Dec. Campout in ANF

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by HTSRocker, Oct 30, 2008.

1. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fell on a wooden bridge :eek1
  2. tconnell

tconnell Old Nocker.. Gitin' Young

Oddometer:
    BUZZTAIL - Thanks for bringing up my fall from grace :D I figure if I'm gonna do it, might as well do it good. A simple one in the dirt is just unspectacular, but with all the splashing and waves of water and all, I thought it just to go ahead and do it right:rofl I saw the error of my ways when I had to stop about 10 miles from camp and do some restructoring of necessary nitetime riding apparel. I.E. pour more water out of my boots.

Now on the tag. I figured I'd wait until the last day of the 30 to get that sucker paid for and let me play with that money on some neat farkle like gel grips or a cruise control.
  3. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Mr. Connell, check your Private Messages. :D
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will go against the grain here :fitz and say that a down bag is a very good investment. I was lucky enough that the Marmot bag I bought 8 years ago, came with a waterproof outer liner. It is a bitch to wash because of that, but I never got wet or cold where ever I went camping....
    You can add a waterproof outerbag to any down bag and stay dry and warmer too btw. Exped and Marmot make bags with a waterproof outer liner but bring $$$. Mine is no longer made..:cry

The one thing to do, regardless of syn or down, is to buy a bag that is rated colder than you expect to camp in. You are better of opening the thing up than try to stay warm in a bag that won't do.
  5. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Some various pics from Friday's ride. The 4 of us (Allan, Scaauuught, Bill, and me) took on some nasty terrain in the forest. The weather was pretty crappy all day (overcast & occasional rain) but we had a good time! :ricky

Here's Scauuught in deep thought trying to figure out where we're gonna ride...

[​IMG]

This is the type of stuff we rode... here's Allan

[​IMG]

Bill...

[​IMG]

Scauuuuggghhtt just barreling through the mud :lol3

[​IMG]

Here's the slippery bridge that leads to nowhere... somebody took a header on the bridge but we didn't have any pics... so I guess it never happened. :augie

[​IMG]

Nasty, thick, slippery, stick to everything mud! :eek1

[​IMG]

The riding was great even if the conditions sucked.
  6. Hatch

Hatch We're not hitchhiking anymore, we're riding!

Oddometer:
    AGREED, I believe mines rated to -15, and at 20 it feels great, makes it really hard to get out in the mornin, yet it works fine for 80, just lay on top. btw, it is a mummy shape too, that helps by minimizing the volume of air yer body has to keep warm.
  7. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    By Saturday morning, the skies were clear and it turned out to be a beautiful day. The plan was to ride down to Carabelle (all on dirt), get a bite to eat in town, and go a different dirt route back to camp.

Before we took off though, Forrest (:D) had to see how well the KTM nueve-cinquenta would make it (or not) through the standing water in front of the camp... :lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the workout, we took off towards Carabelle...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Break time on a bridge along the route...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The lunch stop at the Fisherman's Wife trailer/restaurant... :lol3 BTW, excellent food! :thumb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the shrimp boat behind the restaurant...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another break time/scenic view of some river in Tate's Hell I believe...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the FF's along for the ride...

[​IMG]

Funny thing happened along the ride back to camp... Forrest was doing about 150mph on his turbocharged KTM 950 down a muddy, whooped out dirt road. Forrest was feelin it and he tried to wheelie his bike (@ 150 mph mind you) through about a 50 yard long (at least 50 yds as I recall) mud hole. He almost made it 'cept for the last foot. That got him, tumbled him at least 10-15 times and flipped his bike several times over. :eek1 (Holy shit, bear with me!) We thought he was done for but the FF sprung right up & brushed it off. Dayum, that's one tough sum bitch! :deal Not much damage to the KTM either for the high rate of speed... :wink:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to more leisurely riding along the Jeep trails with some pigs! :D

Bob...
    [​IMG]

Forrest...
    [​IMG]

Scauuugghhhtt...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More craziness on the Jeep trails...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice day and I'm glad I got to ride with you FF's! :deal
  8. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that looks like a wild ride. I am glad we didn't go with you guys! Kim will see this and say "we should have gone with them!":rofl

If I had a big adventure bike, I would not ride it through that shit! Hats off to you fellers. :clap
  9. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning it was fookin cold! :vardy There was frost everywhere and I froze my ass off in the cheap chinamart tent and sleeping bag. :bluduh I'm going to need to invest in some quality gear for these ADV rallys that take place in the winter. :deal Is was sofaking cold that we left on our ride at about 11am. :eek1 We headed back to the Jeep trails to 'splore some more.

Mug, Inept, Buzz, Rob, Bill, and me took a ride to the Jeep trail of the previous day and quickly found out that one of the bikes (KLR 250) wasn't well equipped (Deathwing on the front) to handle the terrain and some of the fellas had a long ride home so they bailed. This left me and Bill to find out about some more jeep trails. We found quite a few trails in the area and even found a few hill climbs. :clap (Sorry, I forgot to take pics of them).

Nice scenery at River Styx...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On one of the Jeep trails we took, Bill went over a log and the bike shut off and wouldn't start again. :becca We checked it out for a few minutes and decided it was best to tow the bike back to camp. Here's our custom backwoods towing strap... :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tow strap held up well even at 50mph. :evil

Once back at camp, we packed up our stuff and took off down one of the forest roads back home. We didn't get far though. Allan had a tire blow out so we helped him change it and a few miles down the road, Scauuughhhtt ran into some issues...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It ain't over till you're home I guess. :deal

I had a great time! Thanks to Scauuughhht (Camp Director), Buzz (Supply & motorcycle recovery guy), Jody (food dood), Alan (seafood supplier), and all the other FF's who made this a memorable ADV rally. We need to do this again soon!
  10. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now thats some great reporting and photos Eloy! :lol3
    Man, I am sooooooooo glad I didnt go riding with you nuts on the wee. :Note to self,,,,,,,,,,,,next year bring the DR and mix it up with those goofs.
  11. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    I Started A Camping Gear Thread, Called - My 2 Cents On Camping Gear On The Main Sandbox Page Maybe It Will Help. I Will Add More As Time Goes By.
  12. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    Yeapers, saw the camping thread. Great info Kev, I will hang onto that. We froze our arses off in the Tahoe on Sat night. Probably would have been warm had we zipped into separate bags instead of sleeping between them. :lol3
  13. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:lol3

great seeing you again Eloy. Enjoyed talking with Bill too. Good guys

See ya at the next one!! :freaky

MRP
  14. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:

It's a poor musician that blames his instrument..... Unless your playing a skin flute.....then it's six one way, and a half dozen the other...
  15. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    i think in this case you're more than warranted in some finger-pointing at equipment, Shaun. You may as well have had a wagon wheel up front for the good that Deaf Wing was doing you.

Tony acquitted himself well though by giving you the DRZ for the leg back to camp, yeah? :lol3

I'm just glad we two recent clavicle-meisters came through w/o issue. Gave me the friggin' willies being on yr wheel and watching you biff-- just knew i was next... :dic
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Now I need a DRZ....:evil
    Mug, I preciate the help. I was just kinda laying there glad nobody had a camera out. I kept looking for Scott to pop outta the woods and take pics
    Got my new Kenda today....right on time:csm
  17. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is a heavy bastard for serious off-road work. Sometimes I wish I was on a 250 again. For as much highway as the DRZ sees it wouldn't really matter at all. When the going gets rough, a light bike with good knobs is your best friend. :deal
  18. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    c'mon, Jerry-- what part of "too much tool for the job" don't you understand? :lol3
  19. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    who the fuck around here is serious about anything?

DRZ too heavy, XT too small for me to get comfortable on, KLR250 not too much better.... DR350? DR650? Hell, I'm not skeered to buy some chit and turn around and sell it, but I don't wanna make a hobby of it:huh

My KLR650 is going to have to go bye bye to make room for another ride.... the BMW ain't goin' no place, and the XT will be a great spare bike...
  20. Philip Kuntz

Oddometer:
    I totally get that man! But if you plan to trailer the damn thing in, bring the lightest bike possible! It all depends on how far you have to go to get to the riding area and if you are using a trailer to get there. I guess I am too used to riding ONF, where a DR 650 is very much pushing the envelope and a DRZ is one heavy ass dirt bike. :D