Deer suck, could have been worse

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by rusche, Apr 30, 2019.

1. rusche

rusche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well a buddy and I headed for Seattle around noon last Monday, I had an appointment with Richs Custom Seat shop in Kingston for the FJR
    Just past Cle Elum on I90, and suddenly, at about 75 mph, standing on the dotted line, a doe
    I managed to swerve out of the way, despite the little asshole walking the direction of my swerving
    However my friend behind me was not so likely. I watched in my mirror as he clobbered the oversized rat with what appeared to be his crash guard.
    He had a pretty good wobble, but managed to stay upright. Upon further inspection it appears it might have hit the fork leg first
    Crash guard is bent, radiator exploded. Possible bent frame, but thankfully he is totally fine.
    900 lb bike with a 300 lb man at 75 mph, all that I saw was a red mist. Little fella never stood a chance.
    As soon as we pulled over and calmed down a bit, we called AMA for a tow, since we have roadside assistance, to be told that an animal strike is an accident, and is not covered. Pretty disappointed.
    Insurance adjuster will be out tomorrow, we'll see what the damage is.

Watch out for critters folks!

Attached Files:

2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    wow, glad the humans came out OK, not so much for the bike and deer. thanks for the heads up on AMA, I’ve been with them for 20 years, never called for assist, but assumed until now they would have helped me out in a situation like this. may have to redo my insurance policies and add some type of towing coverage.
    Fleksta likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Deer strikes are covered under vehcile comprehensive usually....so if your buddy had that level of insuarnce with roadside, that would have been the call. But there does tend to be a good deal of fuckery any time you are trying to move a bike.
  4. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's just resting. It will be ok... :pep

Glad your buddy didn't get hurt. Sucks that the AMA chose to be a bouquet of p3n1ses.
  5. Fleksta

Fleksta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What difference does it make if it's an accident? A tow is a tow. Should have just said the radiator sprung a leak :muutt

Glad it didn't end up worse...deer and turkey are all over the place around here.
    CCitis likes this.
  6. rusche

rusche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next time I will definitely say my radiator spontaneously combusted!
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is another tip on towing insurance....never mention the F word. Had a caliper seize on the motorhome which cause a 3 fire extinguisher fire(I carry 2) on the left inside tire. Thanks to a trucker I got the tire put out.....no other damage to at all. I mentioned the F word and the towing insurance company said "accident" call your auto insurance. It was hours on the phone but they finally relented....so from now on it's "mechanical failure" only.

You buddy is lucky, not many stay upright after a deer strike.
  8. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have AAA on all my vehicles and they have been stellar when I needed them.