Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'KTM 790/890' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    Jap bikes are the ones built with butter bolts , I’ve never had issues with KTM hardware , I will admit their factory street lighting pretty much sucks but is easily replaceable with much better . I’ve had all the electrical failures I will tolerate on Honda’s that and every rubber hose rotting away at 5 years life . No more hondas in my life .
    Venturer and Rodooo like this.
  2. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are all great. Its us that's the problem
    Don't by new, ride it, get used to it, let the love wane, wish it had x y z, grass is greener over there, sell buy another repeat.

Don't invest a crap load on bling and other stuff that has little value to next buyer. So your not too deeply invested and stuck with it.

This only applies to us bike sluts that can service our rides properly and not have to put other men on the job to keep our girls wheels spinning.

There are others that are like swans and mate for life... that's not me, unfortunately. I like change.

Play the game right and cost of ownership over several bikes may be.less than the steep depreciation of new. After a while you'll understand what's important to you.
    Hico likes this.
  3. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't ride dirt at all, but have owned a LOT of road bikes, and ridden many more, in recent times I have owned 1090 / 1190 / 1290 Adventure S models, before that an S10 and a 1200GS, having moved from large sports tourers to adv bikes - and power (or at least grunt) is a big factor, the GS and S10 were OK over 95% of the time, but now and again I wished I had a little more, maybe when going for a quick pass (particularly two-up) or when with mates on sports-bikes.

The 1190 (first KTM I bought) put the FUN back into riding a bike, the GS and Yamaha were good, but on the 1190 test ride my grin opened up like it used to when nailing large sports bikes. The 1090 came along as a second bike, and had all the speed I could ever need, but not necessarily what I would ever want, the 1290 is pretty much on par with the 1190, more refined and civilised but the grin factor is about the same for me.

I almost bought a 1290R due to a deal too good to pass up coming my way, but then an S model came along at a similar price, but I was going to fit the 19 / 17 combo to it as I could not envisage myself wanting that London Eye sized front hoop and skinny tyre for my road use....

...which brings me back to the AT as a road bike, less power than my old Air Cooled GS, about the same weight as my old S10 and a huge front hoop - so underpowerd, overweight and with off-road wheels - not the best formula for a road bike in my book, maybe better for long distance than my DRZ400S, but I would take any of my KTM's past or present over the AT.
    JohnnyWaffles and Venturer like this.
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Test ride, test ride, test ride.

I've test ridden the Honda AT in the past and I found more that I didn't like than I did like about it. Not a bad bike, just didnt tick nearly enough of the right boxes for me.

The 790 I can only speculate on as one hasn't arrived here yet to play with.

Regardless, your opinion is the only one that's important when you write the check so... test ride, test ride, test ride. ;)
  5. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI,
    AT 45mm Forks are weak. Flex excessively. In addition anodize inside upper tubes wears out in a few hours. So put that into the budget when looking at the competition.
    BronNowo likes this.
  6. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tested an African twin...both versions and they were way too bland on the power side...infact they both sucked!!!!. However, that being said, if your are testing a bike with ride by wire, traction control and ride modes it does not matter how powerful the motor is, because the computer is controlling it...not you!!!

My lesson from that ride was, those things need to be disabled and you need to be in the most aggressive ride mode if you are keen on seeing how powerful the engine feels. I concluded later, that perhaps I had not given the AT a fair test as I opened up the throttle and was only greeted with lack luster performance (aka. limited wheel slip).
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  7. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road? KTM. Offroad? Still KTM.
    zoo likes this.
  8. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the local KTM dealer and was told the "dry weight" figures given by KTM for the 790 were suspect. Dry weight can mean many things besides no fuel-no oil, no coolant, no brake fluid. IT WOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL FOR AN OWNER TO POST OBSERVED WET WEIGHT. The manual AT's 515 lbs. wet may be a lot closer than you think. Your price comparison seems off, at least in the States. $13,500 for the 790R, $12,500 for the 790S. $13,500 the AT, and $15,100 for the AT Adventure.
  9. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched a 790 get weighed at 467# wet at a demo. No idea how much fuel.

1) It's all about how a bike carries it's weight, esp fuel (see: 950/990).

2) A lot more to a bike than it's weight.
    Deliverator and DesertSurfer like this.
  10. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not when you need to pick it up a few times, and I'm not talking off of tar
  11. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I dropped my KTM 950 off a bank on a gradual downhill slope about 7 feet from the trail. All my buddies were ahead of me and didn't see me. It was late in the afternoon before going dark.

I landed on top of the bike so not hurt except my pride.

I waited to hear if my buddies were coming back, but no luck. Fuel was weeping from the tank facing down hill.

At first I thought I was in deep trouble.

It ended up a fairly easy recovery.

First I grabbed the rear wheel and walked it down spinning the bike on the handle bar. Slow pulling in short tugs. Since the bank was at an angle the gravity helped do the work. I was only spinning the bike, not loosing ground getting deeper in the canyon.

Next I grabbed the front wheel and walked it up hill in short tugs from my knees, using my core and not arms for better strength. I also moved to the back wheel and pulled it uphill in short tugs. Back and forth from front end to back end. Slowly inching the bike uphill 6 inches at a time to near the crest.

Then I stood the bike upright from the uphill side lifting by the bars getting it onto it's wheels... And rolled it along the side bank heading down hill and over the crest onto the trail.

I was surprised I was able to "slide" the bike up hill by myself but with the right leverage you'd be amazed.
  12. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +5 points for physical fitness level

Another reason I don't sweat the 15-20# bike weight arguments.
  13. Chalk

Chalk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF I was looking to change me SE I’d buy the new 700 Tenere, no brainer in my opinion.
    My local dealer told me DONT buy any KTM in the first production year, let the factory de- bug it first.
  14. Broken&Lost

Broken&Lost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that applies to all makes as there is always teething problems
  15. Pampera

Pampera Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd look at the new Yam, because they've kept the electronic nonsense to a minimum.

Less is more.
  16. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what about connecting tracks...
  17. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like a full tank.
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    You mean let the buyers beta test it?

I have a first year KTM.....it had a couple teething problems, but nothing major I don't hesitate to ride in anywhere, any distance. Its never had a running issue....hell its a 2014 and it still has its origninal battery @40,000 miles.
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  19. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    . I had a first year 1290 GT Ktm no issues
    I
  20. bikedad

bikedad Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That sounded easy!!!
    Make that a 1290 then full of fuel.. do it once more and most of us 50 plus mortals would be tired. Guys got to be careful if riding alone. Slipped disk in the Bush would not be a fun party to be at.