Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. superhobie

superhobie Soil Sampler

Oddometer:
    I would say over the weekend there is plenty of traffic on all of that route. We just got back from doing most standard routes last week and everything was in great shape on that loop. I have done a lot of DV solo and preparation and a comfortable pace makes all the difference.
  2. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I'll be riding from Trona through Goler to Beatty either Friday or Saturday and Hotel'n it (I get 20$ rooms at the stagecoach), and doing Titus/Racetrack over to PSR the next day on my 690. Will be solo through Goler, and possibly meeting up with @MattLikeyBikey for the Titus->PSR section if anyone is interested in running away from the rain. It looks like it may be windiest sat/sun, but only bad up to Trona(I hope)
    MattLikeyBikey likes this.
  3. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah even though it's a bit warmer on Sat that may be a better day with wind factored in. I guess it's hard to find a perfect time in DV.
    DeathValleyTiger likes this.
  4. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Goler is really wet, no dust at all from ballarat until right before west side road.
    Either the steps look tiny in video, or the water washed away alot of the dirt. It's pretty much all rock and wet. Quite a bit bigger than I expected, lol.

West side road wasn't as washboarded as I expected, it was absolute butter compared to mengel.

Sprinkled on me from Barker ranch down past the Butte. Super nice and not hot at all until west side, which at higher speeds still wasn't bad
  5. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I'll add this here too, there's still snow on the peaks. This is looking west from westside road
    20190524_140115.jpg
    Chillis, KMS6, mb300 and 1 other person like this.
  6. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the condition of White Mountain Talc Road headed to Cerro Gordo / Salt Tram from Saline Valley Road
  7. mb300

mb300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In late April it was like a freeway compared to the rest of the roads in the park. Nice and smooth.

Saline Valley Rd between Hunter Mountain and the warm springs was a chopped out mess, but if you are coming north from the 190 that section of SVR is usually in decent shape.
  8. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, heading to Father Crowley Point Thursday, going to spend the morning looking for fighter jets, then heading up to the tramway and Cerro Gordo in a 4x4 Tacoma, looking for a challenging route but not too technical, just me and the wife. Staying in Lone Pine.
  9. ETAV8R

ETAV8R D.E.R.P'n

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in from some lengthy four wheel travel over the past two weeks in the region. There is snow on the white mountains, actually got sleet on top of the Inyos at Papoose. Telescope has snow on it but not much. Lee Flat road is in it's standard conditions. I spent 10 days in Owens/Death Valleys. Mostly in Owens though. Hung out in the Nelson Range a bit. Temps were good there but cold up on Papoose.
    mb300 likes this.
  10. Cereal KLR

Cereal KLR Wall of Sound

Oddometer:
    Anyone been though lately? Looks to be warm today.
    [​IMG]
    Jenn, bar-low and CrazyCooter like this.
  11. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks fine to me. Wear sunblock so your tan lines don't end up looking like your Speedo........
  12. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    That’s like around a hundred and stupid out there.

Go north young man!

Moto camping at Kolob Reservoir, Utah this weekend.
    Chillis and mb300 like this.
  13. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I drove through Sunday afternoon, car said it was a cool 120 going past the dunes and Stovepipe. Even saw a couple brave souls on bikes. Put my hand out the window just to check, and full on blow dryer haha
    Chillis and Cereal KLR like this.
  14. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've been to Ballarat when the temp was 112. It's no joke!
  15. mb300

mb300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    He's always there - interesting conversation, but we never got into politics. Mostly it was about how during the summer nobody's around and he's the only one in the entire valley sometimes.

Paid my $3 for a cold can of Coke and talked about his fridge that broke down. Well spent!
  17. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The temps look the same as what's happening up in Alaska lately....:jkam........
    bar-low and AllSeasonRider like this.
  18. rhuff

rhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The desert isn't bad up to about 112 for me, so long as you're dressed appropriately, prepared, and can keep moving. After those temps and I'll usually pass. I generally will sneak across DV about once a summer tho in the midday.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info..I can't put a like to it...Ya know?
    Where I live I get treated to my own airshow.....Jets from NAS Whidbey Island fly over my head, today F-18 at tree-top.....Whoooosh!............You have to be special to ride one of those rockets...
    ....................................:norton..................................
    Chillis likes this.