Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you mean Father Crowley Overlook, there are scores of places to get a good look like that and beyond. Bucket list intact.
    Chillis, ER70S-2 and CrazyCooter like this.
  3. rhuff

rhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the person above me said, lots of other places, but from the sounds of it, I think it’s going to be permanent.
    Chillis and ER70S-2 like this.
  4. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if Father Crowley Overlook is the same as Vista Point which was mentioned in the third article NSFW linked.
  5. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very sad. Some really skilled men and women in those planes. God Bless.
    ER70S-2 and Chillis like this.
  6. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tragic accident indeed. Rode through there about 10 days ago and Father Crowley Overlook was closed with NPS and fed crews using it to stage was I assume was their investigation.

Hard to say what will happen long-term, but the canyon is so close to the paved road too, I think it's more likely that they'll change their training routes if that section isn't essential to pilot training.
    Chillis likes this.
  7. MattLikeyBikey

Oddometer:
    Safety is the biggest illusion of all. Let the pilots continue to do their thing and keep the place open. I hope they post a warning sign rather than ruin it for everyone who doesn't expect the "govment" to keep them safe at any cost. I would orderthe pilots do a low altitude training passes over "alienstock" :-D
    BIG-E, CrazyCooter, ER70S-2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really LOW!
    CrazyCooter and MattLikeyBikey like this.
  9. MattLikeyBikey

Oddometer:
    Full afterburner?
    CrazyCooter and Chillis like this.
  10. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    For anyone planning on entering/leaving Death valley by the 178, in between Ridgecrest and Trona there is road work and they're leaving a ton of gravel on the road. From about the Trona road turn off to the Fish rocks through the canyon is where they're working on now. The "Road work" signs are pretty far from where the work is actually being done, and we've had a few accidents so far.
  11. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Who has been to the Panamint ghost town?

The government blocked driving access years ago. A long hike?

Worthwhile scenery?
    rhuff likes this.
  12. rhuff

rhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely worth the hike. It's maybe 5 miles, but it's brushy and thru the creek for much of it and a steady uphill hike. Completely doable, but easy to lose the trail, so walking the creek is your best bet for much of it.

I'll be doing it again in less than 2 weeks.
    Chillis likes this.
  13. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I have been marking all of the cabins, buildings, and mining remnants I can find for exploring this winter.

If you are going on a weekend, let me know. I have some buddies who like exploring this stuff as well. If a weekday I could meet you there pending I have to drive out from Vegas but I can leave fairly early.

Otherwise. I'll go out and check it solo. That isn't a bad hike at all and great time of year.
  14. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not-so-dumb question, perhaps answered before: What happens if you break down?

Context: my brother and I are doing a mix of pavement and off-road in DV later this month. If something worse than a flat tire happens to one of our bikes out on a remote trail, what's the best (only) way to deal with it? Wait for a kindly offroader in an empty pickup to come by and bribe them with cash? Is there any kind of 4X4 wrecking service one can even call to come grab the dead bike for an exorbitant fee?
  15. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter --Crazy MoFo-- Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read Miller's Towing will go pretty much anywhere to tow you out, but the costs I have seen are $900+ for cars. Better take a tow strap with you.......
    daveinva likes this.
  16. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Take two tow straps with you. Only one of the motorcycle tow straps that are sold is too short in my opinion. I have used tow straps in many situations and once in Death Valley. One of our riders, who did not have a bash plate installed, wound up with all the oil draining out of is bike when his front tire kicked up a rock that sheared off one of his engine bolts. He was riding a KTM 640. We towed him, with two tow straps, for 35 miles to Furnace Creek and then sent a rider to get his truck that was parked in Ridgecrest.

I always carry tools, air compressor, slime, a Spot, GPS and the Tom Harrison Death Valley Map plus other items, when riding in Death Valley. I'm sure we could start another thread on what to bring when riding in remote areas.
    daveinva and JemmyOtis like this.
  17. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Riders are starting to head out to Death Valley soon. A few of my friends plan to camp at PSR next weekend and spend a few days riding Saline and Panamint Valley. Can't wait for some of this winters first reports.
    scottydawg and Cereal KLR like this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    On a loaded 690...
    From Friday:
    Ballarat to the entrance of Goler - not bad, lots of washboard.
    Goler - there's no step right now, just a steep, loose climb. It was a handful but hardly the most challenging part of the ride. It's loose and gravely, with a little sand. It's the first time I've done it, so aside from the steps I don't know how different it is other times.
    Mengel - The boulder fields on either side of the pass were a workout. Again, not sure how it compares to other times. Would be no issue on a small bike with an OK rider... I'm on a medium bike and a poor rider, so the results were as expected. I wouldn't even think about attempting it on my 1090.
    Striped Butte Valley and Warm Springs - just chunky loose rock/gravel. It beats you up but not terribly technical. Say 'hi' to the dead burro on the side of the road near Warm Springs Camp.

From today:
    Just Titus - never did it it before, so don't know how it compares, but it ran the gamut of slight examples of loose, rutted, chunky - none bad and would be fine on big bike.
    Parx400, wbbnm, JemmyOtis and 4 others like this.
  19. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone been up golar wash lately? How are the condition of the steps?

Also does anyone know if you can take the roads that may or may not be on the military property south of there? I’m trying to a do a ride from balarat and head over to Death Valley junction. It appears up over golar or south of it are my only options.
  20. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just look at the post above yours from November 3rd.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.