Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in Oregon. There are no 790 Adventure R’s at the moment, but can put a deposit down and get on a waiting list. Or, I can ride home a 2017 AT (new) for 8999.+. Upgrade the suspension,tires,and add all kinds of farkles before nearing th price of the 790.. As much as I want to be a hardcore KTM dude, thinking a wise old dog on an AT may be the way to go.. most of my riding is on road, paved and gravel.. some dirt road, but not single track..
  2. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Killer deal on the Honda. Does make you wonder why they still have new '17s on the floor during this adv boom, though.

If you don't really care about the weight difference, it's hard to beat the Honda. For me, the weight was the deal maker.
  3. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been wondering about that as well. I do know they were very stubborn about lowering the price much at first. I shopped for them a year+ ago and at that point the ‘17 was only 1K less than the new ‘18s.

I hear you on the weight difference. My KTM dealer said if you put money down today you’ll likely end up with a ‘20 model 790, which will be more expensive by an unknown amount.. So as I start to add it up, it becomes hard to justify. My current thought is buy the AT, ride it a few years, then sell it and see where things are at with the 790 & T700
  4. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy either then, why suffer with 21" front wheel on road??? makes no sense to me, some gravel roads can do any bike, even sport one.
  5. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some of the mountain roads here can get pretty gnarly between deep ruts, large boulders and heading through occasional snow. I’m coming from a KLR and I learned to appreciate my 21 front wheel
    shinyribs likes this.
  6. old Roman

old Roman weekend adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on to this thread. My opinion regarding original question (Africa or 790) would be, go for KTM 790. The only and all important reason is the weight difference. I did some ADV riding this year, and was able to check first hand how very important is to keep the bike light. There was ATAS DCT in the group, and everything was revolving around this heavy bike. Picking it up after numerous crashes, guiding it by person walking on both sides, riding it instead of the owner who was too exhausted. Yes DCT is nothing less than great, but the importance of low weight while off roading is absolute. Yes, AT is beautiful, but 790 is way more usefull for ADV riding. Just my opinion.
    bobone likes this.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sounds an awful lot like a rider problem and not a motorcycle problem.

At the end of the day, get the bike that makes you WANT to ride it. Life is just too damn short. Bonus points if it is, in fact, orange though. This is the ktm section.
    shooter_t1, bobnoxious67 and scfrank like this.
  8. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    On road, paved and gravel, not single track? Don’t need the 790.

That said, I just traded a 1200GS for a 790. Mostly ride gravel dirt roads. I appreciate the lightness. Picking up the 790 less often.
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:
    He said on road, not single track. Why picking it up all the time?
  10. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    At no point in any of my riding have I ever felt like I was "suffering" with a 21" front :dunno
  11. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    stop taking pain killers, and ride some sport bikes to feel the difference.
  12. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    yeah, once he said on road and then said roads that only KLR can ride on :jack
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have suffered at the hands of your 18 though. Does that count?
    lithodave and bobnoxious67 like this.
  14. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    You’re really riding on public roads at speeds where a 21 front is making you “suffer”?

OK then :thumb
  15. old Roman

old Roman weekend adventurer

Oddometer:
    My mistake - reading too fast. ATAS did excellent on packed gravel roads. The crashes I was reffering about all happened exclusively on a long tricky very steep section of big loose gravel. We were unable to go back and everybody had a hard time there, but that poor Africa the most. Such things sometimes happen unplanned, and that's why I vote for lower weight 790 adventure R.
    scfrank likes this.
  16. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'm just wrapping up a 2000 mile loop from SCal to upstate Oregon and back on my fully loaded 790 r. I did mostly slab and a little dirt for wild camping. In the future I'll be doing significantly more dirt where the attributes of the 790 will shine. The AT just didnt feel right when I sat on it. It felt like a 530 pound beast with a very long front end. Not something I'd like to do dirt roads on. By all accounts its a fantastic bike. It just didn't fit me...the ergos. I was waiting for the t7 and now that the specs are coming out on it, I'm glad I didn't wait. Now to the 790. It fit me from the first sit...ergos. it feels like a smaller bike than the base of 420 pounds. It rides like a street bike on the slab and a dirt bike when I stand in the dirt. I can set the cruise control at 80 mph and drone the miles away. The steering is precise and I can easily steer with my feet on the dirt. The 21" front is absolutely nuetral on the slabs while cornering( old school thought says that a 21" tire doesn't corner well on slab, however, that's absolutely incorrect). This is the first in the " next generation" in adv bike. The various modes greatly assist in the dirt and make dirt riding a fully loaded adv bike in dirt bike territory doable. Do not get a bike because its priced low. If you are going to actually do some adv riding, get the bike that fits you when you sit on it. Then farkel the hell out of it and ride.
    scfrank, PapaToe and BronNowo like this.
  17. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You sound like a similar type of adv rider. Curious about the Ergos.. I'm 6'0" #190, 32" inseam The AT felt very comfortable to sit on. I've only been able to sit on the Standard 790, which felt light in comparison, but almost too low for me.
    K.T.Emsdorf likes this.
  18. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Yes. I understand. I don’t ride a lot of tough stuff, but when I do I’m glad I have the 790. Especially the TC.
  19. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I’m very similar in size. You can move bars or lower pegs to change egos. I added 1/2 inch bar risers and it fits fine now. I have the S 2 piece seat and want a high ergo 1 piece seat. It is a smaller bike and you get used to it. I’m liking it. Much easier to handle.
    PapaToe likes this.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' 205 and 31" inseam. I just added a custom seat for long range comfort. However, even before that the bike was a fit.
    PapaToe likes this.