dEATh vALLey nOObs rALLy 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GSequoia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Joel and the rest for a great event! Only concern was Todd not being there to keep Jimi lubricated during the raffle, but he made it thru with the kids only learning a modicum of foul language. Not a lot to share that's backed by pictures so here's a bit from me:

After Chloride Cliffs and a great route thru the desert to Beatty, a peek-a-boo in the hills above Rhyolite:
    [​IMG]

In case you were looking for them, the burros were nearby (zoom into the middle):
    [​IMG]

Then Titus Canyon (sorry no good pics) and back to camp - a great day with Cory, Adam, and Colin!
    [​IMG]

Day 2 was Saline Valley and up to Racetrack, but only advford and I were ignorant enough to go up Lippencott:
    [​IMG]

Up we went but challenged we were (yoda's voice):
    [​IMG]

And rather than do the 25 miles of washboard, deep gravel, and lava sand (?) between Teakettle and Ubehebe again we did almost 100mi of tarmac. Here's a good section of that lousy route:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the presentation Friday night, and riding with me on Saturday Dan, as well as el tres amigos! I got my ADV fix.
  2. r3r3r

r3r3r Wildebeast

Oddometer:
    Lior must have been tearing it up, since I only saw him at the meetup points. I was certainly one of the slower riders, but my bike managed to lug up the steeper rocky hills. Steve's KLR had a few spills and wouldn't start (kicker) much of the time, which I'm sure made it a tougher ride for him.

Everyone made it, no injuries or broken bikes (although some parts of the KLR may still be in the canyon). Props to Brad and Adam for taking this on after only a few months of riding behind them. I hope Adam posts some of his videos, so I can see them again.

Big thanks to Jimmy and Phil for helping me lead and sweep. I couldn't have pulled it together without them.
    1224R and Dual Badger like this.
  3. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video!!!
  4. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    Great video and photos! Nice for me because I was often behind you so the video traces much of my routes too! Was the music the group you were listening to and told me about when we were riding, I'm digging it.
  5. compute42

compute42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey!!! you made it back ok? your in the vid for a second with the dog. ;-) I got some photos of you I'll send your way when I get a min... Yeah the artist is "flume" one I was telling you about
  6. bpenn1980

bpenn1980 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was Adam's 6th dirt bike ride...yes, he is the man. I have around 9 months of moto experience, but I'm big so the XRL is like a 250 :)

I'd say this ride was exhausting for both of us (MANY tip overs on that short cut above Rita's cabin), but was the highlight of the rally for us. Or maybe the highlight was later that night laughing our a$$es off watching the video of the ride carnage :)
    1224R, r3r3r, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

dave, this is the shortest ride report i've ever read, but the pics were awesome. glad to see the 640 still rules in dv.
    codemahn and meat popsicle like this.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

edited and then posted the next day....impressive!
  9. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
    Show-off :type

:hide

:lurk

-M
  10. Ken Hooligan

Ken Hooligan aka Hooligan LT

Oddometer:
    Made my way up on Wednesday from LA, took a quick stop in Trona, captured a cool shot of a fighter jet flying low over the pinnacles:

IMAG0330.jpg

Arrived at PSR midday and made a quick turn around to ride out to Saline Springs with Joel and Mike, almost turned around when we saw nasty rain but decided to push on

After getting in around dusk, we had a nice soak, our fearless leader rides by the Bat Post:

IMAG0341.jpg

Took off early Thursday morning, the guys got excited when this beefed up Sprinter rolled into camp:

IMAG0370.jpg

Did an easy ride out to Ballarat after arriving back to PSR on Thursday aftnernoon. Joined Sonora Dave's crew for their Friday Chloride/Titus ride, Andrew busted out some MacGyver skills to fix a lost clutch pedal bolt

The crew near the top of Chloride Cliffs:

IMAG0440.jpg

After joining Joel's crew for lunch in Beatty we hit Ryolite and Titus. Saw a few more XT250's along the way, but my ego took a shot when I realized I was the only dude on an XT :dirtdog

Got a slow leak out in Titus but pumped up with help from j.king and limped back to PSR. SurfGimp schooled me on changing a tire back at camp as I've never done it on a bike, he was a good teacher and I realized there isn't much to it (this time). Joined Compute42 for a ride on Saturday up to Charcoal Kilns and Aguereberry, I then split off so I could quickly slab it down to Badwater and Artist's Drive. Rolled in right as Jimmy Lewis was finishing up, bummed I missed his presentation, but met up with Little Bike and got a good deal on a used rack for my bike. Leisurely made my way back to LA on Sunday, all told, clocked a little over 1000 miles on my little XT over the trip!
  11. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well some great ride reports so far, keep them comings. Getting started on mine!

Tuesday: Day before leaving for Noobs

After a low speed slide the Monday before noobs week I decided I needed to add some crash bars to my RR Tanks. It was also the perfect time to add some lights as I figured I would be riding out to the hot springs at night. Adding to the last min rush I needed a way to take my bike to Noobs. My buddy has a carrier but its a rather cheap one so I figured it was "that" time to make it happen.

[​IMG]
    Crash bars with added light tabs for two Rigid LED lights. Hated the fact that RR does not offer it in orange so I threw down some quick orange to hold me over till I can drop it off at the power coater.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New carrier ready to be assembled
    [​IMG]

After the lights and carrier was set it was time to stop by Ralph's for some last min items.
    [​IMG]

Now the beer was purchased and bike was on the jeep it finally time to get some sleep...
    [​IMG]
    MtnRubi, BrockEvan, kumatae and 4 others like this.
  12. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Might want to fix those photos, Mike [​IMG]
  13. Molonlabemike

Oddometer:
    Damn you got me, damn puter needed a restart. Fixing that now!
  14. Molonlabemike

Oddometer:
    Wednesay: Noobs!

Well after burning the midnight oil I got up super early as I had to work a few hours before I could take off. So up at 5am and heading to Hollywood!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [/URL]

After a few solid hours of pretending to work it was finally 1 which meant it was finally time to hit the road. Being I was planning meeting a few friends at the hot springs I was eager to beat the sunset as I had no idea where I was heading!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_0999.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1025.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Now while I was heading to the resort I was heading down the 1 mile dirt road which makes zero sense. While obeying the 35mph posted speed limit some jackass flew past me and kicked up a nice sized rock and cracked my windshield. Great, just what I needed, another $380 fix.

[​IMG]

Obligatory photos on the way out to the resort

[​IMG]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1021.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1041.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Seeing the weather I was really think about backing out of heading to the hot springs but once I got to the resort I was ready to ride. Load up! Speaking with a inmate Joel and Mike just left about an hour before I arrived so I knew if I boogied I would be chasing them down, time to ride.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1045.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Finally arrived just after the sunset so I was pretty glad I had the extra lights as the RR light package definitely is not up to the task. Upon arriving I saw an old buddy Joe who handed me a cold beer, perfect!

Not knowing what to expect I found Joel and Mike and set up camp. Once camp was assembled it was time to drink and enjoy the hot springs, sorry no photos.

Thursday: Head back to camp and enjoy the noobs parade

Waking up really regretting polishing off the cheap vodka I brought it was time to get back to camp. I think Mike was pretty excited http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1060.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1064.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1063.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Slightly hungover my "wings" didn’t kick in for a few miles but once they did I was able to get in a few miles before the guys. This allowed me to grab some photos of the bike, everyone needs more photos of their bikes, duh!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1068.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1072.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1075.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1080.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Once we got back to camp we grabbed so much needed food and enjoyed some ice cold ice tea. All was going great until Mike needed a little Katchup, little too much muscle apparently

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_0679_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

After getting camp reset up at the resort I was pretty whipped aka hungover so decided against twisting some more throttle. Instead I walked over and hung out with Mike over at site 1 and shot the shit. Overall a great start to Noobs and I went to bed early really looking forward to tomorrow's riding.
    kumatae, TheQuietOne and Little Bike like this.
  15. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    Mike - Bone yards usually have discount auto glass places if your insurance isn't giving you love. It's chicom glass but provided they have JK glass in production it should be cheap. I got my XJ glass for $85 installed.
    Molonlabemike likes this.
  16. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    Once again it's time for the ADVRider Death Valley Noobs Rally, one of the highlights of my year (and one of the only reliable times I can get dirt under my motorcycle tires).

[​IMG]

upload_2016-4-5_22-3-4.gif
    As usual I started out about 12 hours behind schedule. I loaded up the Jeep in the late hours Tuesday night then woke up Wednesday morning and pulled the bike onto the trailer, secured it, then hit the road.

About a mile and a half from home it occurred to me that I failed to lock my back door. To be safe I turned around to go home and take care of it. I turned into a parking lot, onto a side street, then made a left turn back onto the major street I was traveling on seemingly without incident. When I got home I jumped out of the Jeep and noticed that the trailer did not have a motorcycle on it. Might be a problem there.

I got back in the Jeep, executed a dodgy U-Turn, and retraced my steps on my route. I found the bike in the middle of that major street where I made that low speed left turn. I parked in the nearby parking lot and walked up to the bike just as the Torrance Police arrived. Do you know how embarrassing it is to walk up to an unattended motorcycle and say "that's mine?" I do.

Luckily the cop didn't cite me for littering and even held traffic while I picked the bike up and pushed it to the parking lot to inspect damage.

[​IMG]

I got off lucky. Nobody ran it over and all I had were scratched body panels, a destroyed headlamp frame, two broken mirrors, and scratched spot lamps. All items except the low beam worked and the bike seemed to run true and straight. I loaded it back up then ran back home and added three more straps, if this thing fell it was not leaving the damn trailer! I'm sure I initially didn't preload the suspension quite far enough, the first (and hopefully last) time I made that mistake.

I stopped by Del Amo Motorsports on the way out of town to grab a side mirror then got on the wonderful 405 freeway where I hit speeds of up to 23 miles per hour. Some four and a half hours and approximately 16 gallons of gas later I arrived at PSR.

After some time arranging gear and talking to folks Joel and company headed off to the springs while No Longer Has a KLR Rob and I went to Hunter Mountain to set the repeater up. We made quick work of the hike up the mountain and had clean comms to PSR.

[​IMG]
    @KLRrob posing.

[​IMG]
    We even got some white stuff.

From there we jumped in the Jeep and ran back to camp where we had dinner, told lies, and in general had a good time.

Sequoia
    airborndad, r3r3r, typeamark and 4 others like this.
  17. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    DVNR 2016, Thursday. Reward Mine, Dirt to Darwin

Thursday was my intermediate-level ride into Reward Mine. There is something childishly fun about riding your motorcycle underground and I've been wanting to do it for some time.

The morning started well. I had a good group of riders that all knew their bikes well, I had a good feeling about the ride plus, unlike last year, everybody knew they would be getting into rocks.

[​IMG]
    From left to right we have Bob, Dave, Isaac, Mike, and Ben. I'm behind the camera, of course.

The ride started with 60 miles of slab. I used this time to run the bike up to 70MPH; despite falling off the trailer it still ran straight and true, I dodged that bullet. The ride was uneventful except for areas where we fought a headwind, the little 350 did not much like pushing wind at 60, I had to drop speed a few times to keep the cylinder head temperature down below 375º.

Our first stop was the old Manzanar Airstrip. This was used during World War II to serve the nearby Manzanar Internment camp and as a fallback point in case of invasion. The camp is just over 395 and I urge you to stop by and visit it for a sobering look at a dark period of our history.

[​IMG]
    Manzanar Airstrip in 1943

Nowadays the airstrip is just some ruins in the desert and good for photo ops.

[​IMG]
    Mike conserving energy before the trail.

After a brief stop we were eager to hit dirt and high-tailed it to the trail. A few miles of poor pavement and washboard and we were on the path to Reward. I went about 1/3 of the way up and waved everybody to pass me by so I could watch them on two rock gardens at once. When I was catching up to the group I saw that Dave had succumbed to gravity and before I could even get the stand down he had already picked the big 1190 up by himself, that guy's an animal!

He quickly found that the RH footage was bent so did a trail repair using a local, organic, non-GMO rock as a tool. Isaac supervised since he was wearing the CalTrans hi-vis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The mighty little DR against the backdrop of the Eastern Sierra range.

We made short work of the rest of the short trail with no more incidents. When we got to the mouth of the mine we were all eager to get going so saved photo ops for later. We entered the mine and rode down to the main hall area where we stopped to let the dust settle for a photo op.

[​IMG]The group inside. Photo credit goes to the talented @isaac004

[​IMG]
    Portrait of some jerk. Photo credit again to the talented Isaac.

We spent some time exploring the mine both on foot and on moto before we decided to head out and grab some chow. On the way back we took the time to grab some photos.

[​IMG]
    The group at the mouth.

[​IMG]
    On the tailing pile with the snow-capped Sierras behind us.

[​IMG]
    Me riding down the trail, yet another photo shamelessly stolen from Isaac.

[​IMG]
    Dave and Isaac prepare for flight on the airstrip.

[​IMG]
    Isaac getting some speed on.

[​IMG]
    Dave trying to cheat the wind.

[​IMG]
    Lonely old DR350.

[​IMG]
    Lunch at the Mount Whitney Restaurant.

After lunch Isaac said he knew a dirt route to Darwin so we could avoid a good amount of slab. We swapped positions with him in lead and me now in sweep and followed him. He turned off on a dirt road and we had 22 miles with a good amount of sand. I, of course, proceeded to immediately drop the bike in the sand then Mike and I spent a good twenty minutes working on getting the old bike to start (damn kickers). After that I had no more incidents despite the fact that sand and I are not friends.

[​IMG]
    Ben walking off one of his more painful crashes.

[​IMG]
    We've all been here.

We made it to Darwin and stopped at the old Post Office for a photo op.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Darwin does have its creepy side...

Before we left Russ joined us on his XR-650R, Russ and I would become buds by the end of the event over some R1200GS carnage on Friday. We all opted to slab it home as it was getting late and we didn't want to miss dinner. After dinner I took my headlamp apart to try to aim it a bit better then turned in before midnight to rest up for Friday's Lippincott and Hunter Mountain/Hidden Valley ride.

Sequoia

Attached Files:

18. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    *renews determination to actually learn how to ride my motorcycle* ...or I'll just hike it...
  19. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    If you look at it just right the back tire looks like it's 6" off the ground.
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the others have more to report (i.e. better pics - ADVFORD will).

The 640 felt good in the open desert, even entering dry washes too fast (coming off the pegs on the way out is a pucker moment), but going up Lippencott held no majesty... it was a grunt battle. Still damn fun! Jimmy (Lewis) told me that night - after his fantastic demo and Q n' A, in which he told us to master the brakes before throttle so things like dry washes don't ruin a ride or life - Jimmy said that going down at least one tooth from stock gearing should help rock crawling, but it sounded more to him like a combination of balance and clutch-work issues. My ADV-fu needs more work!
    advFord, garfey and NSFW like this.