Death Valley Fall Camp-N-Ride 11/11-11/13

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Luv2putt, Oct 11, 2011.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    dunerat just finished grilling the east l.a. meat
    [​IMG]

tony, sharon and jimmy (thanks for the awesome dip and sauce)
    [​IMG]

night time surgery......:D, hey sito - since when you got the mohawk?...:eek1
    [​IMG]

good eats!
    [​IMG]

all hungry riders
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the rated R camp fire, and by 9 pm, all these studly PPs were in bed.....:lol3

[​IMG]

the PG camp fire
    [​IMG]

someone found this iowa plate in saline valley, and no photshopped.....:rofl
    [​IMG]
  2. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    I just hope that Death Valley rapist didn't get to any of these guys. :lol3
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Had a super time and really enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone. Great food and conversation. Thank you to all that pitched in to make it a memorable ADV event.

I put my photos up with descriptions on my photobucket account here: www.photobucket.com/chrisbrown_dv_trip

Teaser pics and story here...

We arrived at PSR about 1pm Thursday, obviously early and ahead of of the crowd. Jimmy (1224R) and Rob G (RobG) and Jerry (BajaRider650) went on an afternoon ride over to Darwin and explored some canyons and attractions in town. Bustling metropolis that it is...

Friday was our big ride though and Jim (spafxer) helped us with route planning out to the hot springs in Saline and to do the loop over Hunter and back Lippencott. We got going about 9:30 and it was pretty cold with ominous clouds overhead. Here's the lookout point above Panamint just about to the summit at South Pass:

[​IMG]

Our intention was to go around the loop through Teakettle Junction and when we got back out to Saline Valley Road we were going to decide if we were continuing out to the hot springs or return to PSR. Spafxer was going to be out there for an overnighter and said he would have gas for us if we needed it.

We headed up the road to Hunter Mountain thinking we'd check out the cabin up there. As we approached the top of the mountain we started getting snow flurries. We found the cabin and were able to take shelter from a virtual blizzard for about an hour. Elevation 6950'.

[​IMG]

Jerry was disappointed that it wasn't all setup like the images we had seen of Osborne Cabin:

[​IMG]

The snow was coming down pretty good. I had my jetboil along so we had a cup of coffee and a snack and decided to wait it out to see if it was going to really start covering the ground or quit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure enough, after about a half hour it quit, so we loaded up and headed back down the mountain. Not knowing if it was going to pour rain or not we decided to stay at a lower elevation and head toward the Hot Springs in Saline Valley.

Saline Valley Road:
    [​IMG]

We got to about where the Lippencott road cuts off and with looming rain clouds and cool temps we decided a down pour and getting drenched would probably freeze us to death. Jerry didn't have rain pants and his jacket really wasn't waterproof either. So we turned around and headed back.

Sure enough the sun started poking thru and as we came up on the look out vista above PSR we were treated to some spectacular views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Saturday we tagged along with DannyG's group back to Darwin for some singletrack work out.

[​IMG]

ADV salute...

[​IMG]

Jimmy (1221R)

[​IMG]

After following around their KTM trail bikes (450's and 525's) with my husky pig I decided to break away and head for Osborne. I wanted to see that place before the weekend was over and this was the last real day of riding for us.

I found my way out there and stopped for lunch at the old cabin.

[​IMG]

I setup on the old table on the covered patio for a nice lunch. Made up a cup of hot chicken noodle soup to go with my ham sandwich.

[​IMG]

It was so darn quiet up there and I was getting bored so I even took a picture of myself.

[​IMG]

The sun was going down over the mountain and it was cooling off. Nice view from the front porch of Osborne.

[​IMG]

So I was packing up and getting ready to head back, topped off my fuel tank, and close everything up, and low and behold I hear a bike coming up the valley. Darned if it wasn't DannyG and his whole entourage, and my buddy Jerry, coming out to check it out. I was so glad they made it. So we broke out a few beers and had a smoke and caught up on the day of riding.

[​IMG]

Here's the mottly crew of us at Osborne.

[​IMG]

Sunday morning Jerry and I took off for the Charcoal Kilns while everybody packed up and headed home. That was a quick 80 miles and some good scenery to cap off the trip.

[​IMG]

Thanks again everyone. Happy birthday Luv2drink :D and thanks to Noel and crew for great eats, and RobG for bringing firewood. See y'all next time. Can't wait!!
  4. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    H8Chains
    Yes, those are some of our cohorts. Franz from North Fork and Carl from Pasadena I recognize in the photo. Mr. Duck from Lancaster and Joe from Coarsegold should also be there.
    They went down to the date farm as a usual stop for them.
    The two boxers on side stands are probably also but I don't recognize the helmet or anything.
    dc
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    excelent rr chris
    [​IMG]

dc, i met the bmw rider from lancaster and we had a chat atop dante's view. invited him and riding buddy to join us at psr but could not make it since they have to go to beatty.

hope all of you had a great time, though maybe not as much beer.
  6. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's my attempt at a ride report...

John and Eric at casa Provencio waiting for Tex to arrive from Upland. Our plan is to ride up Angelus Forest Hwy > 14 > Randsburg for fuel > Trona Rd > PSR...

[​IMG]

On AFH...

[​IMG]

At Subway in Mojave getting some lunch...

[​IMG]

On the 14...

[​IMG]

Passing through Randsburg...

[​IMG]

Trona Road...

[​IMG]

Trona Chevron closed...

[​IMG]

The 2nd fuel stop looks open, but I do not remember seeing anyone actually fueling up...

[​IMG]

The weather leaving Trona isn't looking too promising...

[​IMG]

Eric (fudgypup) on Nadeau Rd...

[​IMG]

Tex on Nadeau Rd...

[​IMG]

Eric snapping a photo of the beeeutiful scenery. This is one of my faves...

[​IMG]

Eric...

[​IMG]

At camp! Happy birthday John!

[​IMG]

>>> More to follow...
  7. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday night decisions!
    [​IMG]

I stopped by camp DannyG and found a crowd around Sito's bike. Headlight issues or something...
    [​IMG]

FYYFF!
    [​IMG]

Ersin (FYYFF) arrived around 9:ish...
    [​IMG]

Val passing around the tekilla! That stuff rocked (my brain)! :lol3
    [​IMG]

Big country...
    [​IMG]

Leaving for the Saline Valley and Ersin's bike decided to shutdown...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saline Valley Road...
    [​IMG]

Eric heading up Lee Vining Flat...
    [​IMG]

Can you spot the hidden Mickey? :lol3
    [​IMG]

Dunerat...
    [​IMG]

Tex...
    [​IMG]

Eric...
    [​IMG]

RobG...
    [​IMG]

Luv2Race...
    [​IMG]

Look who's bike is working again! A jump start and everything is all good.
    [​IMG]

Trail-side social hour...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it to the springs!
    [​IMG]

Eric summoning 'ol Lizard Lee for a gallon of fuel. $6/gal isn't too bad considering we're in the middle of nowhere!
    [​IMG]

The road was so rough it was causing bikes to lose parts...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wally and Jim stashing the Beta after it mysteriously shut down while riding...
    [​IMG]

Ersin giving Adventure rides. That was a loooong way back to camp. Wally, you are a trooper!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These two guys were driving out to the springs for a day and heading back to Lone Pine(?) when all of sudden their truck would not start.
    [​IMG]

Overlooking Panamint Valley...
    [​IMG]

Saturday night taco dinner was the BOMB! Thanks to Noel and Val for cooking up another legendary meal! Thanks to Jimmy for bringing the salsa! You guys rock.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

>>> more to follow...
  8. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday night around the "rated PG" fire...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Joel and Lori for breakfast. Nice ride Joel!
    [​IMG]

Sunday's ride over Towne Pass and to West Side Rd...
    [​IMG]

Fuel in Furnace Creek...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CaliKarl...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While waiting at the end of West Side Rd this little fella hung out with us...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the Harry Wade exit route...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With around 200 yards of the trail left, a nail(?) found its way into Ersin's D606...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At a rest stop off the I-40 outside of Ludlow...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last photo of the trip. Hauling assssss down the I-40 made us look electric!
    [​IMG]

All photos from this trip can be found on my Smugmug: www.m1jeep.smugmug.com

:clap Thanks again to everyone who made this weekend possible...you know who you are :deal
  9. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Jimmy and his new Tonka Toy:

[​IMG]

From the little speed run up Goler Wash to Barker Ranch. Rode up to the mine midway. Views from both sides. On the way down I heard a funny clicking noise. When I got to the bottom, lost power, looked down and guess what.

No chain. :huh Luckily I had some minimal repair tools and friends who spotted it behind me a few hundred feet. (thanks to all who helped ---got it put back together.)

Next day Saline Valley and the Hot Springs (Sorry no nude Wally pics) Let's just say nobody wanted to see Santa's package.

[​IMG]

On the way back seems like every bike but Ersins and mine started coming apart... (aside from my kickstand) Tex Downey ejected his license plate and tail light twice... Eric almost lost his skidplate but Wally (after pretty much pinning it the whole way) farted a puff of white smoke and then quit for the day. As seen in prior pics hiding it conspicuously for a midnight run to retrieve.

Then came upon these hapless dudes in a crapped out Toyota. Couldn't help them get it running we promised to come back for them later that night. (Hoping that we could make it back for the Asada) Even Tex, who's a Tranny (not "TRANNY" expert) couldn't get their pile moving. So I gave them my survival blanky and rode Erics exhausted ass back to Pannamint Springs. Ate. Grabbed Spafxer, a bottle of Wild Turkey, some self defense weapons in the way of a big Maglite, tactical knife, Wallys breath and drove the 70+ miles back to save the hapless explorers.

No sign of them.... grabbed the wounded Beta, passed a mini camper that drove down South Pass at night and back to camp to watch the pole dancing.

[​IMG]

Thats my story. So fuck you.
  10. mrduck

mrduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Pic two in Shoshone, that be me and some fellow hooligans. A bunch of Beemer riders (from the BMWST site) in Beatty the same weekend as you guys, we were headed to China Ranch Date Farm in Tecopa.

Pic five buddies of mine....
    The red and blue RTs are some local boys from here in the high dez...

Oh yeah, this too....
    Just had to go check out the local "Gentelmans Club" in Beatty, I expected a doudle wide trailer on a dirt lot...was I surprised! Nice place, highly reccomended!

Now back to my lurking here......

Don J:lurk
  11. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Hoover on ADVRIDER. Rock on. I feel complete now.

That spread beats anything by the way. I'm going there.:freaky
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    rich, that's one good rr and lots of nice pics

always cool to see adventure bikes on the prowl. sounds like karl got the proper baptism.....:D
    [​IMG]
  13. tex_downey

tex_downey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 That is a great pic.
  14. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    :kumbaya Hey everyone, RobG was kind enough to supply the firewood @ $75 out of his own pocket. At camp I asked how much he had received and it was around half of that. Sooooooo, for those of you who enjoyed the warmth of the fire, please PayPal a $5.00 donation to RobG - sledder@gmail.com

:clap Thanks again Rob for purchasing, hauling, and unloading the wood for all of us cold FF's :vardy
  15. liorsmotoride

liorsmotoride Lior's moto ride

Oddometer:
    Nice pics
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:

ok, pay up now or rich will post up your names.......:lol3

thanks rob again for the firewood. after the awesome dinner, the camp fire talk was the next highlight of my trip.
  17. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Already paid up (that night while enjoying the fire :lol3)
  18. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Same for me...in fact I gave him $10 for Jerry and I and then he gave him another $5 not knowing I had already paid. So between us three that's $20. If he only got another $15 then only 3 other people kicked in. Hmmm... :huh

Nice campfires for sure, all three of them. :freaky
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:

time to see names and see who the cheap bastards.....:lol3
  20. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    I gave Rob $5 when we loaded up his bike Sunday morning. Take my name off the list :D