Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. scrapy

scrapy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, title says it all. Im in for a new bike. I live in Switzerland and spend a lot of my riding in twisty and fast alpine roads. However i want to start doing longer trips with as much "light" offroad as possible. For me to find gravel and mud i need to travel long distances, so im looking for an adventure bike capable of covering lots of highway miles, having enough punch on the twisty fast roads and being offroad frindly. Aslo, knowing myself, i will be dropping the bike a lot and will need to be able to pick it up again (by myself!!!).

So all the big and powerful bikes are too heavy for me. The Africa Twin seems to tick all the boxes (still a bit heavy), however the upcoming KTM 790 adventure looks very promising. I am curious what you guys think. Thank you.
  2. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, you're posting in the KTM forum asking about a comparison to a bike that very few people have ridden yet...

So of course you should wait for the 790! :beer
  3. Hottentotti

Hottentotti Totti

Oddometer:
    If you want a reliable bike, buy the Honda. If you want a bike with a suspension get the KTM. But in that case be prepared for interesting electrical (and mechanical) problems and lots of bad bolt threads.
    Cuchulainn, Peltsi and scrapy like this.
  4. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Get the 790R. Comparing that with an Africa Twin is like comparing an Australian Cattle Dog with a Peek-a-Poo.
    Ferd, Tenbikesail, ThirdUncle and 4 others like this.
  5. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find a well sorted 9x0.
    charlie264, JdFan, Dewi and 6 others like this.
  6. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That what I did. Sick of waiting and price. IMG_2667.JPG
    JdFan, 11motos, bananu7 and 10 others like this.
  7. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If bikes were people:
    For breakfast, Honda has a fruit bowl, two eggs on the side (over easy, please) and a yogurt parfait. My 990 eats crack cocaine sprinkled on Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal with three espressos.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda. The Africa Twin is an easy-going, friendly ADV that will be very reliable, predictable and get you there (eventually). The KTM will be the awe-inspiring, tire eating, barely domesticated beast that will exhilarate and frighten you at the same time.
  8. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're asking this question in this forum then you already know the answer you want to hear.
  9. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I have a couple friends who own the AT (one a former racer) and both of them love the bike and don't seem to have any issues keeping up with the big KTMs on or off the road. If you want to buy a bike soon, get the AT and be happy. If you don't mind waiting a year, wait for the 790 to be released and vetted.
  10. enduro16

enduro16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seriously LMAO
    scrapy and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  11. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speed on a bike is always like 85% of the time the rider. The feeling a bike gives you while riding it and what one person likes compare to someone else can be 100% different. I race a 2 stroke and I know I could be faster on 4 stroke but just not as fun. I would give up raw speed for that fun feeling or grin while your are riding. Look at all the Harley guys out there they must like something about them bikes to me its a mystery after riding a couple. As I get older I seem to like the simpler bikes that are rough around the edges more. But would have liked to try a 790 or t7 before my purchase but too long of a wait and unproven bikes. Yamaha going to miss the boat on t7 the way they are going being released fall of 2020 in Canada. That is the one I really wanted when first prototype was released like 2 years ago.
    scrapy and Broken&Lost like this.
  12. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :csm
    weldpro, Salzig, scrapy and 2 others like this.
  13. Broken&Lost

Broken&Lost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t buy either on what you’ve read. Arrange long test rides on both and see which gets your heart pumping whilst ticking all your needs.
    Eatmore Mudd and scrapy like this.
  14. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure why you are picking the Africa Twin over the other BIG bikes. The AT weighs as much the 1190 Ktm for instance. My friend had one and we weighed both on scales the same day and they within a couple of pounds of each other. When I was shopping for a new Adv bike I rode all the big bikes and settled on the 1090R over all the rest. I actually hated the Africa Twin after a test ride,wanted to like it but didn't . I would try them all and the decide .
    young1 and scrapy like this.
  15. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend with a 1090r I rode some last summer and did not like how it handled off road but was good on road. Had a wide feel to it and a person sat in the bike low front end very heavy feel. Smooth and refined. My buddy loves his 1090r had a nice street bike feel is best way to describe it. Just my take on bike and could change later on with more time on these adventure bikes.
    young1 and scrapy like this.
  16. scrapy

scrapy n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replys. I know it was a silly question in the first place, its just feels not good without a bike at all the moment. Usually i make up my mind in an instance when i want something but this time im just lost.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas!
    Crazygreek and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  17. HighRiver

HighRiver taking the checkered

Oddometer:
    go to the gym and work on dead lifting 500lbs. ;)
  18. cmfireman

cmfireman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to test ride a DCT AT this year. It seemed like a fine bike but it just wasn't fun, even when I looked down and was doing 85 when it felt like 60mph. I have a Vstrom with no character now, I'm ready for something that may occasionally try to kill me. I'm holding out for a 790, and may end up with a 990 depending on how the 790 feels.
    nk14zp likes this.
  19. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    KTM 790s are like aliens from outer space...Everyone wants to believe they exist, but todate, no one has actually seen or ridden one.
    Falco888 and sonic reducer like this.
  20. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beam me up!
    x32792 likes this.