dEATh vALLey nOObs rALLy 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GSequoia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried to talk driver into turning around but wouldn't listen
    compute42 likes this.
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    They made it? Damn lucky.
  3. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek7
    They must've reconsidered as when we came upon them Molonlabemike & John hoofed it down and convinced them it was the only option.
    After almost backing the car off slope (eek) Mike directed him to a slot to back into and get turned around. As I rode past, asked "OK!?" they said "yes, thank you" and figured they put it in gear and made their way down. Later talked to others who said they left the car there to hike over the hill and onto racetrack... ? :eek7
  4. compute42

compute42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took a bunch of Photos, and Only will put some here, but here's all of them to DL from my dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0md3eq0fl4p0c87/AACGVL893iv40XO5bilcJrBHa?dl=0

It was my first trip to DV, Big thanks to Joel and everyone else who worked so hard to put this on. You all ROCK!

Lunch on the way up at Randsburg, after taking the Randsburg-Mojave road.
    [​IMG]

Then Trona road to the Trona Pinnacles
    [​IMG]

The Pinnacles
    [​IMG]

First View of DV coming from Trona (my first trip here)
    [​IMG]

Welcome to DV National Park!
    [​IMG]

Got into PSR just in time for this sunset
    [​IMG]

Woke up at 4AM to this view from my tent
    [​IMG]

Hitting the road early Friday AM group ride
    [​IMG]

The group stopped after a Clutch pedal bolt came loose, AMAZINGLY 2 guys came along and actually FOUND it on the road. Repairs done and back on the road in 5 min.
    [​IMG]

Seemed to be one of the tougher sections on the road up to Chloride Cliffs
    [​IMG]

But the views were great for a break
    [​IMG]

Happy peeps made it to the top of Chloride!
    [​IMG]

Onto our lunch stop
    [​IMG]

On the road to Titus Canyon
    [​IMG]

Eating some dust
    [​IMG]

Road to Titus
    [​IMG]

Enjoying the views
    [​IMG]

Taking a break to air up a leaky tire that actually held the rest of the day ;-)
    [​IMG]

Thumbs up for Titus Canyon
    [​IMG]

Dunes at sunset on the way back to PSR
    [​IMG]

I take the 5th
    [​IMG]

Past the Kilns up to this awesome campground.
    [​IMG]

Some epic pavement on the Kilns/Aguereberry Point/Skiddo route
    [​IMG]

Met this couple, at the top of Aguereberry Point and Mahogany flats, on the big ol' bmw 2-up with the DOG in the basket above the pannier.
    [​IMG]

Even keeps the goggles on
    [​IMG]

Aguereberry Point
    [​IMG]

Back to the Campground for more stars
    [​IMG]

Chillin' post Raffle. I'm still stoked on that 2011 overland journal I won. ;-)
    [​IMG]

Husky Stargazing
    [​IMG]

BMW F800GS catching some zzzz's
    [​IMG]

Back down to the Owens Valley for the slab home
    [​IMG]

Lookin' good palada
    [​IMG]

Pee break now, or pee break later?
    [​IMG]

Big Thanks to laklr650 and palada for riding up with a total NooB to DV. Our lunch stop before home.
    [​IMG]
  5. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday 4/2
    Cerro Gordo, Salt Tram, Swansea Grade, White Mtn Talc Rd, 164 mi

Mike, JT, and I headed out on the Darwin Toll Road, and on some great two tracks that head west out of Darwin through Centennial Flats. Some quick pavement to get to the Olancha Dunes.
    [​IMG]

Messing around at the dunes.
    [​IMG]

A rare shot of me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After topping off the gas tanks in Olancha, we headed up the Cerro Gordo Road to the old ghost town. From there we started working our way up to the Salt Trams. There are so many picture perfect opportunities up here, it’s almost overwhelming.

JT.
    [​IMG]

Mike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A perfect lunch spot with the Sierra’s in the background….
    [​IMG]

And Saline Valley in the foreground.
    [​IMG]

Then off to the Salt Tram.
    [​IMG]

A view of the cables as they used to run down to Owens Valley, where the salt was them put on mule trains destined for Los Angeles.
    [​IMG]

Mike and JT.
    [​IMG]

Old metal.
    [​IMG]

View of the Salt Tram and Saline Valley. You can still find regiments of the towers around the floor of Saline Valley.
    [​IMG]

Mike and I, up at the Burgess Cabin.
    [​IMG]

On our way down we ran into SonoraDave who had a radiator hose issue, so I dropped off a few supplies. I’ll let him tell that story, as I am anxious to hear the details as well.

We then road back up Cerro Gordo Rd, and down the other side. It is still very much washed out, but with much more of a 2 track packed in from all of the 4 wheelers, so it was not nearly as difficult as in years past. Then the fun blast up the fast White Mountain Talc Road 2 track!

Tracks for the entire weekend:
    [​IMG]

Once again, a huge thanks to Joel and the entire team of volunteers, and all of the sponsors!
  6. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic rally in Death Valley this year. Big thanks to Joel and all of the volunteers who made this happen. This was my 7th year at the rally, and it always delivers. The views were amazing and the weather was surprisingly mild all weekend

I'm only going to post a few photos here in the ride report, if you want to see more you can check out my entire album. (Click this text for a link to all of my photos)

Friday, I had planned to lead a ride through Darwin to Hunter and Boxcar cabins. Most folks found other rides. Gary (Oneway) and I grouped up with a couple of camp mates and joined in on GSequoia's Hunter Mountain ride. Our group (of smaller bikes) had planned on going down Lippencott and the bigger bikes were going to return via Ubehebe and Stovepipe.

[​IMG]
    Panamint Valley Overlook - Saline Valley Road/South Pass

That was the plan. Ultimately it was more interesting. We lost a rider (for awhile) but found him in Hidden Valley, after our lunch stop at Hunter Cabin. Further along, Ron had a hard fall on his GS and that ended up in a late night recovery effort (thanks, Geoff for taking care of him and his bike). The small bikes were cut loose and we rode down Lippencott after a visit to the Racetrack. No problems for us, but we encountered plenty along the way. Riders were down in Lippencott, and a family of tourists had tried to drive their Rav4 up the tough section - then gave up and planned to hike to the Racetrack anyhow. Not a good idea, and we finally convinced them to turn back and take a safer route. Everything worked out and (as far as I know) this is not another story about tourists lost in the canyons around Death Valley.

[​IMG]
    Hidden Valley

[​IMG]
    Racetrack

[​IMG]
    Lippencott

[​IMG]
    Father Crowley

Saturday, my Pleasant Canyon/South Park ride was a big hit. Plenty of folks joined in on the fun. Jimmy (1224R) co-led and SuzukiPhil was our reliable and patient sweep for the ride. This was a very tough ride (for me at least). As a result, I ended up dumping my bike after Clair Camp, getting separated from the group, and wandering up to Porter Mine on my own personal search for burros (for some reason) until I came to my senses and rejoined the group as they were changing a tire before the big hill climb up to Rogers Pass.

[​IMG]
    Ballarat

There were two options, both of them involving steep grades and a lot of loose rock. I led the Rogers Pass section and Jimmy helped riders over the "by-pass" (which is apparently much tougher). Steve's KLR had a spill or two and became really persistent about not wanting to start any more. Eventually we all made it to the top for the amazing views. On into Middle Park and over into South Park and down to Briggs Cabin for lunch with Jimmy Lewis and his crew.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rogers Pass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Middle Park

[​IMG]
    South Park to Briggs

I was starting to relax at this point. Chicken Rock and the bridge were behind us. How hard could it be to ride downhill over some rocky sections...? Well, as it turns out that was some seriously tough riding. I was exhausted at the bottom. I don't know how I didn't fall on those sections, but I know that I flailed about multiple times as the rocks bashed against my rims and I was bouncing down the hill into Panamint Valley.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    South Park after Briggs

Regrouped at Ballarat. Everyone had had enough and was headed back to camp. After blasting along Indian Ranch Road, Suzuki Phil and I decided to turn off and ride up to Minnietta Cabin. The campers there were cool and we checked the place out. We headed back to camp along Nadeau Road through loose rocks and deep sand (because I suppose I hadn't had enough punishment yet).

[​IMG]
    Back at Ballarat

[​IMG]
    Minnietta Cabin

It was great to see everyone at the rally and to meet new folks. The riding was epic. I had a blast. Let's do it again next year! (Link to full photo album)
    liorsmotoride, 1224R, drrags and 6 others like this.
  7. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got to start the next generation of advrider's young.

IMG_8793.JPG

Suzuki Phil & XR Emmi
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    guys, thanks for posting your pics with comments.

compute42, you have a great talent and a good eye. of course, isaac and lost rider set up the standard.

yeah, we had the perfect weather, awesome riding and lots of fun.

thanks to all the participants, volunteers, supporters, sponsors and not to be left out....jimmy lewis.

let's see other's ride report. i'll start mine tomorrow.
    MFGamesta and compute42 like this.
  9. compute42

Oddometer:
    Video Done! ;-)
    Thanks to SpongeRob for the idea of the time-lapse in the middle of the action during raffle night.
    I left out the vids of the tip-overs on my rides to protect the innocent.

10. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Nice work, the egg timer effect is nice. I need to put that together for myself, I love playing with TL shit.
  11. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video. what camera are you using?
  12. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    A little tough coming out of South Park eh? That's why I mentioned not being willing to do it after dark. :D
    r3r3r likes this.
  13. grease pants

grease pants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thank you, thank you for the super fun event! cheers to warren and ron for their beautiful conversation, quick pace and nor cal hospitality

here's a couple pics of my thursday afternoon solo trough titus. then I forgot I had a camera until I was all packed up, guess that says it all.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    You know after watching video of that death march I really want to do it. There must be something wrong with me.
    1224R likes this.
  15. compute42

Oddometer:
    GoPro on the helmet and for all the time lapse
    Little möbius cheapo action cam on the side of the bike.
    Photos and handheald videos I carry a Sony RX100 mkII in my tank bag.
  16. browneye

Oddometer:
    There was a vid?

17. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    One of the guys on the ride (Andy? Some A name, I think.) was going over his GoPro dailies Saturday night.
  18. browneye

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, well South Park loop is a fantastic one but not for the faint of heart. There are some really tough spots in it. I'm impressed with the group getting through it all mostly unscathed. I was curious to hear about it.

Lior had joined them for it? Saw him in the Ballarat pic....

@r3r3r - any more details? :ear
  19. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    How far did he make it?
  20. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    He turned around about 200 yards into the rough off camber section, before it gets really rough, and parked - then they decided to walk up to the racetrack...

[​IMG]
    See the white car?

[​IMG]
    After we convinced them to come back down to the car
    drrags, NSFW and Shooby like this.