DELAWARE, from Lewes Beach to Cheasepeake Bridge.

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by POLPO, Apr 30, 2011.

1. POLPO

POLPO In Italy is Octopus.

Oddometer:
    Hi, my name is Massimo, I'm a 48 dual sport rider in Italy, next july I'll ride across USA with my XR 650 L in dirt roads to reach the TAT in Jellico TN.
    Please, I'm looking for gps file about the leg in the title. I know that that area is a lot urbanized and may be I can ride just on small back roads and not on dirt but who knows!
    Sorry for my simple english.

Thanks.

Massimo.
  2. tmcdougall

tmcdougall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cannot help with GPS files but I know that Delaware paved all their state maintained roads about 5 or 6 years ago... I was raised in Georgetown, about 20-25 miles from Lewes. Haven't been exploring there in several years. Once you get to Maryland you may be able to find some dirt. There are lots of backroads, or at least a lot for a small state. Are you planning on riding across the bay bridge or north up and over?

Have a great trip.
  3. POLPO

POLPO In Italy is Octopus.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your answer, means that the first day of the trip is gonna be a kind of breaking in. Ok, I'll get a Delaware map so I can ride in back roads.
    My plan is to reach Maryland through the Bay bridge.

Thanks again.

Massimo.
  4. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
  5. pwlindo

pwlindo I can do this! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Massimo,

A couple of years ago I rode from my home in Connecticut to North Carolina via Lewes, Delaware and the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel/Bridge. After taking the ferry from Cape May, NJ to Lewes I went south on the Coastal Highway. This road runs right along the Atlantic coast of Maryland and is very pretty. I went inland a little at Ocean City, MD and then back out to the coast to get to Assateague Island State Park where there is a good campground right on the ocean. It's a very nice spot. The ride from Assateague to the Bridge/Tunnel is all highway riding, Rt 113 is not bad. It's a two lane highway with little traffic. This connects to Rt13 which goes to the bridge. RT13 is a four lane highway but the traffic wasn't bad. There are probably other ways to go but I took the most direct route. The tunnel/bridge is an unusual and fun ride.

If it fits into your plans I recommend going back to the coast after Norfolk, VA and riding down Cape Hatteras. That is also a very pretty ride.

All the roads I have mentioned are paved, no dirt, but I really enjoyed them.

Paul