name) rides up and says "the view is great from here." I think that this is south pass. cold and damp.

[​IMG]
    Stopped at the hot springs. Plenty of Orange Crush.

[​IMG]
    This hot tub is in the middle of nowhere. A very strange place.

[​IMG]
    Making sure there is plenty of warm water in the spring.

[​IMG]
    All you need is love. That day we also needed more gasoline.

[​IMG]
    A check of the map at the top of steel pass. Enough fuel? NO. Enough daylight? NO. Fortunately we don't let the details get us down. From here down the hill, across the sand dunes, into the rain and slide into Stovepipe Wells on fumes. A night time arrival at camp. The headlight on the 950SE sucks.

[​IMG]
    Day 2. BigE checks his ride.

[​IMG]
    A little ride on the moon.

[​IMG]
    Rest stop on the way to the Geologist Cabin

[​IMG]
    BigE forgets which side the kickstand is on.

[​IMG]
    Ktmser signs the book.

[​IMG]
    Time to move on. Ready....Set.........

[​IMG]
    At the top of Mengal. Longtallsally wants to say hi to everyone back home.

Thanks to those who gave the shove I needed to scale Mengal. From there it's on to the Manson cabin, Goler wash, Ballarat then camp (in the dark again). The headlight on my 525 is worse than the SE.

Day three takes us to Titus, Scotty's Cabin, the Hebejebe Crater, the Race Track and Lipencott.

[​IMG]
    Today we have the luxury of a support vehicle. Jim meets us in Titus with fuel. No girls with umbrellas. Maybe next time.

[​IMG]
    Ktmser and Rockthrower exit Titus.

[​IMG]
    Followed by Crashdbad.

[​IMG]
    John looks ready fro Dakar. The hairpin right after this photo was fun to watch.

[​IMG]
    The racetrack. Next time I'm going to spend a day here.

[​IMG]
    Jim catches up and we get sammiches and fuel. This does not suck.

[​IMG]
    Ktmser suckers us into going down Lippencott. At this point it's about 4 pm and my bike has a hole in the clutch cover. We stuff a chunk of inner tube in the hole, then it's down into the valley, back over south pass and home via Panamint Springs.

[​IMG]
    This sums it up.

Another late arrival at camp. I follow Crashdbad's adventure into Panamint. The adv headlight also sucks.

An epic weekend. Thanks to all.

-dod

:D
  10. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    via another traditional touring-oriented list, I heard tell of rangers asking dicey questions of incoming riders, someone got tagged for littering when ravens picked apart their trash bags, and other stuff like that?

anyone here have any anecdotes re this? just curious.
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    So I guess as good a thread as any to ask if there is a easier way to mansons cabin without having to do the steps? Is gas the concern at that point?
    I was looking and couldn't really find any good info.
    Might be trying it on the GS loaded and with tourances so I am a bit concerned aka bit of a sand /big rock :baby
  12. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    Up Goler wash or up warm springs from DV is the only way in. Once upon a real blue moon the road at Mansons kept on going down into the desert but has long since been closed down.
  13. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    thanks, just found a few links that I am readying. Which one missed the steps :ear and is it doable on a loaded GS? I am guessing warm springs but not sure at this point.
  14. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Warm Springs side (east) has the steps. Goler Wash side (west) avoids the steps. Its doable on a loaded GS with a pretty good rider. Goler has a short hill that catches people unawares. See all the crash and burn photos from the November nOOb ralley.

Why you got someone in mind to ride your bike up?

:hide
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I guess I better start looking for someone! :poser
    I can dream
  16. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    We were asked by a very nice Park Service Employee, "Are you guys with Adventure Riders?"

Reply, "Nope, I hear they are club or somthing."

Ranger, "Good Ansewer. Have a good time guys..."

That was my only contact with the Park Service.:D
  17. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the same question. Replied, "never heard of them". His reply with a smile "yeah only the rookies admit it". I didn't see any increased presence, though I stayed in the high rent area this year.:evil
  18. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    Goler wash side currently is not a problem. After a hard thunderstorm it washes out and that little uphill section turns into sharp pointed basketball size rocks with strewn dead tires all over the place.

19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so I woulda been in a world of hurt, eh?

[​IMG]

hmmm. maybe I need a more discrete sticker.
  20. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I'm your huckleberry. :evil

Honestly though, it really is just a gravel road- the gravel gets a bit deep and the rocks are pretty pointy- but it still just a gravel road if coming from the WEST.

Since I know you aren't going to do TKCs, and dirt is not your first love, I very highly suggest leaving your luggage at camp.

Fuel shouldn't be an issue if you leave camp full. I left with less than full tank fir a standard GS and did the entire loop without eve the low fuel light.