dEATh vALLey nOObs rALLy 2016

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by GSequoia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios...

Oddometer:
    Jealous. I wanted to bag Lippincott, preferably uphill, but fate conspired against me so I'll have to hold out for next year.
  2. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In Sonoyta, Sonora, now, heading for Puerto Penasco for Stg's 3 & 4 of Sonora Rally 2016 (First Evah! thread @ http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/sonora-rally-2016.1095714/). FINALLY gonna stop long enough to offload a bike ( Dirty 625SMC) (and set up camp at the Bivouac) DSC03772.JPG DSC03786.JPG DSC03796.JPG DSC03799.JPG and ride back up the track from Puerto Penasco to try to get pics of the racers blastin' thru. Fingers crossed!

Nearly 2500mi on Miss Myrtle so far, 5.5 days into a 4wk trip, new set of shocks in the trunk, just have to find somebody younger than I am to install 'em, grounding on every poptop I pass over, now. :photog

See (some of) y'all at WARPED.
    (Still time to sign on but T-shirt orders end TODAY!)
  3. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DAY 1: Panamint Valley Exploration (Thursday 3/31)

Arrived PSR late wednesday night to find the whole back rows of the campground occupied by some sort of trekking group. Almost drove over a few of them until I saw the heads popping up from sleeping bags scattered among the rocks. Don't remember the details, but I guess they had done a multi-day hike from somewhere in Owens Valley and they were all packed up and gone before sunrise.

Had to wait until thursday morning to claim site #24 as camp914 :thumb
    [​IMG]

Set up my tent, unloaded the bike, and took a few moments to enjoy the surrounding desert.

Weather was perfect. This was gonna be a beautiful day :nod
    [​IMG]

I had offered to lead an exploration loop around Panamint Valley this day and I think there was one rider signed up before I had left home.

Waited 'til after 930am and didn't see anyone at the designated meeting area. Might be flying solo today :dunno
    [​IMG]

Then found SpongeRob still hangin around camp and conned him into tagging along. Off we go :pynd
    [​IMG]

Picked up Nadeau Rd just a few miles from camp and followed it south along the Argus Range.

The trail up the wash was actually in better shape than usual. Guessing it was more torn up by sunday.
    [​IMG]

Skipped Osborne and Lookout (been there before), but then found Spafxr and Browneye dry camping back behind Ash Hill.
    [​IMG]

They had brought some cool toys along and let us plant a few lead seeds in the dirt :2guns
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys :wave :beer :deal

Round the corner we made a quick stop at Minnietta for Rob to have a look.
    [​IMG]

Probably one of the best set up cabins in the area, with a great view and almost always occupied.

Continued...

-M
    liorsmotoride and browneye like this.
  4. rider914

Oddometer:
    DAY 1: Panamint Valley Exploration (Continued...)

Just up the canyon is an interesting mine that is worth taking a look.
    [​IMG]

Just inside is a large swiss-cheese gallery with light shining in from overhead shafts.
    [​IMG]

We followed this tunel a long ways into the mountain...
    [​IMG]

... but didn't climb up there :nono
    [​IMG]

The caves are occupied so watch where you put your head :eekers
    [​IMG]

Stepping back out into the light...
    [​IMG]

... and time to move on.
    [​IMG]

Continued...

-M
  5. rider914

Oddometer:

Heading back down Thompson Cyn, looking across the valley towards Telescope Peak.
    [​IMG]

Numerous crumbling stone structures are scattered throughout the area.
    [​IMG]

We hugged the hills heading south...
    [​IMG]

... and rode up Snow Cyn to check out the St. George Mine.
    [​IMG]

Nearby, we spotted an old cut that circled up and around above the mine. I had to give it a try :evil

Made it up the first gnarly climb to a landing and decided (foolishly?) to continue on :pynd
    [​IMG]

That climb was crazy, but I did make it :clap

Went a little past this point to where the cut basically went straight up.
    [​IMG]

Trials bike woulda been nice for this, but I wasn't on one, so time to turn around.
    [​IMG]

Going down was sketchy with the big tank and tall seat, but made it unscathed :knary
    [​IMG]

Reunited with Rob and we pushed on south down Nadeau Rd.
    [​IMG]

Continued...

-M
  6. rider914

Oddometer:

We had used a lot of time plinking, spelunking, and scrabbling so we skipped Bendire Cyn and aimed straight for Shepherd Cyn.
    [​IMG]

At the top we found Kopper King Cabin. I've known about this one for awhile, but this was my first time here.
    [​IMG]

Small and simple, but nice and clean inside.
    [​IMG]

We did a little more exploring in the area ...
    [​IMG]

... and found a spring with a palm tree and a shabby old trailer camp.
    [​IMG]

It was pretty ratty inside and out :puke1
    [​IMG]

There were a couple things I wanted to check out in the Panamint Range, so we jetted across the valley ...
    [​IMG]

... and made brief stop at Ballarat to say "Hi" to Rocky and enjoy a cold drink :jkam
    [​IMG]

Continued...

-M
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  7. rider914

Oddometer:

We buzzed north on Indian Ranch past the wetlands and made a right turn up Jail Cyn.
    [​IMG]

It was pretty thrashed almost all the way up.
    [​IMG]

We were surprised to find a couple rigs at the end of the road.
    [​IMG]

Turned out to be the owners of the claim, out enjoying the desert and doing a little upkeep.

The small cabin was a bit shabby on the outside ...
    [​IMG]

... but somewhat clean in the inside.
    [​IMG]

It was getting late so we didn't stay long. Time to head back thru the Erzberg challenge.
    [​IMG]

The locals were not impressed by our skills :twitch
    [​IMG]

Down on the valley floor, Rob switched to 'bobber' mode for the cruise back towards camp :ricky
    [​IMG]

Instead of pavement, we finished off with another dirt section on the west side of the valley.
    [​IMG]

Green posts on both sides indicate this is basically a wilderness corridor :thumb
    [​IMG]

Into the setting sun on Hwy190.
    [​IMG]

Arrived back at PSR around 6pm just in time to suit down and jump into the dinner line :dukegirl

End of Day 1.

-M
    liorsmotoride, drrags, NSFW and 4 others like this.
  8. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    Nice. I was thinking of bringing a lil' something to play with on Wednesday. Maybe next year.
    Molonlabemike likes this.
  9. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Nice Matt.
    Kopper King is one of our fav's. :thumb

Here's a pic from the front porch, it's a cool place to stay.

[​IMG]
    NSFW and airborndad like this.
  10. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    DVNR 2016 Friday - Hunter, Hidden Valley

Friday was my Lippincott, Hidden Valley, Hunter Mountain run. After a hearty breakfast at PSR I geared up and went over to the gas station to see how many people were going to join me on my Lippincott/Hunter Mountain trip. Randall and Gary decided to join up with us as his group ride fizzled and between him, myself, and the other riders we decided to reverse the planned route and go up Hunter Mountain and down Lippincott. I was okay with this as I really just wanted to bag Lippincott for the list and was perfectly happy going down instead of up.

Joining Randall and I we had Gary, Russ (who I met the previous night in Darwin), Shridhar for the loop. The big bike subgroup, Sarath, Sachin, Vicram, and Ron joined up with plans to peel off at the Racetrack to return via Ubehebe Crater and Racetrack Road.

We all climbed onto the bikes and slabbed it out to Saline Valley Road. There we regrouped and waited for the dust from the last group to settle before we started on our way. Since Randall is more comfortable with riding at speed than me he took point while I ran sweep for most of the ride.

[​IMG]
    As I rounded a corner I found that Sarath's F800 washed out from under him. After a quick victory pose I helped him get it back on its feet, having flashbacks from the ill-fated 2015 Reward Mine trip.

[​IMG]
    The group regroups.

[​IMG]
    Vikram just after taking a photo of the view into Panamint Valley.

The group met up again at the Panamint Valley Overlook near South Pass and we decided to have Randall lead the faster group to Hunter cabin for lunch while I lead the slower group to the same. Sarath ended up being our new sweep and we made quick work of getting to Hunter Cabin.

Where we all made the turn off leaving Sarath behind!

When it came to my attention that Sarath didn't make it in I geared up and took off trying to find him. I ran two miles further down the road to no avail so started to backtrack fearing he had trouble. I ran across a couple of KTM riders and they reported that they had found no stray F800. I asked them to keep an eye out for him and let him know we're behind him then I returned to Hunter Cabin feeling a bit crummy. We quickly finished lunch, packed up, and got back on the trail to continue on and, hopefully, find our stray rider.

[​IMG]
    About to drop into Hidden Valley.

[​IMG]
    Vikram getting the job done.

Shortly after we dropped into Hidden Valley I rode up on the group stopped. We had found our missing rider! There was much rejoicing. We all had a laugh and Sarath didn't even punch me in the eye. We climbed back onto our noble steeds and continued on.

Things were going great, everybody was riding at a pace that worked for them and we were near the end of Hidden Valley about to get a photo-op at Teakettle Junction, things were going great.

Or so I thought...

Attached Files:

NSFW likes this.
  11. GSequoia

Oddometer:
    DVNR2106 Friday - Recovering Ron

Just as we were about to come out of Hidden Valley, about 1 - 1.5 miles away from Teakettle Junction I rounded a corner to find Ron's bike upright and everybody stopped.[​IMG]

From the distance when I arrived I thought that he was just rifling through his tail box to get tools to fix a flat tire or mechanical issue. As I was dismounting I realized this was something else and quickened my pace walking up. That's when Sachin said to me "the bike's done" and pointed out the front wheel.

I walked over to Ron as he was hitting the Help button on his Spot. I told him I was the guy with the Jeep and off-road trailer, he heaved a huge sigh of relief to hear that. I advised him to shut the Help message down then send out an OK to let people know that the situation was handled just in case that brief Help made it out.

Throughout the day Ron had been keeping up with the faster small bike group. He'd been handling that big GS great. Here near the exit of Hidden Valley he hit the one large rock he didn't see at a high rate of speed. This caused his front wheel to explode and him and the GS to go flying, Ron landing on his shoulder.

The force of the hit pushed the wheel rim to the left a good two inches. This sent the LH caliper and disc through a bunch of the left hand spokes and ripped the nipples off a number of right hand spokes. Ron ended up with what appeared to be a broken collarbone but was doing okay otherwise.

I asked Russ to ride ahead to the main group to report the situation then continue on to Lippincott as I felt we had the situation under control. Then after evaluating Ron we got to work getting the GS to the side of the trail. The first thing I did was to get both calipers off the bike and ziptied to the crash guard in hopes that we could get the front wheel to move. This freed the wheel to rotate but we quickly realized the wheel was so far gone that it would just flop around on the hub. We moved it to the side of the trail as best we could and secured the tail bag contents.

Throughout the entire process I made it a point to carry on a conversation with Ron. I partially did this so he knew what I was doing and could offer input but it was mostly so I could monitor his responses and make sure he was making sense. I came to the conclusion that he was doing alright head-wise and we didn't have a major emergency on our hands. The four of us discussed the situation and decided it would be a bad idea for Ron to ride on the back of a bike through 20 miles of the worst washboard in the park so after making sure they had adequate supplies Ron, Sarath, and Vikram stayed behind while Sachin and I high tailed it back to PSR.

We were determined but Teakettle is way the hell out there and Racetrack Road is a terrible place to ride between the relentless washboard and spots of deep gravel. Once we hit the pavement I pushed that poor little DR as hard as I could. I'd never heard the poor bike ping until then so I downshifted and pushed it harder. Coming up Towne Pass my TrailTech Voyager gauge told me the cylinder head was at 401º as I tried to maintain 55 so I dropped down to 50 and kept pushing knowing that once I cleared the next hill it would be smooth sailing. Despite that it still took us two and a half hours to make PSR. We pulled into camp, removed the MX boots, and geared up for the rescue. By about 4:00 Sachin and I were back in the Jeep and pulling out for the long trip to Teakettle.

On our way down Racetrack road we had to slow down to 25MPH behind a 4Runner, that is the worst speed for washboard. Somewhere in that brief stretch my spare tire left the trailer. We stopped to look for it but no luck, all we found was the strap. It's funny, in twenty years of driving I've never lost a single load and here I lose two in one weekend.

Also along the way we saw a Park Ranger talking to a family with a broken down pickup truck. He had the situation handled so we waved and continued on our way to the rescue arriving just around sunset.

I pulled past the scene of the crash so I could get the Jeep and trailer turned around, being that we were in a canyon I had to find a wide spot and make a multi-point turn, luckily that little trailer is nimble. I pulled up in front of the bike and we all started to see if we could simply push it onto the trailer.

No friggen way. Out comes the winch.

[​IMG]

I yet again turned the Jeep around, tucked the lunette eye of the trailer under the Jeep's front bumper, and Ron ran the winch controller while Sachin, Sarath, Vikram, and I stabilized the bike and guided it up the ramp and onto the trailer. We then loaded Ron into the Jeep, turned the Jeep around, recoupled the trailer, and started making our way gingerly back with Sarath and Vikram running point on their F800GS and V-Strom 650, respectively.

On our way out we came across the black pickup again, this time with no ranger. As I pulled past I noticed there were still people inside so I stopped to talk to them. There was a man, woman, and a very young baby (I'd say 3 - 6 months). She assured me that a tow was on the way and they had everything they needed to stay the night, if necessary, so I continued on the way making several stops so an exhausted Sarath could drink water.

On one of those stops I jumped out to take a leak and noticed that the GS had shifted and fallen onto the LH fender, luckily those fenders are seriously beefy and handled the weight of the GS. Sachin and I lifted the bike back upright and I held it there while Sachin got the strap connected, he got it sorted just as my arms were running out of steam. We then re-secured the trailer and kept a closer eye on it until we hit pavement.

Once we got on pavement I took point and drove down North Highway until we found cell reception. Ron then called his wife (stretching the truth to his injuries a bit) and his brother to arrange pickup with a car and trailer the next morning. As he was making calls I spotted a tow truck a distance out, us jeep drivers can see tow trucks twenty miles away. He stopped to make sure we were okay and I verified he was going after that family. I told him where they were and after a few curses at having to drive down that washboard he headed out to get them, I felt a lot better knowing for certain that rescue was on the way. Then we had the highway to ourselves as we made our way to Stovepipe for some much needed fuel for the thirsty Jeep.

[​IMG]

We pulled into camp at 12:30 - 12:45 where we found Russ had stayed up waiting for us to make sure we got back clean. We told him the story and I had a beer with him then crawled into my tent exhausted.

We came for an adventure and it sure found us. The bike has some serious damage but looks fixable (looks like a fun project but then we all know I like resurrecting machines). I'm no doctor but Ron's collarbone sure appeared to be broken but he was in good spirits and carrying the pain well, it helps that there were some painkillers involved.

Sequoia

Attached Files:

Davethestick, r3r3r, kumatae and 8 others like this.
  12. surfgimp

surfgimp To win without risk is a triumph without glory

Oddometer:
    Write off 2 Emgo mirrors, no biggie. If anyone finds a tool tube w/ vice grips and a 25' tow strap, well...happy birthday. By the end of the day the bike was fouling, loading up and stalling, and I had to pull my right heel onto kicker by yanking up on my pant cuff (legs no-go no-mo). Yah, I was done in, but I made it back alive - Nanna Nanna Boo-Boo
    r3r3r, NSFW and rjnutt like this.
  13. THRASHED

THRASHED In your helmet, no-one can hear you sing, I hope.

Oddometer:
    So, I'll start now and continue as I add pics. This year, along with hanging out with the usual suspects for riding: airborndad, justinbustin, philly burns...I also brough along my daughter and wife. The firs pavement they saw as legal riders was Thursday afternoon as we turned right out of the campground. They were truly noob riders. First up...think she was exited about heading out?

[​IMG]

Thursday was a warm up for them and no pics. But the four guys made a run to China Gardens with the obligatory stop at Darwin:

[​IMG]

Just up the trail from China Gardens is a lot more green, but without the little pool with the fish.

[​IMG]

Tried my best to stay away from the Chola's

[​IMG]

Poor Philly Burns, it's like his bike wanted to keep going without him

[​IMG]

On Friday, with only 59 miles on my wife's bike we put in 156 miles doing the Rhyolite, Beaty, Titus loop. What a great day with perfect weather.

Philly Burns and bookworm (my daughter).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time I've seen the train depot opened up. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great place for a group shot:

[​IMG]

Mawesome (my wife) looking comfortable out of the saddle in Titus

[​IMG]

Lunch Stop

[​IMG]

From across the road...made me laugh..

[​IMG]

Saturday airborndad had a ride set up for Augeberry and Skidoo. We ended up with 11 people for the ride and had a blast. Don't remember everyone's name of course.

As always, a great view:

[​IMG]

He's kind of a ham

[​IMG]

A couple from Skidoo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bookworm is not a fan of individual pics..and Philly Burns in the background seems a bit worse for wear.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

airborndad and Little Bike like this.
  14. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friday: Time to finally show DV who’s boss!

So after a great nights sleep and a quick meeting of the minds it was time to gas up and head out. Our route was great, Hunter Mountain, Tea Kettle Junction, Race Track, Lipincott, and finish back at Panimant Springs with a cold beer.

Parhump Mike getting ready to giddy up

[​IMG]

Time to gas up!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1087.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1090.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Gas is in the tanks, time to hit the 190.

[​IMG]

Showing off my new dash setup, worked pretty damn good.
    [​IMG]

No reason for this photo other then I thought it was cool, its my ride report so deal with it.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1101_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Here is the Fridays Derelicts getting g ready to eat some dust. Please note TDSurf showing us how he likes to ride. With that said it was a great set of gents to ride with and I am super happy they allowed me to tag along.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1102_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1104.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Parhump Mike breaking in his mint 650L

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1105_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Backside of Hunter Mountain

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1106.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Really cool rock formations, if only I paid attention in College I could explain what were looking at. Post college I can tell you were looking at a 2015 KTM 690 R with too much money invested into it.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1111.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

We survived Hunter Mountain, the fun part was the road leading up to Tea Kettle Junction.

[​IMG]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1118_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Yours truly with some dirt in my beard, happy as a hooker on a Saturday night.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1123_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Really pissed that we can’t ride on the Race Track, kinda bullshit really. I would love to do some wheelies down the track, could be fun.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1138_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1157.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1148.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Now it was the part of the ride I was looking forward to, Lippincott

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1167_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

These gents making it look easy, to be honest it wasn’t too bad. Last year really seemed worse unless you are in a stock Toyota Highlander…more of that later

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1170_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Time to look way down the “hard section” of the trail and what do we see? A stock Toyota Highlander 4X4 being driven by a family who had no business being on the side of Death Valley…someones sleeping on the couch tonight

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1173_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1174.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1179_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

I had to be that guy who took photos, I couldn’t help myself.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1182.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1186_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Once we all made it past them it was smooth sailing to the main road.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1193.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

OldThomas aka John

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1200.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Parhump Mike

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1202.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

TDSurft

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1205.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Shoobie

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1208_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

On the way back we ran into Jim who was on Jimmy Lewis Bike on the side of the road. After some quick quicks to the rear tire the bike started up and we got him home. Turns out the check valve in the breather tube was causing the bike to vapor lock. To be honest I had no idea and got lucky checking the gas lid each time…ok maybe I had a hunch. back to camp we all enjoyed some ice cold beer and some Pizza at the resort.

After some late night fun we called it a night as we had a pretty long ride planned for tomorrow. I have a feeling it will require a lot of slab but in the end it would all be worth it, more to come soon!
    mike89061, kumatae, dtysdalx2 and 3 others like this.
  15. Molonlabemike

Molonlabemike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday: Slab or Bust!

Well Saturday arrived and we had an idea of where we wanted to go but nothing was laid in stone. We finally all “agreed” upon heading to Beatty, Rhyolite, Titus, then Chloride Cliffs. With that in place Mike, John, Tom, and I hit the slab and headed out to Beatty.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1216.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1221.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Ever feel like you’re being followed?

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1238.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1245.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Pretty sure he is telling me I am number 1, thanks Tom!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1249_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1251_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

After finally reaching Baetty we stopped at KC Outpost. Last year the gents and I got some great Pizza before doing a pretty epic journey so hell lets do it again…Well maybe not. Apparently there was a large biker rally the day before and they were cleaned out of pizza dough, sandwiches and root beer was a solid second choice.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1255.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Defiantly ice cold root beer

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1257.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Now we were fueled up and fueled up we hit the road and headed to Rhyolite for a little Art exploration.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1262.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1266_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1272.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1274_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

All arted out we head for out next stop, Titus canyon.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1276.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1281.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Little flowers left over from the superbloom!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1282_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1285.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1290.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1292.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Always amazed by the amazing rock formations in titus, never gets old.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1306.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1315.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1318.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1322.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

John showing that 1190 who’s boss

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1326.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Mike pretending he’s gonna take the camera guy out….really cute buddy!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1328_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Tom out for a little Saturday stroll

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1332.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

once we hit the slab after Titus I was whipped and the rest of the guys were to so we cut eh trip short and headed back to base camp. The motivator you ask?

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1345.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

That right, cold beer and food. John and I headed over and enjoyed a few pints with Shoobs before heading over to see Jimmy make us all look like noobs.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1346.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Everyone thinking…”oh that looks easy”

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1349_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

Jimmy Lewis explaining how his milk shake brings all the boys to the yard

http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Molonlabemike/media/IMG_1358_1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

After Jimmys class demos we all lined up for some great food and enjoyed some more beer. Around 8:45 it was everyones favorite time, Raffle time! Dropped a $100 on tickets and it paid off as I scored a RMATV gift card, Kriega front Hual loop, motorcycle mexico DVD set, tuff lights LED turn sigs, and $300 off Jimmy Lewis class! Talk about success, can’t wait to get everything installed and a class booked.

We also “all” had a great laugh at Migiltos expense when he “won” his Garmin GPS. I hope Mike doesn’t hate Joel and I too much and I will look forward to my punishment.

Overall I had an amazing trip as always and I really look forward to riding with everyone next year. A big thank you to all of the DVNR sponsors, volunteers, Joel for putting the event on, Jimmy Lewis, Migileto aka Mike for the chairs, steaks, waters, and power, my riding partners The Mikes, Joel, Shooby, Ted, Tom, and John. Looking forward to everyones photos and RR, cheers!
    mike89061, kumatae, dtysdalx2 and 3 others like this.
  16. advFord

advFord Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to dust the cob webs off my bike as I hadn't rode since the fall. Glad to have this annual weekend I know I'll get time in the dirt. I threw on a new rear Heidenau K60 Scout and set off for PSR from Costa Mesa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When I rolled into camp Friday afternoon it was great to see the usual suspects NSFW, Lost Rider, Scubalong, Meat_Popsicle and to start meeting new friends. My first noobs rally was 2013 and I was fortunate enough to have Finn (Lost Rider) as rider leader. Scubalong and Meatpopsicle were all in the class of 2013 too so it was fun getting to see these guys again.

After a late night of drinks I had a slow start Saturday morning - made better with Migelito's coffee shop. Thanks, Mike! Dave had suggested trying to tackle some new routes in the park which I was excited about too. We set off with a crew of guys from the bay area.

[​IMG]
    We headed up to Saline Valley road and up into the mountains. It was a perfect day for riding.

[​IMG]
    Looking out over Panamint Valley.

Dave and I wanted to check out Lippincott Pass so we told the others that we'd meet them at Racetrack.

[​IMG]
    @meat popsicle

The first part of Lippincott was a blast. Just as the elevation picked, so did the heat, and the speed slowed.
    For being the first ride in a few months it was a workout getting up a few sections of Lippincott but we made it.
    Not sure what TD Surf meant when he said Lippincott was graded and easy but there were a few hairer parts than graded. :-D

[​IMG]

Down the rattle road to racetrack, teakettle junction to the crater. bounce bounce
    A filling may have rattled out of a tooth I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the crater I noticed that I had bottomed out somewhere along the route - dented the plate the plastic was almost broken completely off. I'll have to finally do the tail tidy conversion for my XC.

[​IMG]

We took the main highway back to PSR which isn't too bad cause I love the sights of these dunes.
    [​IMG]

I don't know why I still pack a tent because everytime I come to the noob rally the weather is perfect for just a pad and bag to sleep under the stars.

[​IMG]

I had a blast hanging out with everyone and thanks to those who stopped by my Friday night presentation.

Sunday morning after a relaxing cup of joe at Mike and Marie's (seriously, thank you!) I hit the road home. I decided to stop by this spot at Kramer Junction to see what it was as I have drove by it dozens of times wondering.

[​IMG]

By 2pm Sunday I was back home in Costa Mesa and at 7am Monday morning I was on a plane for Minneapolis where it was snowing and it made we wish that I was back at the noobs rally even more.

[​IMG]
  17. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    DVNR 2016!

Chapter One: Getting there...

As usual; it was a hectic, last minute rush to get on the road Wednesday. On the up-side, there was rain predicted which should bode well for desert conditions. Driving north on US 395, the weatherman looked to be right for a change.
    image001.jpg
    Cloud cover south of Red Mountain – US 395

Unfortunately the promised rain never materialized. But the cloud cover meant I didn’t need to run the AC, and gave me something to look at during the long, boring, pavement slog north.

Joel had hooked me up with the same motel room I’ve been in for the past three years. I unpacked my stuff and put it in the closet. My roomie, Gunz11, got the rest of the room to store his gear (he tends to over-pack a bit).
    image002.jpg

Panamint Springs Motel - Room 8 closet

After a good night’s sleep it was time to head to breakfast. Although I usually eat the breakfast buffet at the P.S. restaurant, Chu had invited me along for a ride into Beatty for breakfast followed by a stop at Rhyolite and then a run through Titus Canyon. This worked out for me since I needed to have internet access to close out my timesheet from work (forgot to do that before I left home – D’OH!) and Beatty was the closest place with solid internet access.
  18. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    Chapter Two: The Titus Adventure! (part one)

After a brisk pavement trip to Beatty, we had a super meal at Mel's Diner. I was able to cajole the desk clerk at the Valley Inn, across the street from Mels, into giving me the motels' internet access code so I could take care of my final timesheet - I am now officially RETIRED!
    image003.jpg
    Breakfast in Beaty: Brook (DrunkMonkey), Sue (LittleBike), Mike (don’t remember) & Chu (Headstaller)

A quick stop for gas in Beatty ($2.79/gal for Premium) and we were off to Rhyolite

image004.jpg
    One of several “ghost theme” sculptures in Rhyolite

image005.jpg
    Blond female “Lego” statue - also in Rhyolite

image006.jpg
    Littlebike had a big word, which I don’t remember, to describe this one – I’ll go with “Huh?”

After we saw all the oddities at Rhyolite we headed to the cutoff for Titus Canyon. If you haven’t done Titus, you’ve missed one of the great Noob Rides in Death Valley.

19. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    Chapter Two: The Titus Adventure! (part two)

Little Bike thought she knew a way to get to the Titus Canyon access road via dirt from Rhyolite. Not so much... (note to self - don't let Sue navigate!)
    But we did get there.
    image007.jpg
    DrunkMonkey at the top of the access road

image008.jpg
    View from the access road looking north toward Leadfield and the entrance to Titus Canyon

image009.jpg
    There was no place comfy to sit at Leadfield. Since LittleBike had already dropped her WeeStrom, she decided to use it as a couch.

We ended up waiting for our lead rider, Headstaller, for about 90 minutes. We couldn’t go back to check on him because the road into Titus is one-way. We got word from other travelers that there was a guy with a white bike changing a tire “a-ways back.” When Chu arrived the delay was explained.

On a BMW, you have to remove one brake caliper in order to remove the front wheel. Somehow, the brake pad for the removed caliper had fallen out of its’ retaining grove and Chu didn’t want to take the caliper pin out, roadside, to reposition the pad. So, after many failed attempts at forcing the recalcitrant pad back into place – he used bailing wire and zip-ties to secure the caliper to the fork leg!
    image010.jpg
    Chu giving the ADV salute to his non-functional brake caliper

Once the team was back together we rode through Titus Canyon.

mike89061 and NSFW like this.
  20. KaptSlo

Oddometer:
    Chapter Two: The Titus Adventure! (part three)

Seriously, if you haven't ridden Titus Canyon - you need to do it next year! It's one of the coolest Noob Friendly trips you can do from PSR.
    image011.jpg
    Titus Canyon – Death Valley

After exiting Titus it was a pavement run back to Panamint Springs, a shower, and sumptuous dinner hosted by Arnie (AFry) and Todd (ToddLite). During dinner we were entertained by a guy flying a powered paraglider trike. I figure that thing does real well skimming over whoops, but running out of gas would suck big-time!
    image012.jpg
    Powered Paraglider Trike over Panamint Springs Resort

Next time – Chapter Three: The Friday Threepeat!

NSFW and Little Bike like this.