Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out Joe Pichler on Fb. He has more than 3500 km on his 790 adv R touring somewhere in Africa..
  2. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Mulder and Scully to report soon.
  3. deltadude

deltadude n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and test rode both the 1090 and the AT manual clutch. I went in thinking to buy the 1090r but ended up buying the AT due to the seating position. On the KTM my knees were bent back and became very uncomfortable but the AT my legs seemed to be in a more neutral comfortable position. Been happy with my purchase so far. The bike has enough weight to handle the road well but it handles and feels much lighter then it is while riding off road, just don't stop or get off balance, it gets heavy really fast.
    Deliverator likes this.
  4. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldnt buy either and I definitely wouldnt buy the first model run of the 790. Id wait till at least the 2nd or even 3rd model in before Id be laying down my hard earned on one. History will be your teacher here, cos the first 950's had problems that needed sorting, so did the 690's, so did the 1190's & ive got no doubt so will the 790's as well.

Alternatively, a great option would be a late model 990 'R' model. You'll have to go a long long way to find a better adventure worthy mount than those things. They rock.
    Dewi and scrapy like this.
  5. Pedec

Pedec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That what I did like I posted before IMG_2667.JPG 2013 990 4000km. Already spent $500.00 on upgrades that are proven to work well on proven bike. Was going to get a T7 or 790.
    Allrpm, Dewi, sonic reducer and 5 others like this.
  6. fastcash

fastcash n00b

Oddometer:
    scrapy
    I own an Africa Twin (DTC) with Olhins suspension on both ends. Bike was bought for 2 up riding with wife. On road, fire roads, 2 track and limited
    single track, with the DTC you can't stall the bike in the tight stuff, thats big. Its a very refined bike and I enjoy the suspension every day on and off road.
    Its only problem for me is the weight if I had to pick it up ( 10,000 miles-no drops).
    Having said that, I have a deposit on the 790R which I'll test ride before deciding whether to trade for it or keep the Honda.
    Btm. line is, ride them both first.
    Migolito, scrapy and roookie1 like this.
  7. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want a bike you can pick up by yourself then go for the 790. I have been riding a KTM 1290 SAR for a year and a half and love the bike, but it is heavy, and I think the Africa Twin is even heavier. So yeah, I am switching from the 1290 to the 790 because of the weight. I really like my 1290, but a few weeks ago I stupidly rode up a dirt road and got into snow and ended up dumping the bike for the first time and it took all the strength I had to pick it up. So any doubts I had about trading the 1290 for a 790 disappeared after that!
    scrapy likes this.
  8. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy the one you like to look at the most if hp and torque are not over riding considerations. And I'm not kidding.

I took an African twin on a test drive. Bland engine but nice. The dtc model had me in third gear by the time I cleared a left turn through a wide intersection. I was not impressed. The manual version was much better but easy to wring it out. I went with a 1290 because it was way more of a handful and the cockpit appealed more to me.

my biggest beef with ktm is plastic plastic and more plastic. Even the buttons seem cheap and flimsy but my driver was hp and I wanted something that was not simply an easy to handle "point and shoot" kinda ride.

And yes fast cash is right ride them both if you can. The Honda is "old" now and you can probably get a good used one. Get one that's dirty and swing low on the price. If you don't like it after you really get used to it, detail the heck out of it and sell. Cost of ownership will be near nil.
    scrapy likes this.
  9. bananapie

bananapie n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm also trying to make this decision.

I can buy a leftover new Africa Twin for around 10,500-11,000 minus taxes but including all fees. Used, I can get one for about 10k with under 2k miles with lots of expensive addons.

The KTM 790 Adventure R will be closer to 16,000 before tax out the door.

Is the 790 Adventure R worth 6K more?

-87!!!!! lbs lighter!!!!
    -Cruise control!
    -lower COG with fuel saddles

There are other things that could be argued for it, but are harder to tell for me, like having better suspension, being as good as the AT on the highway, less buffeting for tall riders...

I dunno. Maybe it is worth the 6k. I love my DRZ and it converted me from big V twin cruisers, but I want something I can actually take 700 miles on the interstate to my riding destination. The DRZ just doesn't do that...but honestly its CLOSE for me to work...I wonder if the 690 would be just enough bump in comfort to work for me without breaking the bank.

6K though is a big chunk of change.
  10. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK

This says it all - How much was the Olhins? And after spending all that, it's still not right, because it's too heavy.
  11. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    comparing AT DCT with 790R? :imaposer
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  12. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are all too heavy!!! It also depends on what "dirt" means to you. If its dry logging roads and gravel to get there, don't fret too much over choice ABC, and put the tiger in your list. That motor is so revs so fast and sounds fantastic.

Imo these aren't dirt bikes for all but a handful of riders. If your more into to mud and single track, lighter is best but you'll pay for that choice every time your on the freeway.

A good question to answer how capable/ willing are your riding partners on 450 lbs plus bikes?

If your planning solo alot lighter is better and safer and perhaps worth the added discomfort to get to the hard less traveled roads
  13. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    I've had both the AT and a really well sorted 990. The AT is hands down better on the street. The 990 is hands down better in the dirt. Used ATs are starting to show up around here int he 8-9k range.. if you're going to be doing mostly pavement with light dirt here and there, the AT would be my choice.

I havent ridden a 790 yet so I cant comment on that.
  14. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I re read this post again. Sounds like you need sporty first for twisties and some loose top roads only sometimes. Is that true?

If so I'd be inclined to put triumph tiger on the list Or even the 1090. Are you set on new?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  15. deltadude

deltadude n00b

Oddometer:
    My buddy who I ride with has a tiger and if your wanting to upgrade your accessories the Triumphs don't have as many options available as the other bikes. He's had to build a lot of his parts.
  16. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend has one too, but he's set it up reasonably with aftermarket stuff. There must be plenty of options?
  17. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The AT is a freakin excellent road and fast gravel/2track ride. Comfortable, smooth, well made, good handling. Some things I don’t like about it are the super top heavy feeling at low speed compared to my 990, buffeting with the stock windshield, and horribly complicated design of fairing construction and air filter access. I’d say a well set up later 990 would be my choice over the AT. The AT is going to have the edge for fuel economy, comfort, reliability and more. Being a Honda it will probably age well.

Once 790s start to hit the used market I’m sure they will be the bike to have over either the AT or 990. The aftermarket will work the kinks out since ktm likes to use their buyers as R&D.
    nk14zp likes this.
  18. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The exhilaration is why I ride. In hopes the 790 is the next 9x0.
  19. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no it's not excellent road bike, for that would have to have 17 or at least 19" front tubeless tyres and a bit more horses :)
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  20. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    And the white ones are the fastest!
    Uetliberg likes this.