Deep water crossing prep?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TBob, Oct 30, 2009.

1. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    problem is getting to the damn thing - man I threw in the towel, more than i was willing to do to get to a breather. If the air box would have came out w/o havint to split the bike in two I had a good idea for the trans breather.
    That was to run a tube up into the airbox. Drill a hole in the bottom of the air box and use a rubber grommet then use a long section of tube from the breather though the grommet and up into the air box.
  2. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    now, that is a good idea. i'd still stick the breather valve thingy on, even though it's in the air box. justin case.
  3. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Why you might need to cross water- here's a reason:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8704886&postcount=52

4. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Bump for Skyrubber.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    On page 9 richoman posted about how to cross... good stuff, and in that post is the only place I've seen in this thread what I think is the possibly the most important part of the crossing technique... the bit about the direction of the current. Crossing even slightly against the current is much harder than if you can keep it behind you. The bottom feels "looser" & moves around more because you are churning more water, and the bow wake is bigger. You will be pushed to the downstream side which moves your landing point and you need to adjust for that... otherwise you might do a successful crossing only to dead end into an unclimbable bank. The effect is magnified as the current speed goes up. The only other thing I can think of is that it is a skill that needs practice like any other outdoor skill. Do easy crossings close to home where rescue is easy... then try harder ones.
  6. OzRob

OzRob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The R1100 does have a gearbox breather...located on top just under the battery tray.....
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    You're right, but 205d. I was wrong, but I changed my tranny fluid anyway.
  8. r1200mike

r1200mike Govt.Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Prepare for a water crosssing. If it was any deeper than the footpegs...BUY A BOAT.
  9. zenriding

zenriding Traveler

Oddometer:
    This is fantastic news. I'm going to prep my GS for the upcoming sheetiron 300. Expect a few creek crossings. I'll post photos.
  10. Toe - Cutter

Toe - Cutter 666

Oddometer:
    I,m with ya tbob.........

plan for the worst,,,, hope for the best.........

my best advice re; deep but doable

1- walk a few lines pre attempt

2- keep that finger hard up against kill switch ,,and shut her down if/ when you submarine......cheers

3- amalgamating tape for sealing, snorkel joints.