Deep water crossing prep?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TBob, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Hey, if you are afraid to go through water, then don’t do it.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Mine has gone through fine so far but I could get stuck and wreck the motor. :deal <o:p></o:p>
  2. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    One of my rules is to stop the bike and then walk the water. This might give the motor time to cool enough to avoid the worst of the unbalanced cooling?

Do you have a pic of your snorkel?

When I pulled my bike apart to fix the known problem of the broken-toothed flywheel, I also changed the clutch, cleaned everything inside the clutch assembly, and lubed everything I could fine. I changed the final-drive and transmission fluid. I cleaned the starter. I had the entire bike cleaned by the guys at the BMW dealership.

The bike kept dying, and it turned out that a wire had broken in the kill-switch. How did it break? Co-oincidental to the drowning, or from dropping it a kazillion times that same day?

I think I mentioned that my ABS went on the blink. Some guys remove the ABS before going trans-contimental. I've considered what I could do with the extra space- if I was prepping for another big ride, I'd have to keep thinking about whether or not I'd want to keep the ABS. I know it's saved my ass more than a few times. Maybe what I'd do if I wrecked it and there wasn't a BMW dealership around... pull it out, next chance I get? Probably.
  3. Grants

Grants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Btw is it possible to buy some factory made (not necessarily BMW) snorkel kits for deep water crossing? I have seen only Wunderlich air intake / snorkel modification, but the main purpose of it was a power (supplying engine with more air).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Maybe someone can post some pictures of their snorkel modifications? <o:p></o:p>
  4. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Here are pics of what I came up with on the snorkle-
    Not real pretty but it worked. Had 2 650x's and 2 gsa on the ride. The the 2 650x took a swim. The other guy on the gsa with a stock snorkle filled his motor. Mine came through fine. I stalled in the deepest part when I hit a rock so I think the engine breather may have taken a little water in - not sure. I did have a little water in the oil (very little) the oil looked clear once I got home - after running it about 100miles. Bike the bike started right up after we got it through. Time to do some maintance. :D
    Also gona look for the engine breather and see if there is something I can do about that. As soon as a friend post up his video of my crossing I'll give you a link. Video of one of the 650's at the bottom- sorry I don't know how to edit video so you have to turn your head.
    For prep all I did was the snorkle and to fill the connections around the tb's with die electric grease. I need to pull the tank and do all the connections before next time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Here's the video of me crossing - hit a big rock and that stopped me
    [​IMG]
  6. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Very Cool Snorkel.

What does the snorkel intake look like? Could you post a photo of the in-end of the tube?

Where did you get the flex tubing? Is it certified heat/oil resistant? I've fooled around with an extra vacuum cleaner hose, but I should probably get something made for internal combustion engine use.

A one-way purge valve in the airbox would be good. Do you have one?
  7. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Nothing fancy - just some vacuum hose but it seemed to be far enough away from the heat to where it didn't cause a problem. Didn't do anything with the end of the tube just zipped tied it across the crash bar. I'm gona try and do something more perminant - find some better quality hose in black and I'm thinking of running the end up to the side for the front fender and putting a 90 end on it facing forward.
    Didn't have time to pull the airbox and look at it - not even sure if it has a drain?
    Gona tear things down again and try to get things better set-up.
    Real bitch is the way the inlet tube is shaped the only way I could get a tube on there and have the tank fit and clear the bottom a-arm was to run it the way I did. Would be reall cool if some manufacture came out with a snorkle kit. :evil

8. Camo Jo

Camo Jo a lotta Mojo

Oddometer:
    The actual Problem with the 1200's is that the Engine Breather connects to the LOWEST point on the Airbox. (Left hand side on the Engine),
    Any water that enters the Airbox is immediately Drained straight into the engine.

It Does NOT enter the combustion chamber as the intakes have two tubes inside the airbox, so the water runs down, from the air filter, into the bottom of the airbox and into the engine. ( The 1150's had a drain plug in the bottom left of the airbox)

Here is a really cheap way of fixing it permanently:

Material required:

1. 20mm Rubber hose (about 0.5meter)
    2. Some irrigation fiitings (20mm) identify them in the pictures below.
    3. A rubber plug (20mm) normally used for the bottom of some Chair feet.

A. Remove the Air Intake and Air Filter. and cover the engine intakes in the bottom of the air box wwith a cloth.

[​IMG]

B. On the left hand side of the Airbox, Drill the correct size hole in the Airbox as indicated.

[​IMG]

C. Install the Irrigation fittings inside and outside as indicated:

[​IMG]

And inside:

[​IMG]

D. Remove the Existing Breather,

[​IMG]

And fit the Rubber Plug on the Airbox Side, This can now be drained by just pulling it off. The suction inside the airbox will keep this tight, or you cable tie it if you want.

[​IMG]

E. Now install the new breather hose as indicated, Use the existing clamp on the engine side and Cable tie it at the top fitting.

[​IMG]

And there you will never have a problem again. So if you accidentaly drop the bike in a water crossing, you can pick it up, and just drain the airbox once you on dry ground. And no water will enter the engine casings.

You can barely notice it once all the panels are re-fitted.

[​IMG]

A really Cheap and easy mod that can save your Engine, and your trip.

:clap
  9. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    That's genius!! :clap

Thanks for the guided tour on how to do that.
  10. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!! thanks for posting - wish you would have posted a few days earlier - :D
    But I'm glad you posted!!! Any other tip?

11. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I think I understand..you are keeping the crankcase venting intact but moving the intake point high to the left side of the airbox...any water coming in air horn passed the filter will not be able to get high enough to be drawn into the vent opening...

#1 Why the cloth to cover OEM vent openings? They cease to be functional once you put in new outlet to crankcase, correct? Why not seal off the opening?

#2 If the bike is submerged, like falling over which in my case is going to at some point happen, and falls on the left side of the bike the water will still enter crankcase vent...is there anyway for a flapper valve/one way valve inside the airbox either on the OEM or your inlet? As I understand it the vent is to vent high vapor pressures in crankcase into the airbox and not to introduce air from airbox into the crankcase [exception might be putting a hot crankcase into water that is close to or below freezing then a negative pressure could occur in crankcase]...

Great job!

Ps..If anyone can find hose that has a non-corrugated bore...please post that information...laminar flow gets more air with less work..
  12. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys do realize the case vent is put in the lowest portion of the airbox to prevent oiling your air filter.
  13. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    The bore on my hose is smooth.

14. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    don't see how oil could get on the filter with that set-up :huh

15. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nearly all the oil that gets through the vent is vapor.
    And it can collect in the bottom of the box now.
  16. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Camo Jo- This is AWESOME!!!

:clap :clap :clap

I'm on an 1100 so the modifications I'll make are a little different, but this outside-of-the-airbox thinking is fucking brilliant.
  17. Camo Jo

Camo Jo a lotta Mojo

Oddometer:

The Cloth is so as not to get plastic shavings in the air intakes when drilling the hole. ( Obviously remove the cloth afterwards)

If the Bike Falls Over in water, (Snorkel Side)
    The water enters up to the Air filter and soaks it, then runs down to the lowest point. And into the engine with the original setup. You will have to submerge the complete bike to get the water into the throttle bodies.
    If you feel inside the airbox you will feel the two "Funnels" coming from the throttle bodies, bending upwards into the airbox.

If the bike falls over away from the Snorkel, No Problem, water does not enter the air box ( Unless the bike is completely submerged. In which case you will be stupid to run the engine without draining and flushing everything.)

Any water vapour that enters the engine through the "Wet" air filter will just burn off with the Fuel. No Damage. (That's why they use water as well as Nitrous to get more performance in a Nitrous setup)

As for "oiling the Air Filter: The vent is on the opposite side of the filter and the Angled fitting directs the Breather Downwards.
    And if a little oil does get to the Air filter over time, what damage can it do anyway.

(On the 1150 engines the breather is fitted to the top of the Airbox and they don't seem to have any adverese effects.)

Trust me, This works, it's been tested at the local Training Facility.

I have seen a couple of bikes being dropped in water, picked up, only to have the complete engine fail 10 to 15km down the road from the water in the casings. = Expensive Insurance Claim and incovenience.
  18. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    :huh was just repling to your comment on the air filter getting oil on it.

19. Camogary

Camogary Guest

Sort of solves the problem of having the wheels nicked..........just park up at night in a lake on the side stand. Probably stop the luggage thieves too if it's deep enough.
  20. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    boy, there seems to be a whole lot of people saying don't do it you idiot! and only a few who are trying to help you out.
    i'd say you're definately on the right track, being your the only one without water in your oil after the crossing, so fuck the naysayers!
    very fun trip we had, thanks for the day.