DelMarVA, Mid-Atlantic, New England. Lake Ontario. Appalachian Mountains.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by The_Precious_Juice, Aug 19, 2014.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Riding through Eastview, PA was maybe the best ride of the tour. Good mix of hard packed gravel. Twisty turns, open valley, great views. Amish and country folk. Saw a dude riding a kids size wagon down a hill (Amish). Sign me up.:deal
  2. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Location.
    AT Conservacy.

Depart Harpers Ferry, WV and take the Blue Ridege MTs. South to Culpepper.

Yesterday was the high water mark of the tour. :evil
    And Antetium to the south.

Maryland is junk for road signs but cheapest gas.

PA stole the show for best riding.
    Ligjt traffic
    Amazing tarmac
    Excellent signage.
    Forest roads you could take a Honda ADV MC on and have a good time.

TheGreatWhiteHunter did a great favor by telling me tk go straight south from Watglens Glen.
    Tioga county is really great to tour.

Wish the Nitny Lions wouod have won.

Could be back at the base camp by Weds .
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    keep on truckin'
  4. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I shoud swing by to the east and check out some more battlefields or rideback to Rke.

Should depart around 11:00.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Relax in Culpepper

Tomorrow will push in Rke.

Not sure what route.

29 south maybe.
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Will ride to App. Court house before base camp and ending the tour.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Made it home safe.

The leaves have barley fallen.

The ice cream truck is still driving around.

A motorist asked if I needed any help while at a stop.

Lots of light out still.

Good to be south of the Potomac River.

Will post a ride report this winter.
    Still need to do the west trip rr.

Thanks again for the helping hands along the way.

Have a good'n
  8. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    34 days is a long ride. Props to you for doing it. Most I ever did was 9 days and I was staying in Hotels and with friends. I was very glad to get home. I'm sure you were too.

How'd the big DR hold up in your estimation and what would be better if anything about could be changed?
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Will answer later.

Thanks for the excuse to discuss the MIGHTY DR.:D
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind the DR is stock. Just a Twisted Throttle Skid Plate for insurace.

Keep in mind, that I had not ridden in around 15 years.
    My orginial estimation from reading on the internet that I would be happy with the MC has held through 21+ thousand miles later.

I am very fortunate. I have not gotten tired of the low end torque. She has plenty of get up and go. Granted I am 162lbs or so.
    I could have went with a 250cc, but decided more versality and range with the Mighty DR. I do not like mods.

I orginially estimated that the MC would be junk off road, and that the trail wings were junk tyres.
    But that may have been internet hype.
    The Mighty DR can actually do single track. The stock progressive suspension, although kind of clumsy on the street in parking lights and at really slow speeds is actually ok off road with a little momuntum, actually gets the damn job done. But it is slow signle track, not grip and rip stuff.

I am really lucky that the DR fits my persoanlity so well.
    I believe that liking the engine is the most important thing on your transportation.
    After that should be the transmission. I like that she is manual (duhh) and the gear ratios, although the first 4 are close (1-3 big time), allow good highway speeds thanks to the 5th gear.
    You have to shift a lot on the tarmac, BUT off road the MC is actually really forgiving to the novice rider. The torque is so low, that you do not have to shift as much to get around.:evil

Changes.
    For me, maybe an inch more height on the bars. But, I am ok with with her now. I rolled them up and inch and then tightned them back down and like it.

I can live with the mirrors. Even though they are pitiful. :cry
    Not having a wind shield is ok if the milage stays below 150 miles/day on long tours.
    Important: If you do not have her dialed in on the ergos. Not fun times. My first tour was not very comfortable. Well it was cold.

If I stay on top of the Dirt Bike foot pegs with zip ties and foam I will be good. I am a good canidate for the Yamaha 700 Tenere Unicorn.

I am going into commuter mode and just have the stock seat and a sheep skin pad. I should be good if the round trip is less than 5 miles.:lol3

JK. If the round trip is less than 30.:D

I am a really timid rider, I just now started to work on breaking while standing. I like to stand to see over the next rise, then seat back down. Always looking for an excuse to rest the iron butt. :eek1
    My dirt skills really are still a 2/10. So clearly I am not pushing the DR to her limits on forest roads.

I did start riding a little more aggreasively on the tour. Cape Cod is a finishing school for offensive riding.

I actually started to do some lane splitting on this tour. Just some easy stuff, no ferry cuts.

Love to cut the diamond in the curves. I tend to go too slow in the curves and end up getting close to the double yellow, so I started to diamond cut. At the apix I am the farthers from the double yellow. Do not want to cost up there.

__
    As typed before. I had narrowed her down to a DR and a S10. I talked myself into a DR.

1. Did not want to drop the Candy Yams and cause damage
    2. I never would have know if I could have done it on a cheaper MC.
    3. Interested in lighter MC for stealth camping.

Hopefully I will post the ride reports by Feb or so. This time they will be based on how it will help the reader when they go through the region. So more pics and less words.

Have a great weekend.
  11. Tgiby3

Tgiby3 Triumph Street RAT

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys!
    I know it's cold, but just wanted to see if the "Delmarva" are is still riding! I'm in northern VA, got super thermals on order and expected to be delivered in a few days.

If we get a slight bit of heat, anyone looking to ride?

For now, Asphalt only.