Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think this is not an issue anymore...But even if it is, you can always swap the forks with a pair of 1x90 used one. AT is a quite good motorcycle, although, I think that the king of vfm right now is the new Vstrom
  2. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Most Adv bikes are ridden 90% on the street 10% off road .if you want to ride mostly off-road you get a more dirt oriented bike like a 690 Ktm .
    All the big Adv bikes are way too heavy and big for serious off roading , light weight rules off-road that’s why a bike like the 790 and the new Yamaha 700 will sell well because they are a lot lighter than the current crop of Adv bikes.
    JohnnyWaffles and Venturer like this.
  3. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM 690R definitely yes but 790R and T700 are not significantly lighter unfortunately.
    bobone likes this.
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say 50 to 60 pounds lighter than the current crop of big Adv bikes is substantial
    Venturer likes this.
  5. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think, what he tries to say is, that despite these bikes are significantly lighter, still they are not light enough for serious off road riding...
    Venturer likes this.
  6. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree but, but if you want a Adv bike that is road capable and comfortable with good range these bikes are really as light as you can make them.
    windblown101 likes this.
  7. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful country .
  8. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    To me the AT and the 790 are both good looking and I am surprised by this comment. Whenever I mention the 790 to one of my street bike buddies, ticking off all of the mechanical pluses in comparison to my current ride, the first thing they say to me after looking at it on line is what a cool-looking bike it is. I mean, to the point of absurdity it seems to me.

The new Tenere seems to be in the same category as the 790 and AT, but are we transgressing by bringing it up in this thread? Anyway, I found a wet weight figure of 452 lbs. but the tank looks high, 72 hp. It's supposed to be in the USA toward the end of the year.
  9. jnberr0

jnberr0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the 700 Tenere was showing up stateside mid to late NEXT year, no?
  10. Deliverator

Deliverator not a replicant

Oddometer:
    Hi scrapy. I was very much invested in the AT and in one of my earlier posts I outline my impressions and concerns after renting one for a day's ride. Here's something I can add to that that might be useful to you:

At the end of my first day of riding on a manual AT I was on a two-lane coastal road feeling pretty beat and headed back. I was surprised to find the road closed and the detour seemingly directly over a coast range "peak" of 784 m. I am maybe less than an intermediate level rider and no road racer. This was not an alpine road, but it was nothing but switchbacks heading up a steep grade. A series sharp turns back and forth, more than 20 I would guess, throwing the bike around one turn and then it seemed immediately the other way for what seemed like 20 minutes. I was not setting the speed record, but no one was stuck behind me either. The AT was confidence inspiring at all times and I would have no concerns with its performance on mountain roads at higher elevations as they are known to me in the USA, however I was solo without luggage at the time.
  11. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Latest on T7 as of last week is 2021 in US
    jnberr0 likes this.
  12. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?????

Two local dealers (in PA and MD) show 790 Adventures (both standard and R) in stock right now. I plan on seeing them in person on Friday.
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m certain he meant t7.
  14. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Three hours sleep. I'll edit that post!
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing that interests me is how these bikes are 2 up on and off road vs the 990. The 690 is definitely out. How much room is there for the passenger?
    jdub likes this.
  16. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both the AT and 790R. Night and day differences as suspected by most previous posts. AT is more comfortable on road with better wind protection. 790 funner with way better power to weight ratio determined even before I am out of break in mode. 790 feels lighter and definitely a rawer dirt bike feel that is what I personally want. I got it mainly because I could not pick up the AT when falling over on a down hill slant. ATs are way cheaper if you don't mind a new bike a few years old.