Death Valley January 29, 2010

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Luv2putt, Sep 14, 2009.

1. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    leaving in a few.
    see you FF's up there.
    if I have cell service, you can be sure to get a play by play over the weekend.:deal
  2. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    out. stay outta the snow:eek1
  3. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    you FF's have fun i think tonight is suppose to be a bad ass full moon...DV Full Moon Ride :lol3 be safe
  4. carola

carola Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there,

I was on my way to join you, but after i passed the sign "death valley" my bike just died......so now I am stucked here in Tecopa in cynthias hostel......
    I am from germany and so is my bike......my little Xt brought me from argentina all the way up here but I dont think I can make it running again.....
    and I have to be in la quinta (near palm springs) at monday or tuesday.
    so if some of you are going back to this direction and if you have spase on your trailer or pick up......would be so nice. I can pay for the petrol and everything....but if there is a chance to take the bike back with me to palm springs....
    i dont hace a cell phone, but you can call the hostel I am staying in.
    Its C-Hostel 760 852 4580.
    Hopefully somebody can help me!
    Thanks Carola
  5. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    carola. I am going to send a text to some of the guys on the death valley ride. Ill give them your info to see if they can get someone to help you out. Ben
  6. carola

carola Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...thank you so much for your help!!!!!
  7. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    bump
  8. nick_rhinocycles

nick_rhinocycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco, Moto capital of N. America
    Just left DV today...

There is no cell coverage in the valley, you need to drive about an hour to get coverage. And no real Internet either.

I suggest calling the Furnace Creek Visitor center and ask for Ranger Heidi, she is biker friendly and was very helpful and cool to the KLR guys there. She's the perfect person to help get the word out to help rescue our German friend.

Years ago I met a German on an old xt500 in Canada, Newfoundland I think, and he had rebut this bike about three times on his trip across Americas, saying how wonderful it was. We gave him some Moose meat at our camp site! Hope you are not the same guy still stuck here!
    HTH
    Nick

PS awesome weather, everyday more roads opened up, met some cool people. Don't skip this next time it's well worth the trip...
  9. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Well, my buddy and I just rode our GS's back to PHX today from DV (there since Thurs). Um, we would be the only BMW guys I saw that rode in. I only saw one or 2 others that didn't trailer out of maybe 80-100 bikes at Furnace Creek campground. :huh Good news is that a big group of Harley guys actually rode their bikes in from SoCal. :dunno Couldn't swing yer dick without hitting a KLR... :lol3 Weather was great. Didn't get to go on a couple of the rides I wanted to, but all in all a good intro to the area (for me). Looking forward to next year, maybe then I can get some of the FF's to go on night rides with me instead of riding alone. BTW, the night riding was stupendous under the full moon.

Ranger Heidi was a great sport and hopefully has some lasting digital camera memories. :evil
  10. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes

Gee, I didn't see any beemers on Mengel, Goler, Trona-Wildrose, Indian Ranch Road, or West Side Road.

I take that back, I saw one GS near Warm Springs Mine, didn't seem to be having too much fun...

Did you ride any dirtl? :ear

Great to see everyone, great riding, unbelievable camp food, and totally stupid campfire action. :jump

Best rally I went to all weekend. :deal

Thanks
    CA Stu
  11. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a great weekend riding. Did about 470 miles of dirt over two days. We managed to get in some great night dirt riding/training time every day. We even went looking for and found some snowy tracks. What more to ask for???

[​IMG]

Dave
  12. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Carola you still out there???

Hey Everyone else Did anyone find this GIRL or help HER out ????????? Fixed
    Hey Everyone else Did anyone find this guy or help him out ?????????
  13. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
  15. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:

Did you have a point? :dunno
  17. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

That was my buddy. First time at DV. First time on dirt. He didn't want to take my advice about getting up off the seat and let it dance a bit, but he had a great time and a sense of accomplishment.
  18. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear, he looked like he was really fighting that beast, and he was still on the flat stuff!
    Surely you guys didn't go over Mengel and through Goler?

[​IMG]

Thanks
    CA Stu
  19. Kenny M.

Kenny M. Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Nope. Just to Warm Springs for lunch and back.
  20. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    Yea, not as much as I wanted to though. And nothing challenging. The group my buddy and I were hanging with made the riding decisions. I couldn't get 'em to head out to the race track on Sat, instead we headed over to Panamint Springs area to check out Charlie Manson's abandoned truck (yea right) and talk to the old man at Ballarat. Did see indicated 122 :ricky on Trona Wildrose Rd. and a Navy F/A-18 from China Lake swept by about 500 feet off the ground and dipped his wings. :thumb