Definitely NOT shiny - Reverse Phone Lookup

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Fire Escape, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there actually a reverse phone number lookup that works without paying to get a 'surveillance' report on the caller? I don't answer my cell phone anymore unless the caller is already in my contacts, just too many 'extend your vehicle warranty' and fix your credit' calls vs those from people I actually know. I have used the 'Intellius' lookup for a long time but now can't remember the last time they actually gave me a name to go with the number so I could tell if it was someone I wanted to call back. What is the consensus, do you answer unknown calls? Is there anyway to tell who is calling? My cell phone is still one that folds in half so 'smartphone' apps are of little use (to me).
    Thank you.

Bruce
  2. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer

Oddometer:
    My phone folds, too. I may need a new one soon. After going through a full laundry wash, the battery only lasts a week.

I just do a google search on the 10 digit phone number. The results will be clues. Maybe it's been reported as a scam number or it may appear in an ad somewhere. I don't know of a site that just gives a name without paying or joining.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    I use white pages. It gives you enough info to know it's spam. VoIP? No registered user? = Machine call.
    image.png
    image.png
  4. Ghoti

Ghoti Sooper Brane

Oddometer:
    I don't answer and if they don't leave a message I block the number. If they leave a spam message I block the number.

Googling the number will usually show if it's spam. Whocalledme is popular.
  5. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I was doing this but realized that such callers were moving to the very next number in the sequence, or one that's off by just a digit or two elsewhere. Got tired of blocking every freakin' number that called me.

Such things become particularly annoying when selling something on CL and trying to field calls from CL flakes in addition to the robocalls. Not enough hours in the day for that crap.
  6. Ghoti

Ghoti Sooper Brane

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Some phones let you block numbers by the first few digits. You should also be able to have your carrier block spam calls, I forget the number you enter.
  7. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I don't get the same spam number calling me more than once, that I've noticed. It takes more time to block the number, and they don't call from it again so what's the point. I just answer every call with a smile like I was taught many years ago. Then, I buy whatever they are selling because I don't wish to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 for whitepages.com

I’ve used them for years. If they don’t at least tell you it’s a mobile or land line in a particular area, it’s a junk call. You won’t get the name very often, but it is easy to tell when it’s spam/robo.
    SmittyBlackstone and dlearl476 like this.
  9. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Most spammers I have seen recently are spoofing their numbers anyway, so reversing it wouldn't a lot of times. Especially if the number has the same area code and prefix as my phone number. When I'm king, there will be a special low security but really annoying prison for telemarketers and whoever inventer plastic blister packs.
  10. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Number spoofing is very easy, so blocking the number you may block a genuine number ...

Now a days, if I see a unknown number, I pick up and stay silent... if its a genuine human, they will speak up.

Many robocalls, now a days check for a voice response before they star their pitch, remain silent for few seconds cause them to cancell the call...

The latest calls I am getting are from SSN for blocking my SSN due to fraudulent activity :)
  11. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Similar to that, I say "Hello". If you don't get an immediate response, it is because it was auto-dialed and there is a delay for it to transfer to the telemarketer.

In other words, if you call me, you have about one freaking second to speak up or you are dead to me.
  12. Yamarocket630

Yamarocket630 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We use at&t and I use their "call protect" app. It hasnt totally stopped the robo calls, but they are reduced greatly.

Ghoti and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 'spoofed' numbers are a real joy. A friend got called from 'his own number', said he didn't dare answer that as it might be himself telling him he was dead! I was saving the numbers with some 'expletive deleted' adjective, that way I would know when the phone said the name that I had already dealt with the caller but I haven't had a repeat number in quite a while.
    I just used 'whocalledme' to check out a pile of numbers that were in my phone, they all came back as 'undefined location' and were erased. I also erased a number of legitimate numbers that I did not want to get calls from ... because the 'owners' are dead. Guess it was well past time to clean out the phone!

Bruce
  14. BigRedDuc

BigRedDuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I'm in the mood I say "Hello" once and then again every time the voice starts until it stops. I did get an actual person today and it was great.
  15. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    The only time I've ever got a name when it was a regular phone in a land line. Wrong number. I've got business names a few times. There was a time when a lot of that stuff was free. It was only if you wanted the criminal record or relatives that they charged.
  16. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I'm retired and I don't give a shit. I only allow callers in my address book to ring through. Every other number is sent straight to voicemail where they rot in voicemail eternity.
  17. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I let them go to voicemail, or if no voicemail, I'll call back and see what answers. You gotta be bored to take the time. My 13 yo son just asks the telemarketer if they like nachos, and they usually hang up quick. Cracks me up with his quiet kid voice.
  18. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Long timer

Oddometer:
    Limited options on a flipper.

I've been using Google Fi for phone service power much since it's inception and can say with confidence that they have the best spam blocking out there.

On the odd chance that an unknown number gets through, you can use their call screening service before answering to see who's on the other end.
  19. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

A friend used to hand the phone to his preteen daughter and say 'Tell him about your dream', This was 20 years ago when it was often 'real people doing the dialing, some of them would hold on for quite a while hoping that an adult would end up on the phone .....

Bruce
  20. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My cell number hasn't changed in years, and I moved to a different area code since that time. Many of the spam calls I get are from the old area code, so I never answer those because I don't know anybody there aside from one person.
    Yamarocket630 likes this.