Decision time.... Africa twin vs KTM 790 adventure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by scrapy, Dec 17, 2018.

1. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What seat?
  2. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    had the same impressions when I tested them, 790R was very easy bike to handle and could be even used as beginner bike. Africa Twin on the other hand felt huge and although ergos for me were good (I'm 6'1) I would not recommend AT to new rider. That being said I choose AT engine over 790R engine any time of the day, and night. I need torque for adventure riding and 790R is lacking in that department.
    scfrank likes this.
  3. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Mr Ed's Moto
    scfrank likes this.
  4. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I gotta ask, what exactly is adventure riding for ya? Inmy world adventure riding is a lot of off road , creek crossing, climbs, long fuel range needed off road adventure, torque is important but capability, weight, handling, suspension is far more important, so the 790 wins hands down. A ktm 1090 has more torque than the AT, so why did you not buy one of em for more torque, better adventure riding?
    If your needing torque for your riding conditions im assuming its off road, so the ktm is the machine by a long shot?
    I had the AT, now the 790, not even a comparison if you head off road. AT better street bike, if that's adventure riding.
  5. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly agree with your definition of adventure riding but I'd add lot's of single tracks, open desert, sand etc. If I were to choose out of these three 1090R would win
    no question asked. I don't agree though with your opinion on AT off-road, but I am used to ride heavy bikes off-road. Granted AT has worse suspension then KTM but frame geometry suits me better and of course the engine which was created for adventure riding from ground up, not like 790 which is street engine detuned for off-road. Try ride slow, technical single track at 2k rpm on 790R, bike can't do it without heavy clutch abuse.... And no, AT is not a street bike in any sense while 790R partially is.
    Anyway for serious off-road all of these bikes are way too heavy so whatever you choose doesn't matter really.
  6. Ferd

Ferd been around

Oddometer:
  7. zoo

zoo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gotta ask, How is the ktm 790 a partial street bike? Because of the engine coming from another successful model? What components, metal, parts are street designed and how do these parts know your on or off road? Honda comes stock with street tires, If they are building this as such an off road bike then where is the skid plate, dirt tires, bigger pegs, bigger fuel range, un-defective front suspension. Remember I had one, now the ktm. Its faster, lighter, manageable, easier to lift, than the at. KTM 790 comes with all better off road capable equipment but the engine was left as a street engine? Just gotta ask.
    mickd likes this.
  8. WOLF1090R

WOLF1090R n00b

Oddometer:
    I take one look at the AT and a lot of others and can't imagine what the bike would look like after being dropped and crashed as many times as you do when riding off road. The metal tanks, shinny wheels and little emblems and plastic all over would be destroyed in a month. My 1090 only has scratches on the engine guards, hand guards and exhaust shield after going down in gravel, rocks and boulders. Can't imagine what the AT would look like. I would have bought a 790 if one was available when I got the 1090 but not an AT if you actually plan on riding it off road. See thread below!

https://advrider.com/f/threads/only-had-her-1-week.1398534/
  9. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    bronnowo
    "Try ride slow, technical single track at 2k rpm on 790R, bike can't do it without heavy clutch abuse"....:fpalm:fpalm
  10. yumdumpster

yumdumpster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be honest I wouldn't really want to do that on a Africa Twin either. I dont think that is the type of terrain that any "Adventure" bike is going to excel in. The tighter and slower the terrain, the more you are going to feel all of that extra weight.

I am going to take the bike and some advanced double track and maybe a bit of single track to see how the bike does compared to my loaded down XR 650 R though. The XR with bags loaded up and full of fuel wasn't exactly dainty.
    CaseyB likes this.
  11. yumdumpster

yumdumpster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They do OK if you have Crash Bars on them, the Adventure Sports package comes with crash bars and better suspension and IMO is pretty much required if you want to use the bike off road consistently. The bike in that thread was a base model with pretty much nothing to protect the cosmetic bits on it.

My main issue with the AT is that they are fucking gigantic I am 6'1" and 200lbs and when I test rode one I was surprised by just how damn big the bike felt, it felt very much more like a triumph tiger to me, basically geared way more toward the on road than the off road side of things.
    Venturer likes this.
  12. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're selecting a twin-cylinder ADV bike based on which one works best at 5 mph on tight single track, you might be looking at the wrong class of bike.
  13. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When the new Africa Twin was first announced I was interested, but once I saw the weight I said no way. I mean even the 790r is not really a dirt bike, but over performs off road because of great design. So yeah I went with the 790r and never looked back, but yeah slow single track is not what any stock adventure bike is designed for.
  14. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While true that's not where any ADV bike shines (largely due to mass) it's still a worthy consideration for those that like to explore unknown tracks far from home.

Love my 790R yet I imagine the T7 with its narrower profile, reportedly smoother power on the bottom end and lighter weight front end will stack up quite well to the 790 in slow first gear pick you way thru type technical terrain. It's when the pace picks up in rough terrain that the 790 crushes them all. The cushy stock suspensions on the AT and T7 get completely overwhelmed at pace when the going gets rough. ;)
    Velociraptor likes this.
  15. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    ...however, neither the T7 nor the AT have the low-slung fuel tanks which really helps the bike feel manageable. Makes a big difference. The KTM feels so, so much less top heavy than the AT. Don't know about the T7, but you better believe I'm going to ride one and find out.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have the puke gold wheels been covered? :fpalm
  17. turbofan790

Oddometer:
    It's funny, but I think the AT and T7 are both much better looking than the 790. Oh well.
    lithodave likes this.
  18. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m calling that comment as bullshit too... Really?
    If you can’t, your doin it all wrong... better get a road bike ;)
    mickd likes this.
  19. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    If you’re not all over the clutch and rear brake when riding that slow, you’re doing it wrong.

Who even rides that slow...on a 790...on “technical single track”? :fpalm
  20. mickd

mickd crash test dummie

Oddometer:
    bronnowo does :jack