Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Rode West Side Road last week on my 1290. I don't recall any really soft sand parts. Conditions this week should be better without all the noobs kickin' up dust
  2. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thanks!
  3. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks!
  4. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Titus Canyon road is an easy one as well. Anyone through there since it reopened?
  5. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We passed by yesterday. If it is open after a closure it has probably just been bladed.

I've seen a Prius in there. Titus is easy.
  6. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Great, thanks. Sounds like the noob I was hoping to bring along with us isn't going, but we'll ride Titus anyway just for the scenery.
    Chillis likes this.
  7. Chillis

Oddometer:
    We did Death Valley Road to Eureka Sand Dunes, Dedeckera Canyon to Saline Valley Road back to 190 and home to Vegas.

Everything went great. No issues.

IMG_20190407_152641.jpg

IMG_20190407_170942.jpg

IMG_20190407_145936.jpg

IMG_20190407_123036.jpg
  8. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    Where is that Hot Spring?
  9. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Scottydawg is on it.

It is an amazing little Oasis. We just put our feet in for a few minutes. Temperature was probably around 100°f but I have seen 104° mentioned.

Per mentions here on ADV, the participants in the pools were sans garment. Didn't bother me. We went to the pool that was empty.

What surprised me was that there was a Toyota Sienna minivan out there. I had never been on the road coming in from 190 or been there at all but coming from Dedeckera, it wouldn't be possible for that vehicle to be there.

That being said, the road in from 190, it wasn't really bad and a car could definitely make the trek. But it is with many rocks and enough wash board to clean every worldly garment twice, whether the hot springers wanted you to or not.

Even after seeing pics, like most things, they do the place no justice.
    scottydawg likes this.
  11. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Anyone recently on Chloride Cliff Road, is it big bike noob friendly?
  12. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would not call it Noob friendly for a big bike, definitely a step up from Titus.
    NSFW likes this.
  13. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were there last month and I think for the most part it was a very easy ride, I found it easier than Titus for us.
    Chillis likes this.
  14. isaac004

isaac004 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chloride is a little rougher then years past. We had a 1090 make it, but needed a push up one of the more rain damaged hills. Provides a good challenge (but not too much) for less seasoned riders (or noobs) on singles. Doable but can be tough for those on bigger twins, depending on comfort level.

Here are some examples from the recent DV Noobs Rally.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short loose section up to the highest overlook (you can get this view from easier spots nearby).
    [​IMG]

The hardest/loosest of the climbs.
    [​IMG]

Where we had to push the 1090 briefly. I will say, he was doing a great job until he came upon a stuck pickup truck in the middle of the trail and had to stop. That is why he needed that push. :)
    [​IMG]
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    That wasn't even the toughest part of that ride... dang DV traffic!
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I'd still call myself a noob (though maybe not after this ride...), and made it up Chloride Cliffs without much issue on a 1090 2 weekends ago. The aforementioned drop was from a stalled-out rider in front of me in the middle of a chunky climbing turn just passed a stuck pickup that I didn't give enough room for and ran out of options - stopped next to a hole in the trail, no place for my foot and down she went. Needed a little help getting it rolling again.

That said, it was the most challenging ride I've done thus far. If I were by myself I would have made that turn, but I don't know that I'd have even attempted some of the sections of trail without knowing I had other riders with me to help out if things went south. Having already done it, now, I'd be a little nervous about venturing that route solo on a big bike, but I'd probably attempt it, anyway.
    Chillis likes this.
  17. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AllSeasonRider,

You did very well on that 1090! The ride to the cliffs is not tough overall, but almost always has a few tricky washed out or rutted sections that can be "adventurous" on a big bike. Varies year to year on severity. You did great starting out in the middle of that tough rutted uphill turn to get going again...
    scottydawg and AllSeasonRider like this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @GalacticGS I was all ready to roll it backwards, or just walk it up around that turn to get to flatter ground. When you told me to just hop on and ride it out I was thinking, "Is this dude for real?" But it worked! Thanks for the help!
    ETAV8R and isaac004 like this.
  19. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Nude With Boots

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of heading down on Sunday morning to ride through Tuesday morning. Anybody want to join me? I ride at an intermediate pace on a light bike. (Would prefer to ride with somebody also on a dual sport, but if you can kick butt on your 500lb pig come join!)

Fell and hit my head down there last year, not the place I want to be left alone with an injury and I'm happy to have somebody join along. I've got tracks of all the roads I want to check out.
    MattLikeyBikey likes this.
  20. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel the same way - hands tied until the weekend of 4/27 and then I will only go if it's 90 degrees or less on the valley floor