DelMarVA, Mid-Atlantic, New England. Lake Ontario. Appalachian Mountains.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The_Precious_Juice, Aug 19, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Greetings fellow riders,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Time to start planning for a third trip this year.<o:p></o:p>
    The Run Down: Ride up the eastern shore of VA into Delaware and keep to the east in order to see the Mid-Atlantic and New England coast. Ride west to visit the Lake Ontario and return via the Appalachian Mountains. <o:p></o:p>
    The worst part of hurricane season will be over. Plus, the urban jungle will start to cool down a little. One the way back it will be about 3 weeks before the first snow in VA. It will be a little chilly in Maine the first couple of weeks of October. There will be a good amount of tourist during this time of year. It can&#8217;t be helped. At least the tress will be awesome. <o:p></o:p>
    Departure:<o:p></o:p>
    Monday, 22 September, 2014<o:p></o:p>
    Back ground:<o:p></o:p>
    First and for most, this is a New Hampshire trip, with the bonus of going to states I&#8217;ve never been to. <o:p></o:p>
    I have only been north of the Mason Dixion Line a couple of times. Visting D.C. and a short lay over in Maine on the way to southwest Asia.<o:p></o:p>
    I am still transitioning from 6 years in the Navy, so after drafting the next 3 year outlook, it looks like this fall will be the best time to make this tour. <o:p></o:p>
    Mount:<o:p></o:p>
    The Mighty DR. Seeing how there are going to be a lot of urban assaults on the first leg of the tour, a small vic with a spongy suspension would do fine. <o:p></o:p>
    North of Mass, I will enjoy her mild off roading abilities. <o:p></o:p>
    South of up state New York, she will do well in the backs roads in the Appalachian Mountains. <o:p></o:p>
    The 3.4 gallon gas tank will offer plenty of range.
    With the weather cooling down, the air/oil cooled engine should not be too taxed on the first leg up the coast.
    The highest elevation will be 7,000+ feet at the most, so the carb engine will be fine. <o:p></o:p>
    Attitude:<o:p></o:p>
    Lastly, the tour will be about 30-40 days, so that will be about 100-75 miles/day. Classic thumper mileage.<o:p></o:p>
    Things will be fairly fluid and spontaneous. <o:p></o:p>
    Basically about 10 days to get there. 14 days in New Hampshire and in Maine, 10 days to ride back to the Old Dominion State.<o:p></o:p>
    On the way back down keep to the west in order to visit Lake Ontario.<o:p></o:p>
    Route:<o:p></o:p>
    VA: Just back roads to Virginia Beach. Will slab it out and get there in one day. I should stay two nights or so there visiting friends and family. <o:p></o:p>
    Maryland: After riding through the under water bridge I will cruise through the Eastern Shore of VA and be in Maryland in no time. <o:p></o:p>
    DE: Just ride straight north and hook northeast at Wilmington. <o:p></o:p>
    PA: I may go into Philly if the atmospherics are looking good. <o:p></o:p>
    N.J.: At some point I have to cross over to the Garden State. No other way to get to New York City from the south. <o:p></o:p>
    NY: I do not have anything special to do in New York City. I am not a big city guy. So like Philly, things will be fluid and spontaneous. It would be neat to ride through Times Square during a lull in traffic (0245 in the morning?) Riding out to Long Island and taking a Ferry to CT sounds kind of neat. <o:p></o:p>
    CT: Will just make a B line to Rhode Island. Seeing some old colonial stuff would be swell. <o:p></o:p>
    RI: Being a Anne Hutchison fan, I will tour a much of RI. After visiting Providence, I will go down to Portsmouth and then cross into MA<o:p></o:p>
    MA: will ride out to Cape Cod and then hug the coast toward Boston. I would like to visit this big city just to see how things look after the Big Dig. Will ride straight north from Boston. <o:p></o:p>
    NH: Interested in as far north as Coos County and the surrounding Great Northern Forest region. Of course the White Mountains and the Presidents will be toured. As typed above, I will spend a good amount of time here. Should do some hiking and such.<o:p></o:p>
    Maine: Starting in northern New Hampshire, do a arc to Acadia National Park. Spend a couple of days there. Work my way back to New Hampshire!<o:p></o:p>
    NH: Kind of work my way north west so that I spend at least a couple of hundred miles in Vermont.<o:p></o:p>
    VT: Set things up so that I can ride from southern VT to Lake Ontario<o:p></o:p>
    New York: Maybe ride the Lake shore for a spell before making a B line to Gettysburg, PA.<o:p></o:p>
    PA: Nothing planned in the northern and central regions. Will see the Civil War Park.<o:p></o:p>
    Maryland: Could go by Antietam to see the battle grounds. <o:p></o:p>
    West Virginia: Quick stop over to see the Appalachian Trail H.Q.s and see some Jim Brown history. <o:p></o:p>
    Virginia: Marshall (Fauquier County) to possibly see a college buddy. <o:p></o:p>
    Maybe Fredericksburg, to see the Civil War History.<o:p></o:p>
    Depending upon how I am doing with moral, and how the DR is doing, and lastly how the weather is looking in late, late October, I could ride down to Williamsburg to see some more colonial history. Yorktown would be neat. <o:p></o:p>
    On the way back west, stop off at Appomattox Court House and see how things are going for the 150<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary next year. Do the same in Bedford and see how the Bedford Boys are doing at the National D- Day memorial. Finally back to the base camp. <o:p></o:p>
    Logistics and Planning:<o:p></o:p>
    Unlike the west where there are plenty of national forest to camp in, I will have to network and stay over at houses (back yards camping). Fortunately, there are plenty of opportunities here.<o:p></o:p>
    Looks like north of MA things start to get woodland; so I should be good. I will need to give the Moose a good amount of distance when out and about. It is their mating season.<o:p></o:p>
    I do not plan on doing much off-roading on this trip. The first leg will be damn near all tarmac. As typed above, opportunities will arise north of MA. Up state and western NY could offer some dirt roads and forest roads.<o:p></o:p>
    If anyone has any recommendations for places to go, please let me know. <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for reading.<o:p></o:p>
    Lots of luck to you and yours.
  2. Banana12

Banana12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would recommend MD-213, MD-313, and DE-9 as possible routes to consider.

MD-213 runs near the Chesapeake Bay through small towns. It starts by Chesapeake College right off route 50 and runs all the way up past I-95 and becomes PA-841 when you cross state lines.

MD-313 is similar, but more inland. It starts further south, a little west of Salisbury off route 50 and runs north, ending into 213 at Galena near the Sassafras river. Both are enjoyable alternatives to the highway and allow easy access to jump on or off US-301 if you need to make up time.

DE-9 will run from south of Dover all the way into Wilmington along the Delaware river. This is the only worthwhile route (I can think of) in northern DE if you do not want to ride slab. It rides through small and historic towns and offers great views of the Delaware and marshlands.

It is easy some part of all of these. It may be possible to some light "off-road" miles by riding down the gravel road along the levies of the C&D Canal. Route 9 and Route 213 both happen to cross the C&D at the furthest points East and West respectively. I will have to check the accessibility and report back as I have not ridden the levies in several years.
  3. tmcdougall

tmcdougall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I head back to Delaware to visit the folks my preferred route is route 9. I would say that it is about the most scenic north/south road. I would caution to pay attention to the speed limits though.
  4. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

I looked over my nav app.

I will keep the 213 and 313 under consideration. I like small towns.

What do you think of riding up the beach on DE-1. Straight road, but could be scenic.

I looked at DE-9 and like that route. I would like to ride through Dover and DuPont country.
    I'm tracking on what the Chesapeake and Delaware canal is.
    No worries on looking up the accessibility. It is better to ask for forgiveness, then permission. That is the moto that the DR and I go by. :freaky

JK.
    Thanks again.
    Have a great weekend.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Yeah, I'm leaning toward route 9 myself.

Thanks for the sugguesition.
  6. Banana12

Banana12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The lower part of DE-1 could be nice if you have not been on it before. It will run through the beach towns/along the ocean at low speeds. You can ride through Ocean City, MD and just keep heading north all the way to Dover. Route one picks up speed north of Rehoboth and goes through mostly farm land until you get to Dover AFB where it becomes an expressway. Be warned, DE-1 gets horrible beach traffic; Southbound on Fridays and Saturday morning and Northbound on Sundays.

As for the levies, they certainly can be ridden, I'm just not sure if they go uninterrupted from end to the other. May depend on what level of off-road riding you and the Mighty DR are up for :D
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the quick replys and helping hands.

Hopefully, I will only need hook ups in the Mid-Atlantic sea borad area, but it is good to have some contacts along the way in case something happens.

Have a great weekend.

Meanwhile, I watched the 6:30pm news yesterday and it is good to see that the summer has been kind to the Mid-Atlantic coast region.:1drink
  8. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Thanks again.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Hey,

I did not type this before.

If anyone knows any good trail towns that the AT runs through or close by, please let me know.
    I may hike her in the next three years or so.

Thanks for reading.
  10. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best way through jersey is the northwest. There's no interstates on that side (north/south) but the smaller roads are very nice. Delaware water gap is surprisingly nice, nothing like you'd expect in jersey. Plus, the Appalachian trail goes through there.

I-80 is the fastest way to nyc from that area, nut it gets crazier the closer y,ou get.

There's a few options to 'ride' in NYC. To be honest, I would park and take the train, but of you must ride there, then it's either tunnels or bridges. It's possible to get in/out without sitting for hours, but it take timing and flexibility.

Times Square is cool to see at night, but you really can't drive through it like you used to. They closed a few blocks off to traffic, so what few roads are possible, are mostly gridlocked. Thanks to e tourism boom, the square area is ALWAYS packed (and not for the better)

The best view of New York, in my opinion, is from jersey city. The shoreline is all a very nice park, and the nighttime or sunset view of lower manhattan is very dramatic. Basically, you get all of the buildings reflecting off the water. You can also see the Statue of Liberty, but to be honest, it's smaller than you think.

I found the most dramatic way to enter the city is from Staten Island over the Varrizanos bridge into Brooklyn. The bridge is huge, and you're above most of lower Manhattan as you arrive into Brooklyn. Like jersey city, you have the best. View of the city, and Brooklyn is no slouch either.

For 'riding' in the city, try the high or low number avenues past midnight. You can actually get some speed at though hours and little traffic (unlike 5th -8th avenues) The village/lower manhattan is very cool, but not for riding. Streets are a cluster F to figure out.
  11. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pity you aren't going into Canada. The Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Island part of Nova Scotia is well worth the ride.
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

I'll process this info and come up with some routes based upon where I will be going to that day in the city.

Thanks fkr the AT scouting report!
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Everything is fluid, and I will bring my Passport. Who knows.

I looked up the Island on the map. Would be a great side journy for about a week.

Thanks for the feedback.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    My cousin would like me ship some brews back home if possible.

Does anyone have a scouting report on the following:

The breweries are The Alchemist Brewery,
    Hill Farmstead Brewery, and
    Lawsons Finest Liquids.

Thanks for reading
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Finest liquids is in Warren. No prop.
    Hills farmstead brewery is in G. Bend. No prop.
    Alchemist brewery. In Waterbury. No prop.

They are rigbt cllse to eaxh other.

I can tour through here.

Ben and Jerry country too.

Yeah, I am liking this.:deal
  16. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Looks like you can not ship brews around.
    Opps.

I do not have enough room to be a boot legger.

East bound and down? :1drink
  17. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Thanks to your insight, I have two avenues of approach.
    It will depend on several factors.
    Time of week
    Time of day
    Road/construction conditions
    Weather
    Contacts on the ground.

1. I will most likely ride into New York City from Staten Island. I will take the Varrizanos Bridge like you typed. I'll take the 440 from New Jersey to get to Staten Island.
    __

2. I looked up the Delaware Water Gap National Recreaion Area. Neat. :1drink

If the weather is looking good, I think it would be hard not to stay a night here before pushing into New York the next day. :deal

It is maybe 70-80 miles from DE Water Gap to NY city.

__
    Do you know of any good internet sights that have good traffic alerts for the NY city area?

__
    Thanks for reading and the insight on the AO.
  18. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    ORIENT POINT To NEW LONDON

Cross Sound Ferry Service.
    $29.20.

Bridgeport and Port Jefferson ferry
    $30.

Does this seem about right?

Seeing how time is money, and I have plenty of time, it would be about the same fuel costs and more touring to do a loop on Long Island and travel through The Bronx and along the CT coast or maybe toward Danbury, CT and then due east to New London.

"Don't work for your time, have your time work for you"
  19. Rochesterue

Rochesterue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a response to the PM for tent space, you're more than welcome here in Syracuse during the week. Saw on your profile you're into Forestry, I go to the NY Forestry school. Come out- we'll have a good time.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:

Cool.

I got your response. Thanks for the hook.

I most likely will travel through Syracuse. It is on a direct path to G'burg, PA. I will be coming from Watertown or there abouts.

There should be a lot of KTM riders around town. :D

Edit:
    I'll make sure I tour through during the correct day of the week.