1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Defecting to Italy: My life with a Stelvio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by aftCG, Nov 25, 2016.

1. geoduch

geoduch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The spacers showed up yesterday... 4 pieces = 2 installs, Kirby and George... correct? the packaging was damaged and I want to make sure we didn't lose anything
    joe cool, Festus and aftCG like this.
  2. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you should have 4 pieces for two installs. Glad to know the USPS hasn't lost their "touch".
  3. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mountain View Motorcycle Campground, Elk Park NC
    Just got back from the mailbox, spacers were there, I didn't expect them so quickly. It snowed most of the day yesterday so no mailbox run. I also am using nylon spacers from Lowe's. The new spacers will go in tomorrow. Will update after installation.
    geoduch and aftCG like this.
  4. bar-low

bar-low ''son of the wind''

Oddometer:
    thanks for all your removal information, next time I'm reading this to freshen up !!
    aftCG and geoduch like this.
  5. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed my spacers yesterday, should get in a ride this weekend. The bolts on the headstock were both just snug, good idea to check those.
    geoduch and aftCG like this.
  6. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a ride and the spacers worked great. The new spacers are approximately 3mm thicker than the round nylon shims that I had stacked under the mounts. Air flow is smooth and the windshield seems to have less movement with the solid block mounts also.
    joe cool, BMDADV and geoduch like this.
  7. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    You would think I live in Australia! Mine have not showed up yet :(. No matter, it was -25°C here a couple of days ago :vardy.
  8. Festus

Festus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone in customs has a Stelvio.
    BMDADV likes this.
  9. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just found the tracking number in my jacket pocket. It shows that it delivered yesterday, so let me know if that is fake news.

LH090225574US
    Festus likes this.
  10. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    It's here!
    Dracula, aftCG and Festus like this.
  11. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    Didn't think I'd have to reference your thread but I guess age is catching up with me! Finally got around to installing the spacers. Man do I miss living stateside! $11 for 4 hex stainless screws and washers, and they took 3 days to get to boot!

IMG_20200229_172814.jpg

Ran into a snag putting it all back together, as where your screw holding the bottom of the headlight shroud was missing, my black washer/spacwr going into the rubber grommet was AWOL! The plastic slot on the headlight housing is mangled as I guess the factory ran out of washers and decided to just torque it down without one :bash.

Off to the dealer tomorrow with the headlight assembly to see if I can source one. Is it just me, or is nothing ever simple?!
    Festus, geoduch and Dons1911 like this.
  12. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could you post a pic if the mangled area? I don't recall a rubber boot on mine...
    Festus likes this.
  13. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    The rubber grommet is shown in this picture.
    IMG_20200301_114724.jpg

The spacer in the middle of the 2nd picture is what was missing which holds the rubber in shape.
    IMG_20200301_114751.jpg
    The last picture is of the damage because it was missing. That washer is on the underside, and the black one is sandwiched in the middle between the housing and the rubber grommet. Sorry, not sure how else to explain it...
    IMG_20200301_114640.jpg
  14. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I didn't recall any grommets on mine, but I just went and looked. They are there and in good shape. Guess I'm lucky!
  15. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if a skidplate for a Stelvio will fit a B1100? I've asked my dealer and a few others, no one seems to know. Thanks in advance for any info!
  16. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the Breva’s sump have the threaded bores to receive the hardware?
  17. aftCG

aftCG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would need to see the sump spacer and possibly have you take a few measurements
    slowpoke69 and Dons1911 like this.
  18. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try to keep that in mind when she's back from the dealer. THANKS! No one else could seem to tell me ANYTHING, even the dealer!
    Dons1911 likes this.
  19. Doc.

Doc. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be a 'Sweet-Spot' for the Angle, depending on your height, how you sit, the position of your Bars, etc.
    But, the most important thing is to get air flowing up the inside of the Screen.
    That makes it act like an Aerofoil, without it, it's just an expensive Windbreak.
    That's why all the Screen Add-Ons you can buy are mounted so there's a gap between them and the Screen, and aren't just added to the top, making the Screen 'taller'.

I found out a couple of years ago, that the (small) Screen on my early Stelvio worked better upside down.
    Due to the position of the mounting holes though, it was too low to be really effective.
    I'd already spaced the Mounting Rails out by 15mm or so soon after I got it (Sep '15), but that didn't really improve it.

I've since made some Extension Plates, which lift it by approx 90mm, and space it further forward by approx 40mm, huge improvement!!

I'd say it's just about perfect for me now, Airflow goes just above my Helmet once over 45mph or so, and it get's smoother the faster I go.

ScreenLift1.jpg
    ScreenRaise.jpg

**That's the screen I shortened when I first flipped it over, and the slightly shorter first version of the Plates.
    I now have the longer Plates fitted.**
    ScreenLift4.jpg
    Dracula, Lupin 3rd and aftCG like this.
  20. BMDADV

BMDADV 2017 Stelvio NTX

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to getting the nose back together after the fiasco with the missing spacer under the headlight.

Here's a before and after shot to show the difference in clearance:
    IMG_20200224_154447.jpg IMG_20200308_142217.jpg