December Baja Trip (LA Weekend Riders, and anyone else)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by notmybikemodelname, Sep 21, 2008.

1. bouncing billy

bouncing billy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    joel will be happy to hear some said he goes fast:lol3
  2. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Eggroll

Eggroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'll be back today, they are north of Santo Thomas at the most only take them three hours including lunch to cross the border to San Diego.

Eggroll
  4. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    no spot messages since 11:15???:ear
  5. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Lookin forward to this report! :thumb
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm back. That was a great trip and a great bunch of guys. The others should be checking in at some point. I left them in Santo Thomas This morning at 1100 as they were headed for lunch before the border. I skipped lunch in order to get home in time for the charger game party.

Eggroll, I see that you made it home. Any trouble? Thanks for your chair that worked great and was easy to pack.

steve
  8. reBARman

reBARman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :ear :clap
  9. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Bitburger

Bitburger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back Steve. Now let's see some pictures. Did you give that new KTM any inaugural scratches or dents?
  11. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D :D I dropped it once in a sandy wash. A soft landing so no dents. It fell over one other time as I left it apparently in a soft spot. Pics to follow.

I still have been unable to lift that pig by myself in the sand. I just cannot get a good enough dig in with my heels in the soil. This may put a crimp on my riding by myself. Good to hear from you :huh
    [​IMG]

12. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK. One more teaser photo till Joel gets the report going.

Eggroll's tent blowin over in the high winds the first night. A handfull of us camped on an exposed knoll. OK before the wind started to blow but then..

[​IMG]
  13. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, absolutely the last one...

Camping on a bluff the second night.

[​IMG]
  14. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint.

Oddometer:
    home:wink:
  15. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    welcome back.......

expecting a full report
  16. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    We saved the drama for the trip home on the highway. DannyG had a slow leak in his front tire which resulted in him "rolling" his tire while rounding a corner just out of San Vicente. He went down and slid across the tarmac and off the road. Very, very lucky that there was not traffic since he slid across a lane. Also lucky there was a shoulder "run out" instead of a cliff. John saw the whole thing and tended to him. Notmybikemodelname and I, not seeing them at Santo Tomas rode back the 25 miles to find them on the side of the road putting Danny's bike back together. I stayed with them while Notmybikemodelname road back to Santo Tomas to tell the guys not to all come back and in fact to meet us in Ensenada.

So John, Danny and I go real slow up the coast to Ensenada but can't find the rest of the crew since I can't remember where Notmybikemodelname told me to meet them so we grab some fish tacos at the fish market. After eating we decide to head home but before we do we give it one more pass through town and luckily find the rest of the guys. After arguing about whether to go through Tecate of TJ, we settle on TJ and haul ass for the border.

Next bit of drama. As we are in TJ making that tricky little turn just before the 360 degree loop around, Notmybikemodlename does a last minute lane change over the metal "half a basketball" size metal road markers. He hops it but I don't see it for what it is and slide sideways with one tire on either side for however long it takes for a feces brick to be formed in my pants. I somehow recover without highsiding but the Husky behind me goes down. Remember it's dark now and lots of traffic. The rest of the guys grab him and his bike and get him off the highway. Scary. We regroup, split lanes for the border and cross. I left right away as my bike was missing horribly (chupacabre electrical short of some kind) and I did not want to shut it off or mess around.

The rest of the guys, being mostly from LA, should report in later. There will be many great photos to follow.

Thanks everyone. Good nite.

Edit: DannyG was scraped up but OK. Husky Guy (Rich) seemed OK but we were too busy getting out of there to check him out. Think he is scratch free though.

Edit, Edit: Just noticedDannyG's post. Hope I didn't steal his thunder. Same for TwoWheelsGood (Rich)
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    475 miles on the bike!

dropped rruuger and his bike at his place about 45 minutes ago. home at last and lots of stories to tell and pics to share.

sorry @ dannyG and eggroll misfortunes, but glad they are ok. 2wheelsgood fall was nothing, other than sparking metals. when he crashed, tony and i were behind him and i have to slam my brakes on and waited for the car behind me to put an end to my riding forever.

sat, i crashed high sided, bb you're not the only superman, i learned how to fly 15 feet in the air, not once but twice - head first landing and glad i was wearing my "free leatt neck brace". the friday ride was brutal, sat was fun, and sun was walk on the park.

great meeting and riding with dirtdiver and gregwannabe, and from oc..roundstock.

lots of lessons both good and bad were learned from this ride, but glad we all came home alive and unharmed. no money was taken, your fear of Mexico is a FARCE!

lastly, thanks rob for putting together this ride....:clap

also, thanks to all, one adventure ride to remember for a long time...:wave

i appreciate sito, nw, ratman, and spafxer for monitoring our progress and sharing with everyone who is tuning in.
  18. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes! I am glad everyone is OK. steve

19. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Got home to a 3 year old who had been barfing most of the day and had a 103.5 degree temp, and a near run to the hospital. Kid OK:clap

It was an excellent ride with no more drama or mishaps than one would expect from a group this size and so many different skill levels. Everyone hung in there and we made it "almost" to where we planned before heading home. Gotta take the kid to the Dr's now, but will post more later. Unfortunately my helmet-cam refused to work, so I'm without video footage:cry
  20. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    Got home last night, gear and bike are still in the truck. I haven't had a chance to check the bike or my gear after the crash but I'm good.

Thanks to everyone, great time riding, and I don't have jack for pics. Let's see them Joel!