Death Valley/PSR/Nov 3-6

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by browneye, Oct 11, 2011.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Thursday to Monday, daily rides out of Panamint Springs Resort on dualsports.

We are scouting out for a future campout at Saline Valey Hot Springs, to determine if getting a truck in there is do-able. Next ride out there will be camp at the springs, ride in with truck support.

Must have 200 mile range, taking the hard trails, one day thru Saline, over Lippencot.

Ride groups limited to 6-8 riders. Smaller bikes okay, these will not be a high-speed runs.

IN:

Slocalspode - KL 250 Sherpa
    My TE630
    Pcfly - TE630 - maybe?
    Mark K from AZ
  2. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. SloCalSpode

SloCalSpode Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just posted to Chris in another forum. I may be forced to withdraw from
    my commitment on this trip. My father was scheduled for surgery on
    the 25th of Oct, but it appears his Dr.'s are going to reschedule the
    operation for possibly the 4th of Nov. This sux, but family comes first.
    Is there a chance to move this trip to another date? Possibly the
    following weekend, if that is not in conflict with the other DV/PSR event.....
    I will have more info and confirmation on the date soon.
    Jeff
  4. foul plug

foul plug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear

I'm GAME, but need to do the tank upgrade on the 630 to do the distances. Let me see if I can get my sh!t together in time. sounds awsome!

Chris
  5. browneye

Oddometer:
    We may end up going with the other group the following weekend. Need to get an update from Slocalspode.

Slocal just got a kolpin tank and mount, I will pick one up with the new Borrego rack as well. That will give me 5 gallons which should be good for 200 miles. Fingers crossed. :wink:

[​IMG]
  6. foul plug

foul plug Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm game either wknd at this point!

BUT don't know how ur gonna milk it for 200m even w/o any power up mods. 120 or so with stock tank. 40-45 ish per gal. this gets ya to 180+m. lot of coastin or feather touch on that right hand with the wind at your back:wink: Oh, wait, I'll bring a tow strap.....:lol3
  7. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
    Let me know if you switch........

For me it's all dependant on the work schedule. Would love to take the Husky on it's first true extended ride!
  8. browneye

Oddometer:
    Wow cool, two more 630's. At least we'd be in good company, eh?

Yeah, I get to about 110-115 when the fuel light comes on and usually can't quite get 3 gallons in. So I'm just getting 40 miles to the gallon. I love to twist the throttle!

On a DV run it may be possible to get a little more but yeah, figuring 4.6 usable @41mpg = 188 miles. Yikes. I guess I could stuff a couple of MSR fuel bottles in my backpack in the morning. That would give me 5 usable for 205. Still cutting it close. I do carry a nice heavy duty tow strap. But for 3 of us on these gas hogs???? We're gonna be in trouble! :lol3

Based on the route laid out it looks like we can make a gas stop. The problem therein lies with the distance. I dunno if I can realistically make 250 miles on this bike in a day. It will be dark by 6pm. And physically, I'm not sure. I guess I could if I had to. Would be nice to do it in a couple of legs. I've done a couple of 100 mile rides so far and my butt is sore, my back gets tired. I ride pretty fast so I can usually make up some time on open sections or road. My buddy Jeff rides slower, and he's on a 250 sherpa on which he's already said he likes to ride at 35-40 on dirt roads where I would normally probably run at 45-55. So the pace may be more moderate, or some wait stops which is fine with me, but it gets increasingly difficult to get thru all the miles in the daylight hours. Guess I'll have to put the seat concepts seat on before this trip. I can easily get 350-400 on my road bike, but it's way comfy and makes 85-95 cruising. :nod

I am also pretty adamant about getting off the trail by dark. I don't mind finishing up some road after sundown, but not offroad. I'm too old for that shit. :wink:
  9. browneye

Oddometer:
    Here is Jim's (2on2off) ride route for getting to Saline one day:

Option 1:
    1. Panamint Springs begin and end would be 251 miles and 7 1/2 hours riding time with no stops
    2. Start and stoping point: Saline Valley road and highway 190 intersection: 222 miles and 6:50 hours riding time
    3. Start and stoping point: Saline Warm Springs: 213 miles and 7 hours riding time

Option 2:
    Start and stop at PSR with one gas stop in Big Pine:
    1. PSR to South Pass to North Pass to Big Pine = 108 miles and 3 hours of riding time but some will ride it faster.
    2. Big Pine to Eureka Dunes to Steele Pass to Warm Springs to Lippencott to Tea Kettle to Hunter Mountain to South Pass to PSR = 175 miles and 5 1/2 hours riding time

From where North Pass intersects with Death Valley Road, it is only 18 miles of paved road into Big Pine for gas so that gas stop would make this loop possible for many dual sport bikes. This is one of the longer loops in Death Valley. Kind of an Iron Butt Death Valley loop with just about every kind of terrain and BIG ViEWS everywhere.

Oh man, there's a LOT of miles there either way. I don't see how I can get my bike to run over 200 miles without hauling gas cans galore. :D
  10. SloCalSpode

SloCalSpode Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Option 3 taken from Option 2.
    PSR to Hot Springs (quick soak), No. Pass to Big Pine for gas. Back track Big Pine Rd. to
    the turnoff for Harkless Flat or Papoose Flat to Mazourka Cyn. heading south dirt rd to
    Lone Pine. Take hwy 136 past Keeler to Darwin back to PSR. More Gas stops that way.
    Like I said in the other post. You could spend a week out there making loops starting
    and ending @ PSR. If it were not for the need for gas and the effort to base camp from
    there. I would LOVE to stage out of the hot springs..... That place in Heaven on Earth to me.
    I have been going there since 1986......Last time there was maybe 4 years ago....I miss it.
    Jeff
  11. browneye

Oddometer:
    Jeff, your route sounds perfect. Glad you have some local knowledge. I would probably get lost and run out of gas out there. :p3rry

Wait 'till you 630 guys see what Tom at TCI has created for our bikes. :evil

Pics coming shortly for:
    1. headlight guard
    2. windshield and mount convertible for offroad
    3. pannier racks and top rack, the latter for a kolpin or rotopax
    4. rear master cylinder guard
    5. skid with engine guards
    All powdercoated steel. The stuff is way awesome. Adds about 15lbs to the bike without the pannier racks, they add about another 5-6lbs. They will have soft bag and Pelican box style racks. I've opted for everything except the pannier racks this go-round.
  12. browneye

Oddometer:
    Your avatar cracks me up every time I see it. :oscar
  13. browneye

Oddometer:
    Jeff, this info needs to be on this thread too....

I'm goin' crystal hunting. :clap

BTW, what's in/at Cerro Gordo? Any pics?

14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

You can take dirt into Darwin, take any trail on your right after the big left hander on 190, Centennial Flat on the map.

It takes about 21 days to see all of DV:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644457

:wink:
  15. browneye

Oddometer:

Fantastic ride report. I got thru a couple of pages but anxious to read thru it all. :thumb
  16. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Thanks, you'll see all of it in that report. The only place I didn't go on that trip was the forgotten triangle around the Phinney Canyon area.
  17. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Jeff:

You are right. Tons of options in that area. Harkless Fat, Papoose and Squaw Flat have some of the most amazing views and riding in all of Death Valley. With Microsoft Streets and Trips or Mapsource, you can figure out any loop with mileage and riding time.

Possible destinations from PSR are:
    1. PSR to Ballarat to Pleasant Canyon/South Park Loop and back
    2. To the Race Track/Teakettle Junction and back
    3. To Warm Springs and back and many more options

The possibilities are almost endless. Just figure your fuel range and plan a route around that.
  18. browneye

Oddometer:

Prototype photos and descriptions here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17071037&postcount=2318
  19. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    Hey browneye
    I have been riding that area for years and would like had a few bits of info

You are only as fast as the slowest rider in the group and some of the loops are to long for slow riders
    You will use more gas than seems right.... I think it's the sand
    I don't like riding in to dark but in DV it seems to happen a few long stops (hot springs) and a flat tire is all it takes
    The roads are all easy riding on a 650 it's the distance that kick everyones ass... be prepared for a long day
    take what you might need if you had to wait for hours before help arrived.
    sorry to poo and your thread
    How go have fun I will be there II-II and would be happy to show you around
  20. browneye

Oddometer:
    I don't think you're poo-pooing at all. I completely understand. We're certainly open to any advice and help with route planning that we can get. Eagerly following along with 2on2off's thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728706
    Larryboy has been a tremendous help as well.

I too think it's the distance and saddle time and that's what I'm concerned about. Jeff has been at this game for about as long as I have, some 40 years of motorcycling for each of us. So while I have not done the 200 mile loops out there I think we have a pretty good idea what we're up against. And yes, we'll be like boy scouts....prepared to spend the night out there in the middle of BFE if we get stuck. :wink:

Would love to have you join us, arent' you going with Luv2race the following weekend? Hell we just may end up there then as well, will have to see how Jeff's schedule works out. If he ultimately can't make it I'll be coming out there with the next weekend group. Also planning to bring the new DS out for the nOOb Rally in March. It's a great country, eh?