Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the replies. i think Rhyolite is good.
    Chillis likes this.
  2. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any reports on Balarat to Gohler to Mansons place?
  3. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can reliably confirm that the shoulder along 178/Jubilee Pass Road, about 3 miles east of Salsberry Pass is soft sand and an Anakee Adventure inflated to street pressure of 42 PSI digs right the fuck in.

P1060846.JPG

P1060847.JPG

I think it only took about a minute to get out, maybe two, but I was sweating buckets. Had to get off the bike and feather the clutch, hoping it wouldn't hookup too hard on the pavement and loop. :deal
  4. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told ya you were welcome at my house............:beer...............
  5. NSFW

Oddometer:
    we did Titus Canyon last Sunday, it was in great shape. i was on my 701 and expecting deep gravel as we head to the bottom, but really there wasn't much. coasted all the way from Leadfield but was 50 yards short to reach the highway. good to know we don't need a motor and still enjoy the canyon.

the ride up to Leadfield is not easy for a noob especially on a big bike. ruts, rocks, and loose surface especially on the turns.

IMG_8770.JPG IMG_8636.JPG
    SFMCjohn, desertsteve, -E- and 14 others like this.
  6. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the condition of the road to wild rose kilns? I know most of it is paved but I've read last 2 miles is dirt and gravel. We have a large group doing our yearly DV ride this weekend and its mostly dedicated street bikes. Some older guys on HD's and such so just want to make sure they will be ok. I read its easily passable in cars and street bikes.
  7. sonoran

sonoran a treat especial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just out there, it is well packed dirt road and would be no problem even on a HD.

[​IMG]
  8. Mondo Endo

Oddometer:
  9. Mondo Endo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, good to know, now just have to talk my buddy with his $50k CVO to take it on a dirt road. :D
  10. sonoran

sonoran a treat especial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man if it gets dirty he'll have to spend a week clearing and polishing it. :lol3

Even if they don't go all the way to the kilns it's still a great street ride.

Have fun.
  11. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't been there recently but I have seen passenger cars lose their sump going up there.

I'd not take my HD up there but mine isn't allowed to see dirt.
  12. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was up there with my Concours 14. Turned around due to the wash-boarding.
    Chillis likes this.
  13. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    When I was in grad school in 1985, buddy and I camped at the kilns. Middle of the night a guy in a huge Cadillac comes up the road and stops where we were camped. He asked us if he was on the road to Las Vegas.
  14. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    &?
  15. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Yeah, I intentionally left some work to do after my above post. I’ll connect the dots for you.

1. It was a very large early ‘70s Cadillac on its way to Vegas. Large Caddy, Vegas? Kinda stereotypical of Vegas at that time, yes?

2. He was several miles up a dirt road thinking he was headed to Vegas. That provided us with humor at his expense.

Making fun of stereotypes and laughing at others was pretty much our jam back then.

Sorry if the original post was too abstract.
    Chillis and dzrtracin like this.
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    from last weekend before coming to the ADV Pahrump Rally......ASR has the latest up to date info!

@AllSeasonRider to the white courtesy phone please
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The road was pretty smooth last year at this time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chillis likes this.
  18. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I road Wild rose and emigrant the last two weeks, but didn't go all the way to the kilns. Wildrose was typical, good pavement near Panamint valley, maybe a few miles of broken up, missing pavement, but a street bike should be fine in that bit if in competent hands. Emigrant was good pavement, although there was a fair amount of corners with debris in them, so no grip it rip it
    2on2off and Chillis like this.
  19. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    As of last weekend...

Emigrant is fine - like was said, some debris in some corners, but otherwise just dandy and you can run a good clip if you're so inclined.

Wildrose from Trona Rd up to the intersection for the kilns is as it always is - starts as pavement and gradually breaks down as you head up, but nothing tricky or rough. Any bike would make it.

The paved section to the kilns is just fine. The unpaved portion is reasonably nice gravel - a little washboard, but I wouldn't hesitate to take any bike or car to the kilns.

If you go past the kilns up to Mesquite Flat, the road is quite a bit steeper and chunkier, but not "steep" nor "chunky". Again, not particularly challenging, but I wouldn't take a street bike up it. Literally any ADV bike would be fine.

The road into Ballarat and Indian Ranch Rd out of Ballarat are also quite typical conditions. Some minor washboarding and a mildly soft spot here and there, but they are well maintained and fast. You're biggest issue will be other road users, especially on the road to Ballarat.

Auguereberry (sp?) Point is in the same camp - vast majority of it it well maintained and fast gravel. It gets slightly more chunky near the top, but easier than Mesquite Flat, so any ADV bike will make it without issue.

Only other unpaved I did was 20 Mule Team Canyon, which was in REALLY nice shape, no issues. A Toyota Camry would have no issues.
  20. NSFW

Oddometer:

thank you ASR for the latest and the greatest!

the $$$ harleys can play now....:clap
    AllSeasonRider and Chillis like this.